It's my one year anniversary today! Happy Birthday Piggy!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SASKIA

Wow, I made it. Never has a year gone by so quickly and at times so agonisingly slowly.

I remember (it seemed like all of a sudden, and basically, it was) in October 2009 I could no longer breathe properly when I walked. Stairs would literally take a whole hour to recover from climbing. Tightness in my chest was ever present and I could feel my heart big in my body. It was oversized and I was aware of every extra bit of it.

Then it was surgery eve, miraculously in a private room (thank you God) with my Mum who had flown all the way from New Zealand to London two days before. Feeling that if I had the energy I might tie up those sheets and shimmy out the window... Mum had to go out for a while to get something to eat and I sat and watched home videos on my laptop, every now and then when I least expected it an icy bucket of realisation would pour over me; I was going to be cut open tomorrow.

And there were funny moments too; I remember waking up from the surgery and a dream of being in a desert where I had eaten all the sand. I was so thirsty but could not speak for the tube in my throat and my swollen lips. Mum was there, this I vaguely knew, and I wrenched my hand free of tight sheets to write in cursive hand in the air, 'I am really really really thirsty'. I remember it was so important that it be joined up beautifully (that is drugs for you :tongue2: ) Of course it would have made far more sense to write WATER! and of course, she had no idea what I was trying to say and we were both frustrated and upset trying to get the message.

And since then, I have met new family that I will keep in touch with always, discovered a love for dogs, become MUCH closer with my own family, had about 200 migraines, returned to work, had many hours of counselling which has been invaluable to me and which I recommend to everyone who has heart surgery.

I am beginning to learn patience with myself! and have more peace. I have more good days than bad now and can appreciate the small things in life.

All in all, what a year! I'm not sure how I feel about this first anniversary, but it has been nice to take the time to reflect.

Thanks for being there in the earlier months when I felt desperate and alone.

Saskia

Happy 1st valversary, Saskia. It is a biggie and one to celebrate! Thanks for the very important reminder, that there is also emotional healing that needs to take place along with the physical recovery from this type of surgery. it can take time.
Wishing you many more years of good health.

Last edited:
Hello Saskia!

Congratualtions on one year! That's just TERRIFIC. It's an important milestone.

Take care!

I did much of the same after I came out of both comas ....wrote in air mumbled a LOT and could not understand why they DIDN'T GET IT ....after second coma they got me a white board (I wish i had had a camera to record the scribble) only to come in and find me administering tatoos and redesigning my hospital threads ....I must have wanted to get in on the fall runway galas :biggrin2:

so enjoy the first anniversary and as each passes they only get sweeter as you realise what you DIDN'T miss for yet another year

congrats.gif

Latest posts

Back