incision in upper chest for bypass machine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barb

Doctors mentioned a second incision in the groin for bypass machine. I was surprised to wake up with a 3-4 inch long horizontal incision just below my collar bone on the right side of my chest instead of in the groin. This incision is by far more painful than the 10 inch long sternum one.

I'm wondering if they commonly use this site. I'm just wondering if others here have had it done the same way.

I did participate in a study as to how they returned the blood to the brain (antegrade vs retrograde???? I know the basics of what it all means and was assured that the doc could throw out the study if he saw reason to chose one way over another). Was my second incision where it is possibly because of the study? I will remember to ask at my next visit.

Thanks.

barb

I had quad bypass and only the center chest incision, 2 scars for drainage, 2 tiny scars for hookup emergency, 4 scars on right leg from ankle up into groin for removal of saphenous vein to creat the bypasses. no other scars present from that surgery.

My surgeon told me I would have this scar. I can't remember why - that's how I came across this topic. Anyone else??? I'll post pics after. I have an email in to my surgeons office but he's on vacation for another week or so.

My AVR was done with a mini-thoracotmy incision, a 3 inch incision between 2 ribs on the right side of my chest about 3 inches down from my collar bone, and connection to bypass was done in the left groin. I had hardly any pain from the AVR incision.

Hi... I had an AVR done at USC-minimally invasive 4-19-11 and ...where he OPERated was on my right side just at bottom-bra(?) line-barely noticeable-but, like you do, I have a 3-4 inch incision right under the rib just south of the collarbone. I guesss they used that for the bypass machine, but when I was awake and in the hospital post-surgery I had 3 kinda monster tubes in there. I also had a (?) something stuck in near my right jugular/aorta on my neck (small scar). I forget where they pulled the pigtail out of (heart) but I sure do remember they had HAD a nerve block thing in my back which was taken out (or fell out?) the day before the pigtail was pulled out- and I DEFINITELY felt THAT! Makes me think where I picked up my Soprano range (I sing). Not kidding, before I went in I sang first Alto and now first or second
Soprano is easier. I really screamed/shrieked when they pulled that out!!! I did not notice any painkilling.
They made a cut in my groin the day earlier to do a Heart Cath, but I don't think they used that cut again...

Latest posts

Back