Irregular Beats After Dental Cleaning

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura R

Hi.
I had double valve replacements a little over a year ago, and have been feeling better and better.
When I had my first post-surgery dental cleaning 6 months ago, as usual I took my antibiotics, and at first the only thing that was different from usual was that my gums bled all day from the warfarin. But I also was feeling low energy, and ended up having irregular beats for a number of days. My cardiologist suggested I take it easy and, after 10 days, my heartbeat went back to normal.
Now it's a year after surgery and when I went for my routine cleaning on 10/7the same thing happened. I'm trying to stay calm and slow, hoping that I'll go back to a regular heartbeat. My temperature is normal, as it was last time so I don't think it's anything serious, but I don't know why I get irregular beats after a routine dental cleaning and would like to prevent it from happening in the future.
Anybody have this experience, or have any thoughts on it?
Thanks!
Laura

Did they put any medications on your gums when they were cleaning to numb them? Maybe it is a reaction to something in the antibiotic or even the coating used in the antibiotic. Maybe it is anxiety about going to the dentist or the dental tech. Some of them can have gorilla hands with those sharp instruments and cause unnecessary bleeding, that would make me upset.

Could also be something in the rinses they give you to clean out your mouth.

I had something very similar happen to me after dental work and cleanings, I am starting to think it is a reaction to the amoxicillin. I even had some chest tightness and chest pain that lasted about 2-3 hours on and off. Just felt sick all around, it lasted for a day or so. I am going to talk to my cardio about taking another pre med. Dental cleanings do not usually involve medication unless you request fluoride treatments or some type of rinse, either one could possibly cause a reaction, but it sounds like it could be the pre med. I have not had a cleaning for about 8 months so I am due. I am going to request a different pre med for before my next cleaning.

Tc

Flowergal

Thanks!
Maybe I'll ask about another pre-med. Will you let me know how it goes next time, Flowergirl?
I was also thinking that maybe it's the hygienist, Cooker, because she was new the first time after my surgery, and I just figured it was my problem, but maybe it's because of how rough she is on my gums. I'm also wondering if there's some other way of removing plaque that doesn't involve all that grinding away and gum bleeding. I thought I heard something about a pain-free laser or something. Does anybody know about that?

I still can't get individual notifications of posts because of my email address not being accepted by this site, so sorry for answering you both in one response.
Laura

I've had a few rough ones, but most of them are excellent, at least at my dentist's office. But there are surely ones out there who aren't too careful with the sharp tools.

I'm not sure how much the Cavitron can remove, but the gal did use that on some stubborn staining in the back of my tooth, and it didn't hurt. Maybe that isn't for heavy plaque, though.

STRESS is one of the factors that can cause Atrial Fibrilation (along with exercise, CAFFEINE in Coffee, Tea, Cokes, and Chocolate) and others that I have forgotten.

Epinephrine (often used in local anesthetics used by Dentists) can cause an elevated HR.

Do you FLOSS daily? That will usually prevent, or at least minimize, gum bleeding.

Ever since my AVR, I've felt that the hygenists don't do as 'thorough' a job as before, especially when it comes to getting close to the gum line. I'm guessing that they 'fear bleeding' just as many others in the medical profession. OR, maybe they are concerned about the risk of bacteria getting into the bloodstream and causing Bacterial Endocarditis...

'AL C'

I found Cavitron discussed at dentistry. com and it looks like another possibility. Thanks!
Laura

Since my AVR I am a bit nervous going to the dentist, so I take a very low dose (less than .5 mg) of Ativan before going. And I make sure that I go during mid-day when my BP meds are still having a good effect. The hygienist knows to not be rough with me.

Al has, as usual, touched on a possibly important point. Some dental anaesthetics, notably novocaine, contain epinephrine. This can often lead to elevated heart rate during its effect, followed by tiredness after it wears off. I had this happen, so I ask my dentist to use the version of novocaine that has no epinephrine content. This type doesn't last as long, but I don't have the side effects from it.

Thanks, Steve! And here's a bit of good news. My heartbeat went back to normal over the last day. I'm going to call the dentist and my cardiologist to ask about all these points, and I thought of another: my INR was much higher than usual today. It's usually about 2.5 and today it was 4.3, so I wonder if that's a factor.
I really appreciate all your helpful advice!
Laura

Back