INR 6.8 and Nosebleeds

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina

Inr 6.8

My INR was 6.8 yesterday and I got a major nosebleed again which lasted for 9 hours this time. I am also sick with the flu or a cold whichever it is and am going to the doctor this morning for a throat swab. Just want to make sure it isn't streph.
The past year I have had several severe nosebleeds and when my INR goes over 3.5 - 4.5 the nosebleeds can start when I just bend over and at times it is difficult to make em stop. Usually they happen at night but I haven't gone to urgent care or ER because I know they will put gauze in my nose for several days or cautherize and that doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.
Anyone else suffering with nosebleeds when the INR isn't even that high?

PS. Went to the doctor this morning and the streph test was negative. They are sending me to an ENT because of chronic Laryngitis.

Hi Christina,

Glad to know that you went to the doctor & proved negative for streph.

I have nose bleeds on & off & sometimes I attribute that to the dryness in the air, some of my medications, etc. (I see that you live in AZ & I know that the air there is just like ours --- DRY! )

I had a major nosebleed over a month ago --- my nose bled all night long; couldn't get it to stop no matter what I did. That time, I blamed the new med, 'ravatio' for it.

Many, many years ago, I went into the ER for a terrible nose bleed & I had the vein inside one of my nostrils cautherized. I swore I would never go to the ER for that again! :eek:

How did your doctor tell you to address the 6.8 INR, may I ask?? And when do you get re-tested??

Hope you get to feeling better; let us know!

Hi Christina,
Sorry to hear your not feeling well.
I've had those nose bleeds last year, but my INR was 11.5:eek: They told me if I could get it to stop they would cautherize it. Boy, I did'nt want that so in about 4 hours it did stop thank goodness. I've went to an ENT and really learned a lot about how the weather affects our sinus. Hope they an help you because its no fun feeling like crap.
Keep us informed on how you are doing. OK!
You take care.

Hi Christina,

Glad to know that you went to the doctor & proved negative for streph.

I have nose bleeds on & off & sometimes I attribute that to the dryness in the air, some of my medications, etc. (I see that you live in AZ & I know that the air there is just like ours --- DRY! )

I had a major nosebleed over a month ago --- my nose bled all night long; couldn't get it to stop no matter what I did. That time, I blamed the new med, 'ravatio' for it.

Many, many years ago, I went into the ER for a terrible nose bleed & I had the vein inside one of my nostrils cautherized. I swore I would never go to the ER for that again! :eek:

How did your doctor tell you to address the 6.8 INR, may I ask?? And when do you get re-tested??

Hope you get to feeling better; let us know!

Hi Norma and thanks for replying to my post. I do my own testing and dosaging and have done so for the past 8 years. I am skipping today and will test again tomorrow. I've done that before and that seems to work for me. A few weeks ago my INR was 6.2 and I got nosebleeds. I skipped one day and the INR went down to half from what it was. I only call my doctor if I absolutely don't know what to do and that hasn't happened yet. Trust me when I tell you that my doctor doesn't know anything about Coumadin management. I went in to see him about another matter and he asked me what my INR had been the last time I tested, so I told him 6.2 and that I was going to hold one day and test again the next day. He told me to hold 3 days, but I politely told him that that wasn't going to work for me; that I would bottom out and be in danger of a stroke or clot and that I would pass on that. Been there, done that!!!
I just ate some chicken soup and that made the throat feel a bit better. Now if the headache would go away, I think it would make it even better.
I blame the rise in INR on Cayenne pepper. I have had this "crud" for several weeks and have made a lot of chickensoup and for seasoning/kick I add Cayenne pepper. I know that to increase the INR so I need to lay off the Cayenne pepper.:(:(

Hi Christina,
Sorry to hear your not feeling well.
I've had those nose bleeds last year, but my INR was 11.5:eek: They told me if I could get it to stop they would cautherize it. Boy, I did'nt want that so in about 4 hours it did stop thank goodness. I've went to an ENT and really learned a lot about how the weather affects our sinus. Hope they an help you because its no fun feeling like crap.
Keep us informed on how you are doing. OK!
You take care.

Hi Crystal, I've been dealing with this "crud" for some time now and the doctor said that the Laryngitis is "Chronic" and he wants me to see an ENT (I hate going to doctors) to rule out anything serious.
Over all the ears since my surgery in 8/2000 I've seldom had nosebleeds and they started in 2008 and at times I've been up all night because I just couldn't get it to stop bleeding. Last night the bleed lasted for 9 hours and I didn't get to bed until 2PM. But I am not going to have it cautherized because it doesn't sound like fun to me. I think I will have to deal with the bleeds, however, it is not fun when you can't get to bed.
I also think that the dry temperatures in AZ have a lot to do with it.
Will keep you posted.:)

The INR of 6.8 concerns me alot.....how did that happen?
New meds or herbals maybe ?
Hi Bina.. thanks for replying to my thread. INR goes up and down especially when you are on a high dosage like me. But at times I am also stable and don't need to test every week. I do my own testing and dosaging and have been doing that successfully for 8 years. The 6.8 INR I believe was caused by Cayenne pepper that I added to my home made chicken soup. Nothing else was different.
I am skipping today and will test again tomorrow. I've done it before and I know it works.
Will keep you posted!:)

Hi Crystal, I've been dealing with this "crud" for some time now and the doctor said that the Laryngitis is "Chronic" and he wants me to see an ENT (I hate going to doctors) to rule out anything serious.
Over all the ears since my surgery in 8/2000 I've seldom had nosebleeds and they started in 2008 and at times I've been up all night because I just couldn't get it to stop bleeding. Last night the bleed lasted for 9 hours and I didn't get to bed until 2PM. But I am not going to have it cautherized because it doesn't sound like fun to me. I think I will have to deal with the bleeds, however, it is not fun when you can't get to bed.
I also think that the dry temperatures in AZ have a lot to do with it.
Will keep you posted.:)

Have you tried a humidifier in your bedroom? Justin used to get nosebleeds in the winter from the dry heat and the humidifier seemed to help

Hi Christina,

Since I moved to CA, I started having nose bleeds and I and my GP attribute that to the dry weather. My INR does not make it worse. My GP recommended to keep my nose moist with vaseline...I do not like vaseline... I use a humidifier and it helps a lot during the dry season.

My PCP recommends using a Saline Nose Spray to moisturize the nose.

He is also in favor of using a Nasal Rise once a day.
(I like the Neil-med prepackaged rinse...and it's cheap). It really helps during alergy season(s).

'AL Capshaw'

11.5 INR, that's the highest I've ever heard!

In the last 17.5 years I've been a 6.6, no problems, also a 6.2 and 6.3.

Last month I got up to 5.4, the next day I bit the end of my tongue, big time. :eek: It bleed for several hours, even with me holding tea bags on my tongue. Thought it had stopped, next morning my pillow was soaked with blood.

Christina, hope you're feeling better real soon.

Hi Christina,

Since I moved to CA, I started having nose bleeds and I and my GP attribute that to the dry weather. My INR does not make it worse. My GP recommended to keep my nose moist with vaseline...I do not like vaseline... I use a humidifier and it helps a lot during the dry season.

Hi Eva,

Thanks for caring and responding to my post. I have a humidifier and used it last night and intend to use it more often to see if that helps my nosebleeds. This morning I think I am feeling somewhat better. Can't bring out any sound. But I don't have to work today and can rest all day. I will be okay.:)

Hi Christina,

Hope you get things back in line soon. Feel better

Hi there my long time friend,

Thanks for caring Gina and responding to my thread. I will be okay and this will have to run it's course. The body will heal itself and I will have to give it time. I will have to make an appointment with an ENT as soon as I am able to bring out sound because the Laryngitis gets old. I've been dealing with that off and on for years now but since I don't like to run to doctors for every cotton pickin little thing I haven't done anything about it. But this time I am planning to look into it further.

Hugs,

11.5 INR, that's the highest I've ever heard!

In the last 17.5 years I've been a 6.6, no problems, also a 6.2 and 6.3.

Last month I got up to 5.4, the next day I bit the end of my tongue, big time. :eek: It bleed for several hours, even with me holding tea bags on my tongue. Thought it had stopped, next morning my pillow was soaked with blood.

Christina, hope you're feeling better real soon.

Dayton,

After we came home from a cruise one yearmy INR was 8.2 but I never had any nosebleeds. It's been as high as 9.3 without any problems. Now when it hits the 3.5 I am in trouble.
I am feeling somewhat better this morning. No sound yet, but I am going to stay home and rest.
Thanks for caring!:)

My PCP recommends using a Saline Nose Spray to moisturize the nose.

He is also in favor of using a Nasal Rinse once a day.
(I like the Neil-med prepackaged rinse...and it's cheap). It really helps during allergy season(s).

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks Al for responding to my thread. I have the Saline Nasal Spray but seldom use it because it is just like water and runs out of the nose as soon as I get it in there. But I will start using it again because those nosebleeds get old, really old when you are tired and want to go to bed.
Like I said to the others, I think I am feeling somewhat better this morning. I used a humidifier last night.

Last edited:
Try the nasal douches too. There's netti pots but I use this one and find it easier. http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...unt=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku2598244&id=prod2598807

YES, YES, YES, the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit is a GREAT HELP for stuffy sinuses (sp?) due to any cause.

The kit contains a plastic squeeze bottle with a rounded tip and 50 packets of a pre-mixed salt mixture that is NON-irritating. Regular (once or twice a day) use will Prevent unnecessary trips to the Doctor.

My PCP and ENT both recommend it highly for good reason.

I don't understand why Dr. Oz and Oprah keep telling people to get a Netti pot and mix their own solution when the NeilMed Kit is so much easier to use and very inexpensive.

'AL Capshaw'

Back