Irregular heart beat?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmaceae

I noticed starting yesterday my heart beat changed a bit. Kind of hard to explain but my heart beats about 4-5 times normally then comes a strong "irregular" beat, then seems to skip a beat, then repeats. It does not happen all the time but most of the time. Seems to happen more when reclining back and resting. I really noticed it last night. I am putting in a call to my cardio right now, anyone ever experience this. There is no pain, just an uncomfortable feeling because of the irregular beat. Would you call this an arrhythmia?
Thank you,

It sounds like either pac's or pvc's which cardio's consider "benign" arrythmias. However, those of us who have them know that they can drive you crazy and if you aren't use to having them, they can be disconcerting. If this is your first experience with them, you definitely should have them checked out just to make sure it is nothing more serious.

Kim

It sounds very similar to my PACs, which are truly benign. I hear it and occasionally feel it, but it doesn't bother me. They seem to come on when I am tired or stressed. Actually, many people have irregular heartbeats. I think that we are more aware of them because we are "tuning in" to our hearts. If you have lots of them, they can be irritating. From talking to people that have them, it seems that more people complain about PVCs being bothersome.

Thank you everyone. Just talked to my cardio, he wants to see me this morning. He wanted me to wear a heart monitor but my insurance has not approved it yet. He will do a EKG, he said I may have to stay over night in the hospital if he does not like what he hears, I sure hope not! I had this before the surgery, but not as long as this. Right now the beat is normal, but last night is was doing it every 4th beat or so. I sure hope it does it in his office.

I had the same thing for at least a few months after surgery. 5-6 times per minute, my heart would seem to miss a beat, and then come back with a really strong one a few moments later. Eventually it just went away. Depending on how enlarged your heart was before surgery, it takes time to reshape and PAC's and PVC's are a very normal part of that process.

PAC's (Premature Atrial Contractions) and PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions) both can cause that type of feeling and the sensation of a 'missed beat'. Actually the beat isn't missed, the timing is just off.

There are several types of Beta Blockers which can control those. The first thing your Cardio needs to do is identify exactly what type of irregularity you have, then he can prescribe something that 'should' help. The EKG or 24 hour Holter Monitor 'should' be able to capture those events for proper identification.

'AL Capshaw'

welcome to the world of arrhythmias ;)
Some docs prefer that you "ride it out" and see if they subside as your heart strength improves.
Other docs prescribe a low dose of Beta Blocker, like Metoprolol or Toprol.

Thank you everyone. Just talked to my cardio, he wants to see me this morning. He wanted me to wear a heart monitor but my insurance has not approved it yet. He will do a EKG, he said I may have to stay over night in the hospital if he does not like what he hears, I sure hope not! I had this before the surgery, but not as long as this. Right now the beat is normal, but last night is was doing it every 4th beat or so. I sure hope it does it in his office.

Your cadio is taking good care of you and I hope they are nothing.

PAC's (Premature Atrial Contractions) and PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions) both can cause that type of feeling and the sensation of a 'missed beat'. Actually the beat isn't missed, the timing is just off.

There are several types of Beta Blockers which can control those. The first thing your Cardio needs to do is identify exactly what type of irregularity you have, then he can prescribe something that 'should' help. The EKG or 24 hour Holter Monitor 'should' be able to capture those events for proper identification.

'AL Capshaw'

I noticed from your profile you are not on any medication! or you did not list them. As Al said above, the Holter Monitor will capture these irregular beats and your cardio will act accordingly.

You are in my prayers.

I saw my cardio this morning, took an EKG but of course no PAC's or PVC's during the EKG. He did want a echo so I did that and I did have some arrhythmia's then, so that was good. The cardio will call me tomorrow with the results of the echo. He did mention meds for the arrhythmia but really wants me to wear the heart monitor to see what is going on. So after a fight with the insurance I will pick up the monitor tomorrow.
Talking about insurance, HMO is great if you stay healthy! :D
Seems like you have to fight for everything, could not have a blood test in the office, had to go to my GP, then had to fight to get approved for cardio rehab, then the fight for the monitor, which I could have easily picked up at my cardio's office, but no, have to pick up at the hospital tomorrow. I don't think they realize how hard it is for a person 3 weeks post op from OHS to run around all day for this stuff!
Thank you everyone for the info!

Your cadio is taking good care of you and I hope they are nothing.

I noticed from your profile you are not on any medication! or you did not list them. As Al said above, the Holter Monitor will capture these irregular beats and your cardio will act accordingly.

You are in my prayers.

Eva,
Yep, I am taking meds, they are warfarin, lopressor, prednisone and Darvocet for pain. I also take crestor for cholesterol and zegerid for acid reflux. I am getting the heart monitor tomorrow. Thank you for your prayers!

i experienced (and posted about) the very same thing maybe a month ago or so. went to my cardio, got a 24 hour holter monitor and took note every time i experienced a "skipped beat". they said it was just PVC's that are triggered by certain body positions (mine was laying back in my bed reading) and that they were benign. they raised my daily Atenolol from 75 to 100mg and it seems to have really helped a lot.

welcome to the club!

Eva,
Yep, I am taking meds, they are warfarin, lopressor, prednisone and Darvocet for pain. I also take crestor for cholesterol and zegerid for acid reflux. I am getting the heart monitor tomorrow. Thank you for your prayers!

It can also be one of these medications' dosage needs to be changed! Keep us posted hoping it is nothing.

Irregular beat

Irregular beat

I'm about 9 months out from AVR & ARoot surgery. All feels great (relatively) yet everytime i take a deep breath i can feel the heart pushing up against the sternum. Bothers me, as it is simply wierd. YET, over the last two months, I too have had what i call "heart stop" episodes wherein the heart literally stops for a beat or two then "jump starts" with a series of quick beats.
Not fun to feel that while you're trying to fall asleep - especially when you get a pair in succession - I.E. "Please start it again Lord and I'll never say another swear word!!"

Finally saw the Dr. last week (or course the 1 week I don't have these episodes) - He says it comes with the territory and that any "solution is likely more harmful than the problem".

He upped my Metroprolol and we're going with a new echo and Holter monitor for a few days ... My gut tells me nothing will come in way of an answer.

Anyone out there that has had the strunum punding &/or the racing heart post opp? Anyone who is further along than I? (9mo) ... Would be nice to know that "this goes away after some time" ...

PS - Is this what it feels liek to have a cavern in your chest with a heart bumbling around inside? I swear i can actually feel my heart falling toward the chest cavity side I'm sleeping on ...

PSS - I just joined today-first post ... sorry for the lack of brevity!

I'm about 9 months out from AVR & ARoot surgery. All feels great (relatively) yet everytime i take a deep breath i can feel the heart pushing up against the sternum. Bothers me, as it is simply wierd. YET, over the last two months, I too have had what i call "heart stop" episodes wherein the heart literally stops for a beat or two then "jump starts" with a series of quick beats.
Not fun to feel that while you're trying to fall asleep - especially when you get a pair in succession - I.E. "Please start it again Lord and I'll never say another swear word!!"

Finally saw the Dr. last week (or course the 1 week I don't have these episodes) - He says it comes with the territory and that any "solution is likely more harmful than the problem".

He upped my Metroprolol and we're going with a new echo and Holter monitor for a few days ... My gut tells me nothing will come in way of an answer.

Anyone out there that has had the strunum punding &/or the racing heart post opp? Anyone who is further along than I? (9mo) ... Would be nice to know that "this goes away after some time" ...

PS - Is this what it feels liek to have a cavern in your chest with a heart bumbling around inside? I swear i can actually feel my heart falling toward the chest cavity side I'm sleeping on ...

Welcome, I don't know if this is the same thing, but you might want to check this post about the sternum pounding http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29590

I sure pray they find out what is causing this for you. My cardio said the same thing, he does not like prescribing meds for this because it could cause other problems. I now have a heart monitor on so hopefully the cardio will see what is going on. I saw my surgeon today and he did not seem overly concerned about this, he said it was pretty normal at this stage.

I will be a year post op in about a week and started experiencing pac's and svt's at about 4 months post op. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to stop them and in my case, they seem to be increasing (I just finished a Holter monitor that showed I have them 1 out of every 4 beats). In fact, my Dr. has told me that the chances of mine going away ever is very slim. If you are having pac's/pvc's, they are considered benign, although that doesn't mean that they aren't annoying as hell. The meds that they can use to control them can cause other rhythm issues that can in fact be harmful, hence their hesitation to start prescribing them.

There are things you can try to help if you haven't already such as no alcohol, chocolate or caffeine. Magnesium may help. I find that if I lay on my left side in bed, they become much worse, so I try to avoid that.

Good luck with these and hopefully, yours will resolve themselves.

Kim

Same thing happened with me

Same thing happened with me

I do believe our hearts "calm down" after surgery and sometimes it takes weeks. So don't worry, I'll bet it's normal. I'm coming up on three years out and I feel GREAT!:D

Back