irregular heart rate.sob with exertion, fatigue, post op AVR, MVR 8 weeks post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RZG

I had a AVR, MVR cabge x1 RCA on 6/23/11 was in and out of afib controlled so no meds. Came home saw cardiologist had event recorder showed pacs pvcs and a 24 hour holter showed freq pvcs pacs stated on metoprplol 12.5 increased to 25 twice a day bp is running low though 90 100 syst. I have sob and increase ectopy with any erertion . I had to really slow down rehab to just slow walking and i still get winded. my pulse ox is good i had a echo looked good no prob says my cardio, chest x ray normal. they are eval my holter and i am so confused i feel i shoud be improving and i am not.anyone have anything simular or ideas i would appreciate feedback
RZG
Rachel

I'm 3 weeks and 2 days post op and get burned out doing simple things, sometimes I feel okay but sometimes not. Just yesterday I was doing a 30 minute walk around the house and at the end I was getting beat, hard to breath and I started sweating, I rested and it got better but wow. I've also had I think bouts of A flutter at times and PVC's I had this in hospital and it has gotten better for no reason my heart will feel like its swimming and all of a 120 beats a minute for awhile. Burns you out. Besides all this I feel the need to take deep breaths often and they are not satisfying but seem to be getting better I think.

Like you my Cardio says don't worry too much about all this you will make a full recovery and life will be great. SIGH... I know your 8 weeks in and I would expect to feel better by then too but doing searches on the forum many people don't and deal with complications for several months and then thing magically get better... SIGH.

Last edited:
Julian and Rachel,
Both of your experiences ring true to my own. The first couple of months I felt sure that I should have been progressing more rapidly than I was, because some of my "classmates" were. It is natural to feel this way, but trust me -- we all really do heal at our own rates. For me, things began to get better more rapidly after about 4 or 5 weeks. I could then do things that some others were doing at 2 or 3 weeks. . . but there were still others who did not reach those particular milestones until some time later. Just give it time. As long as your doc's aren't showing major concern and you don't start feeling worse rather than better, just hang in there.

I'm now almost 6 months out from surgery, and from all the complications I had in the first month or two. I now am the "star" of my rehab class, even jogging a bit instead of walking on the treadmill. I think I'm more able now than I was for the year or so prior to surgery. Keep at it - you will be, too.

Thanks Steve, I think Rachel and I needed to hear that. I'm going to go ahead and be rude and speak for Rachel LOL : ) sorry. I've read a lot of post on this forum and some good advice is not to compare your recovery to others. I truly am seeing my recovery between 3 to 12 MONTH. The key word is initial recovery is 3 to 12 WEEKS, but the "back to life, back to reality" recovery starts after 3 months and beyond if you ask me. Before surgery I didn't see it this way, if I can give anyone advice going into surgery is not to feel bad if 3 months go by and you still don't feel great. Of course you should be making some kind of progress but don't get suicidal if you don't feel ten years younger.

When I was 11 weeks post op it was Christmas and I couldn't even lift my gifts, everything was exhausting.
It does get better, but also I know that the PVCs and PACs are just so freaking annoying that they can ruin any day.
Hang in there.

Thanks for your feedback. I guess I expected to be feeling better by 2 months. Im having rhythm issues Pacs ans Pvcs that i become symptomatic, lightheaded sob fatigue and palpitations and I get very discouraged. Bina you are so right they are annoying!! Im taking metoprolol 25mg and that makes me feel fatigued. Not sure if the beta blocker is making much of a difference. Only been taking it for 3 days so far. I am working on being patient. I want to get my life back but feel scarred that its not going that way. I know things will get better i will focus on that thought!

RGZ
Rachel

Well ill be having a right and left heart cath this week and an echo to rule out anything causing this lack of progression in my recovery. I have radiation heart disease and even though the aortic and mitral valves were replaced They want to check all areas ughhhh!! The hardest part is getting my INR straight again and off the heparin. I ll keep you posted They are talking a possible bivent pacer.

Rachel RZG

Well ill be having a right and left heart cath this week and an echo to rule out anything causing this lack of progression in my recovery. I have radiation heart disease and even though the aortic and mitral valves were replaced They want to check all areas ughhhh!! The hardest part is getting my INR straight again and off the heparin. I ll keep you posted They are talking a possible bivent pacer.

Rachel RZG

Keep us posted! Pacer no big deal...

Rachel RZG
It probably is a good idea to get the cath done and know for sure what is going on so that you can continue
to move forward. Let us all know how it goes. Good Luck !

Best wishes,
I too am going through the same thing. My Cardio told me to be patient and that he would not adjust anything until the 3 month mark as far as meds. So I have backed off my rehab and not been pushing it so hard. VERY Frustrating....

Slow and steady wins the recovery ... I had some issues with fatigue and mine were related to anemia and fluid around the heart ... I had to get a few pints of blood for the anemia and meds for the fluid but all is good now ... it really does take time ... hang in there!!!

I am nine months into surgery for a mitral Valve replacement and am starting to feel better like my old self. Recovery takes its own time and there is nothing you can do. Dont get fooled by others' recovery, that cannot be your benchmark.Medicines have a lot to do with how you progress. I am talking from experience . I was initially discarged from hospital with 50mg of atenolol and atrial flutter. i had a maze procedure done and it took me a good three months for the flutter to go away. I had a lot of PACS during cardiac rehab and still do have occassional skipped beats and pACs. My recent echo came out fine but i still feel that i have ways to go before i can declare myself completely fit, so don't get frustrated it will happen but you need to have patience.

Does anyone else still have a heart murmur, even though their Aortic Valve was replaced ? Julian/Rachel..........I'm with you guys.............healing slow. I have 6 hours of tests coming up on the 25th, with my new Cardiologist............to see why I am not progressing.( He has my rehab on hold) Sick of being SOB.........since I never smoked in my whole life...........makes me a little pissed off , I guess :)
He better get this party started....cause I'm getting Tinkerbell on my right shoulder, for my 60th birthday ( first tattoo of my life)..and I want enough energy and air..........to be able to scream/complain about how bad it is hurting, while the kid does my Tattoo :) winks....
Renee

cath thursday, ill keep you posted, going in wed to start heparin. I wont have a laptop but ill try to get a hold of some other means of comunication.

Thanks for all the feedback!!!!!!
Rachel RZG

Back from hospital, cardiac cath normal the RCA was hard to visualize it filled but not sure if it was from the graft or collaterol circulation. hemodynamics normal and both valves working well. they decreased my lasix felt i was to dry, and metoprolo 12.5 twice a day i will continue, Dr felt we could try Renaxa used for angina and see if it makes a difference. anyone on this drug or have any feedback would be helpful. Went to rehab today did very low level exersice but i tolerated it well. Im hoping to continue upward!!! 7 weeks and positive!!!

Rachel RZG

I had this long plateau where I simply felt like my heart was running on 4 cylinders, and I was a V8. I had a 3 month issue with afib, then it was pvcs, and just feeling like crap. At the 9 month point I started getting stronger, as if the other cylinders were catching on one at a time. Now, 16 months later I feel stronger than I have in years; back in the gym with strength training and jogging. My afib and pvcs got better after I got on Lavasa 4mg a day. I requested this dosage from my cardio after I learned Vanderbilt was conducting a trial to treat afib with fish oil, and the therapeutic dosage was 4mg. I also take COQ10, L- carnitine, D Ribose, and Magnesium.
Everyone is different, so I will not say it always gets better. I will say I was at a point where I never thought I would get over this hump of feeling much older than my age. With increased exercise, diet and patients I was able to come out of the clouds and feel good again. I hope time will do this for you.

Latest posts

Back