It's Aug 19th and I'm 3 weeks post op :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAVD John

Well for the benefit of those waiting on the other side I'd thought I'd post weekly post op updates for a while. I continue to see some daily improvement in my activity level. My wife and kids can really see some change in dad. The weather has been a bit more favorable for walking. Yesterday I walked around the block 5 times. A big improvement from the 3 times I walked around the block just a few days ago. Getting around the house is no problem and my wife is amazed how well I go up and down the stairs.

My appetite is good and I'm starting to eat like I did before surgery. I hope to keep some of this extra weight off as my pants were getting a little snug before surgery. :) I still have some chest discomfort. Most of the discomfort is on my right side. More of a numbness than pain. I'm still trying to sleep on my sides at night and I find that is still a bit difficult. I have some follow up appointments with the surgeons physician assistant and cardiologist tomorrow at the hospital. My incisions are looking good. I'm looking forward to a good report from the hospital tomorrow.

John, it is very good to hear your progress report. If I may ask, how are feeling after you walk? Are you really tired? One of my concerns is about how quickly stamina will return after surgery. Indeed, everyone is going to have a somewhat different experience but reading your experiences at least gives me some idea of what I might expect of myself. I'm glad to hear your are mending.

Hey John, it's been 3 weeks for me too!....walked around the block today in the heat, and did not get winded at all. Tonight I am walking to the drug store to pick up meds...every day gets better and better! I don't drive and live in Brooklyn New York, so everything I need you can walk to....the benefits of living in the city...lol. My right side incision, is bothering me and my sternum one does not hurt at all....weird.

Linda

I am 4 weeks out from the 3 procedures in my signature. I have far left to catch up to my pre-surgery exercise capacity, but every day is a little better. My favorite exercise is on a recumbent stationary bicycle where I am up to 26 minutes of what feels like relatively high intensity, but I can not push my heart rate much above 120. For now I am on all my pre-surgery medications incl a beta-blocker (at reduced doses) so that keeps the heart rate down. My red blood cell count is also still low, but improving. I would have liked to start a cardiac rehab program now, but my insurance does not cover even part of it, so I am weighing my options.

Everyone, thanks for the support. Mentu, I regards to your walking question I have tried to increase my walking as the temps here in Chicago would allow. I can't really say that I tire easily but I do tire from walking in the warm weather. Today I spent my day at Northwestern Memorial hospital and did alot of walking while I was there and didn't tire at all. It was good to get out of the house. I had my follow up visits today with the surgeons physican assistant and a cardiologist. My reports were good and my wife and I couldn't be happier.

Great report for 3 weeks out! I am just a week behind you and for some reason hitting that 2 week mark was a big deal for me.

Keep the updates coming!

Congrats!

Thanks for the update, John. It always helps those of us in The Waiting Room to hear the good stories.

It also helps me, in that I will be having aortic valve replacement at some future date, and one of the hospitals my cardio recommends is Northwestern. That you're pleased with their work speaks volumes.

Keep up the good work!

Good to see!

Good to see!

John (and the others).

This is really good to see. I remember how good it felt to make daily progress after my first surgery 9 years ago. The think that amazed me most was how quickly my heart size and function changed after loosing a very stenotic BAV.

Keep at it, this is inspirational to those of us in the waiting room!

Bob

John that is fantastic. i am at just under two weeks since my surgery. I am in your neck of the woods just outside of Chicago in Niles. I am feeling good and want to start walking more but want to be careful. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back