Itching sensation w/ warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkK

First,
thanks for the info posted in this forum. The doctors seem limited in providing info on warfarin management. After my AVR on July 29, 2009, my INR bounced around, along with the dosages prescribed by my cardioligist, until I decided to stay at one dose for a month and see what happened with my test results. By staying at 5 mg/day for a month, I was able to see how foods and excercize affected my INR. Things are stable now, and my INR is usually 2.2-3.5 each week.

Second, since starting on warfarin, I seem to start itching 2-3 hours after my evening dose, unless I drink at least 70 ounces of water each day. Anyelse have this problem?

Funny, but I take my dosage after supper every night, and have found that I will get itchy on my right wrist later in the evening every night. I was starting to think it is from the warfarin as well.

I have taken 5mg warfarin for several years without an itching problem. I take mine in the morning. Might be some sort of allergic problem to the dye. I also get some "dry skin" itching during this time of year.

Does this happen all the time or is it sporadic, not itching some days and others, it does?

Some people can be allergic to the dye in drugs. It could be that. I have been itching but I say it is cold weather and drying of the skin.

My itch tends to move around and it's with me all year round.
First to was on the right shoulder blade, I'd scratch until I bled. Before Christmas the itch was at the top of my ears, now it's on my left shoulder blade.

I take 25mg of beta blocker a day and 7mg of warfarin. I just thought it was funny same itch same spot, and no noticeable hives etc.

I definitely had an itching problem with coumadin. I've been on it 3 times and every time, I've had an itch on 3 different areas of my body. I know it was coumadin...it started when I started taking it and went away when I quit.

I also itch. I have been on warfarin for a couple of years switching from coumadin. I don't think the itch was as bad when I took the coumadin. But I have read that itching could be a side effect of both.
But I am also on lanoxin so I am not 100% sure it is the warfarin. I itch all over. On my wrists and back and neck mostly and my skin seems to be a little dryer.

More Itching

More Itching

I take one 5mg generic pill each day before dinner, along w Coreg (3.125mg). Yesterday I did my cardio - 60 minutes on treadmill, and drank ~24 oz water w/ dinner. I try not to drink any fluids after 7pm due to keep from waking during the night to urinate. I am reducing my Bumex (diuretic) slowly. My INR was 3.5 yesterday. Thanks for the replies.

I take one 5mg generic pill each day before dinner, along w Coreg (3.125mg). Yesterday I did my cardio - 60 minutes on treadmill, and drank ~24 oz water w/ dinner. I try not to drink any fluids after 7pm due to keep from waking during the night to urinate. I am reducing my Bumex (diuretic) slowly. My INR was 3.5 yesterday. Thanks for the replies.

Mark:

Get an Rx for 10mg tablets and split them to take 5mg every day. See if that doesn't help.
The 10mg (white tablets) do not contain any food color dyes. The other strength tablets do. It could be that you are allergic to a food color dye.

Latest posts

Back