Is surgery really necessary?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matunucktuna

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and am impressed by the wealth of knowledge and support seen here. I am scheduled for surgery the end of this month. Aside from a little shortness of breath with strenuous exercise, I do not have any symptoms. I am a 63 year old man and take no medications except a multivitamin and one 81mg aspirin a day. I have a bicuspid aortic valve and ascending aortic aneurysm and have been following up with annual electrocardiograms since 1998. The last one indicated mild stenosis and moderate to severe eccentric aortic insufficiency and the aneurysm measured 56mm. I can't help wondering if I am doing the right thing; is surgery really necessary? I know most people would advise me to trust my surgeon, and I do for his operating skills, but like they say..."when you're a hammer everything's a nail".

I was 2 months away from turning 50 and for the most part no symptoms. It was hard to walk thru the doors for surgery. My understanding is that if I did not have my aortic valve replaced that I would eventually end up in congestive heart failure and that is not a fun way to go.

Everyone is different and my experience is that my surgery and recovery was not near as traumatic as I expected. Good luck and I would vote, choose life!

A heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found the site most of the community are OHS brothers and sisters,(read no medical professionals) there are some minimally invasive surgeries as well so ask away, there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future ..... I would vote with Cooker on the choose life or put differently ,,,,what side of the sod do you like waiting really is the worst part so study up and pass time faster

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

I've HAD congestive heart failure. And we all cyber-know someone who barely survived a dissected aortic anuerysm. You don't want either one.

Short answer. YES.

Long answer: Only if you want to live to see 64. or 65, or 70, and preferrably in good health.

Welcome to the forum. You have been very fortunate to make it from age 16, murmur diagnosed, to now before surgery became necessary. You, and your cardio, have watched your condition worsen over the past several years.....and surgery has now become necessary. Not a big deal. I would much prefer to have the corrective surgery at an age when I was still young and active....and before I experienced a serious problem, or severe disability......that can't be corrected.

The last one indicated mild stenosis and moderate to severe eccentric aortic insufficiency and the aneurysm measured 56mm. I can't help wondering if I am doing the right thing; is surgery really necessary? I know most people would advise me to trust my surgeon, and I do for his operating skills, but like they say..."when you're a hammer everything's a nail".

You don't have to just trust your surgeon...you can "consult" the consensus recommendations of the expert surgeons throughout the country by reviewing the relevant practice guidelines for your condition. According to the Thoracic Aortic Disease Guidelines (http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/reprint/j.jacc.2010.02.010v1.pdf), you actually should have already had the surgery. Those with a bicuspid aortic valve are now recommended to have an asymptomatic ascending aortic aneurysm repaired between 4.0 cm and 5.0 cm (50 mm) in size (see Section 15.2 of the Guidelines - page 22 of the pdf).

Is it really necessary? Well, the best surgeon in the country would not be able to guarantee you that it is absolutely necessary in your specific case because no one can guarantee when your particular aorta will fail. But based on the history of biscupid patients in general, failure occurs sooner rather than later, and most importantly, failure can be sudden and life-threatening even in the absence of prior symptoms. And any surgeon can tell you what the risk is if failure (rupture) should happen, and trust me it is not pleasant news.

I walked into pre-surgery at the age of 35 with zero symptoms. It may have felt a little strange instinctively, but there was no question it was the safest decision. Surgeons are in the practice of evaluating risk, and when the risk of surgery is less than the risk of waiting, that's when they recommend surgery.

Now, in the absence of the aneurysm, perhaps your valve could wait a little longer. But when surgeons operate to address one condition, the threshold for related conditions is lowered. In other words, it's the "fix it while we're in there" philosophy to avoid a later surgery. It works both ways. Some have an aneurysm repaired a little early due to a failing valve, some have a valve repaired/replaced a little early to fix a failing aorta.

Most importantly, none of us are trying to put undue fear in your head, we just want you to be aware that oftentimes what's medically best in our lives feels instinctively wrong - primarily because of lack of symptoms. But asymptomatic patients or patients with only mild symptoms are common with valves, and asymptomatic patients are actually the majority with aneurysms. Surgeons want us in the best situation for success, and we're all actually pretty lucky to have a relatively low-risk environment to fix our problems and resume normal lives. You should as well. Best wishes.

First, welcome to the family. Next, do you really need surgery? Good question, I can only speak for myself, but I know I asked myself the very same thing. At 56 I had no symptoms that I felt had anything to do with my heart. Yea, I was short of breath, but I figured I was old, fat and way outta shape so that was my answer. Then I got sick (not heart related) but I was hospitalized and a cardiologist whom I was assigned to in the hospital sat down and had a truly long and truthful talk with me. He ordered tests and showed me the results. So, to cut to the chase about 3 months after our little heart to heart (no pun intended) I had a very very stenotic bicuspid aortic valve replaced. Shoot forward to almost 4 years later and I can definately see as huge difference in my life. So maybe this time you really do need to be "the nail". Best wishes in whatever road you decide to take. :)

Thanks to all for the welcome words of wisdom. I do intend to go through with the scheduled surgery at the end of March. It is comforting to know that many others have had similar feelings leading up to their surgery and it's not simply just "fear of going under the knife". The plan is for a bovine aortic valve and Dacron graft.

I've been a relatively lonely voice here a few times, pointing out that there are psychological benefits to waiting for symptoms before getting the replacement, and those might balance the added risk of added physical problems for some patients. (Basically, having pre-op symptoms shortens the rehab period before you feel better than you did before the operation.)

But if you've already got some symptoms, I think you've run out of reasons to wait. My extra wait almost made me need an MVR on top of my AVR, because the back-pressure from that "moderate to severe eccentric aortic insufficiency" you've got, tends to overload and over-extend the MV. As luck would have it, I got away with a MV repair, but I probably wouldn't have needed that (or 3 months of ACT/Warfarin) if I'd gone in sooner. No regrets here, but it is a tradeoff.

Thanks again for all the encouragement...I think I've delayed having surgery for as long as I could, but now it's probably necessary to prevent irreversible damage. I did ask my surgeon if he thought it was OK to wait until mid-September because my daughter is getting married on September 7, but he strongly advised against waiting any longer.

I did ask my surgeon if he thought it was OK to wait until mid-September because my daughter is getting married on September 7, but he strongly advised against waiting any longer.

If you have the surgery now you should be fine to dance with the bride in September. If you procrastinate.....???, will you even be at the wedding?

Good point Dick0236. I guess when discussing this with my surgeon I was thinking "...what if something goes wrong in surgery...". This was especially because her mother (my wife) passed away in 2010 after a long battle with cancer. I just didn't want her to be without either of her parents at her wedding. But you're correct that the risk of waiting outweighs the risk of surgery.

Matunucktuna, get your surgery as soon as possible, then you will be ready for that father-daughter dance in Sept., I still remember my husband dancing with our daughter and it has been almost 9 years. :)

My aortic stenosis progressed over many years untill one day all the measurements indicated it was time for surgery. I still procrastenated for 6 month because I was "asymptomatic". The surgeon then called me in and in a very excasperated voice told me that sudden death was also a symptom, sometimes the first one.

Then had the surgery and now nearly 3 years later I live my new life to the full.

Yes the run-up to the surgery is very stressful and I often wondered if it was realy necessary, now I know it was!

I shall keep you in my thoughts on the 27th

Latest posts

Back