Inr testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsidster

I have a couple of questions regarding testing.How long on average does it take to get INR levels in line?I will be getting a new valve and double bypass in November I think and we are looking at traveling to Florida.On average do you think I would have levels in line within 10 weeks?

Also--I am a Canadian and wonder how you go about testing in Florida if you do not own a machine (tester).?

Just wondering why you won't have surgery here in Canada? Are you working in Florida?

From my personal experience, it took me almost 6 months to get and to stay in my INR range. But everyone is different.

One thing to realize is that while your recovering and start doing more your INR readings will change, so it's really hard to say that in 10 weeks you'll be stable.

FREDDIE---I am having surgery in London Ontario-----then in 10 weeks we plan to go to Florida for the winter.Being a Candian was wondering how you go about testing in the USA.Would I have to go to a testing facility in Florida and pay up front,then file a claim when I returned .

Mr. Big, the simplest is to get the home monitor and supplies here in Canada BEFORE you travel.
Here are the steps that I took:
Call Roche in Montreal and ask them to send u the pamphlet.
Show it to your doc...smile sweetly and explain that you belong to an INR group of experts. ;)
Ask very nicely for a prescription.
Roche will send the monitor and supplies to the pharmacy that they deal with that is closest to you that will train you and become your one stop shopping for INR Coaguchek products.
Keep all receipts for insurance or tax claims.

Sidster:

I've read before that you were interested in getting the ON-X valve for AVR. If so, check out the ON-X site below. If you do get surgery with an ON-X valve and are willing to participate in the Proact study, it's possible that you may qualify for a free home INR monitor with testing supplies. I've also received literature from a surgeon's office describing the Proact study and it says that all home testing devices and supplies are "billable to insurance" They also list some hospitals in Florida and one in Vancouver that are involved in the study.

http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/valve/

10 weeks seems a little early for either a flight or a really long drive.

I was back at work at 6 weeks the 1st time at 29 and 8 weeks this time at 40. Even then, I was wiped out after work and could not drive long for at least another 6 - 8 weeks.

Latest posts

Back