i'm back!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuoricino

www.thoughtsfromabroad.com
well, i spent two dazed days being coddled in the ICU (i should have gone down to "semi-intensive" after the first day post surgery but there weren't any available beds). and they say that things are going just dandy. i'm in kind of a lot pain where my scar is, and my heart beat is quite high. but they said that's all normal and i shouldn't worry.

today (fourth day post surgery) i got moved to a regular room... actually the same bed i had when i "moved in" on tuesday. i washed myself all by myself today, and was on my feet for almost two hours entertaining guests.

only small "crisis" was last night when i woke up around 2am and i couldn't for the life of me remember where i was, how long i'd been there, if my family had come to visit me or not. the nurse had to come in and assure me that my family and friends and boyfriend came to visit me every day and that i was admitted on the 22nd of september and that i was going very well. she said it was normal to feel disoriented because of all the drugs. so i've been going quite light lately so i'm not so out of it.

worst part by far: when they took out the drainage tubes!!!!! so painful! and since i guess they weren't placed well, i needed stitches for both of the holes. ouch.

the breathing tube went out pretty soon, but they definitely wanted to make sure i was awake before taking it out. the b*tch of a tube was the one that went down through my nose, all the way down to my stomach. but came in quite handy whenever i felt nauseaus, because with a little bit of suction they emptied my stomach just like that with no messy cleanup and no icky vomit feeling. so afterall, the things i was worried about didn't bother me at all, but i'm finding new unpleasant things to not look forward to for surgery number two.

in the end the valve was unsalvageable (it was completely white from the calcification and the surgeon gave it to my parents as a present) and i have a #23 (i think) bovine pericardium aortic valve!!! plus a bit of dacron in place of my ascending aorta.

okay, that's all for now. it's almost time for dinner. (i have to remember to eat eat eat!!! i think everything tastes different, and i'm not hungry at all.... again... could be the drugs.) just thought i'd check in. i'm officially allowed to post here now!!! yay for post-op!!!!

ciao a tutti!!

Welcome back! It sounds like your doing great. My time is coming up, and i hope to be as well off as you are in a short time. Im sure everyone will be glad to hear that your here, and on your way to a smooth recovery. God bless. Danny

Meraviglioso! This is a silly question, but I really want to know what hospital food in Italy is like!! Over here it is just the pits! However, knowing how the Italians love their pasta and food in general, I was just wondering.

That must have been really disconcerting waking up and not remembering anything!

Great update! I congratulated you over in your pre-surgery thread and then headed over here. It sounds like you are doing really great for just 4 days post-surgery. Just take it slowly. Entertaining guests for two hours sounds like a little much. Sometimes people mean well but they just don't understand that you need to rest. Sorry about the disorientation but glad that it passed. That is fairly common from what I have heard.

Looking forward to your updates. Hope you continue to have a smooth recovery. I'm curious too about the food in the hospital!

Nadine

Good to see you posting and well on your way to recovery. Disorientation is not unusual, they give you so many meds . . .

As to food, I have been i hospital in France, and from what I remember, it is typical hospital food. I don't think anyone can run a kitchen to feed that many people, then trek the food all over the place, and have it good when you take the lid off at your bedside. What I do remember (and I am affected by pain/sleep medications in a big way) is the nice little previously-frozen square of fish on my tray "growing" a head and a tail, and "swimming" around my tray in its juice. Also, the woan in the next bed commenting that she couldn't believe it when I woke up out of a deep sleep, ate the apricots, and fell instantly back asleep. I said not me, no way, I didn't eat apricots, I hate them, but she insisted . . . must have been my mother's voice in my head telling me that fruit is good for you, eat it and you will get better!:D

You're feeling on top of the world and that's great. Try to pace yourself and don't feel that you have to entertain if you are tired. I refused visitors mainly because I was a total wreck and the fear of germs, but when my good friend sent her Pastor over to see me, I gladly accepted his visit.
Eat, sleep, and walk. :)

So glad to know that you are over the surgery & from the sounds of it, getting better & better.

I hope your recovery continues smoothly & don't try to entertain too many ppl for too long. You need your rest.....very important....helps your healing.
And whatever you do, don't even think about ever having to have another OHS.....one is enough!

Stay well!:)

So glad you came through well it sounds like. May you feel better and better every day. As others have suggested - don't overdo! But I know they want you to get moving so keep going - just a little more each day.

Ciao,

Rhena

Greetings!

Greetings!

I am glad to hear things went well with you on Tuesday. Each year now, the Autumnal Equinox will have a little more meaning for both of us. The nurse is now preparing the paperwork for me to leave this afternoon. I knew my valve was too bad to save before surgery but that is in the past. My new valve sounds very similar to your own. I have a 23mm Carpentie-Edwards Pericardial valve which seems to be doing a wonderful job. Take care of yourself and let us know how things are going with you.

You sound great for being just 4 days out of surgery.
It seems to be our nature to see how hard we can push ourselves and as quickly as possible. Try to pace yourself, be sure to get plenty of sleep, eat right, and exercise.

It seems as though I was told or read somewhere that the amount of time you spend on the heart lung machine can attribute to disorientation or short term memory loss. I had a similar experience but not as extensive. for the first few weeks, maybe a month, I had issues remembering family member and friends names. It did not last. I'm sure the drugs had an effect early on.

I'm curious on the food myself, "what's for dinner?"

Rob

Well done on getting over the mountain - you sound very positive. Good luck for your recovery.
Yes, I wonder what you're having for dinner too!!

Good to have you back and welcome to your new lease on life. Now don't forget to keep that lease paid up or...........

Sounds good

Sounds good

Great to hear you are doing so good. Don't worry about the memory thing, I had it bad. When I got home I told my wife that I had not been bathed for the entire 9 days. She laughed because she was the one bathing me daily.

You are doing great, it only gets better from where you are. Welcome back.

Congratulations on getting through this.

The disorientation is common. I found it in particular when I was asleep and dreaming and then awakened. Hard to tell the dreams from reality.

Keep getting better!

You're doing great and we're so happy to hear it.
Your only job now is to rest, walk, eat and do your breathing exercises.
Congratulations on your trip over the mountain.
Hope your recovery goes smoothly with no bumps.

Latest posts

Back