I really did a job on myself

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cris N

Happy to be here.
Supporting Member
I'm typing this one-handed... woke up last wed to over a foot of snow so decided to take bus to work. Fell gently two times... then fell not so gently a third time. Managed to get my cell phone out to call my dh to come rescue me. He reached me and called 911. long story short - broke wrist bones and humerus- upper elbow bone. When I fell my elbow bent the wrong way-i heard and felt it snap. so, after 3 days in the hospital, 5 hrs surgery
- (delayed while they brought inr down with 6 units FFP), 4 plates and 25 screws later i'm home. huge splint cast thing, massive pain pills.

Sounds like your trying to compete with my son. I swear there is more hardware in his ankle holding it together then there is in the Sears Tower. Looks like scaffolding too.

Try to laugh a bit. I know it's not funny, but you know, snow can kill.

Oh Chirs, you know what they say....(who ever "they" are) the third time is a charm. Sounds like you done good.

Seriously though......ouch! X 10
Hope the pain doesn't last too long and you heal up quickly.

Take Care

See, that's what you get for trying to be safe and take the bus...:rolleyes:

Some days it doesn't work out no matter what you do. Last year, my mother fell in a parking lot and broke both her wrists, one of which has a lot of metal in it now. She's all healed now, although it was a rough time for her. Hopefully, you will recover quickly as well.

Best wishes,

See, that's what you get for trying to be safe and take the bus...:rolleyes:

Some days it doesn't work out no matter what you do. Last year, my mother fell in a parking lot and broke both her wrists, one of which has a lot of metal in it now. She's all healed now, although it was a rough time for her. Hopefully, you will recover quickly as well.

Best wishes,
what's even more frustrating... i work for state univ. and classes were canceled but workday for faculty and staff. at 8:30 the gov. shut everything down for everyone, if only i could have seen into the future.

i am planning a big excursion today - going to the mall to get my hair washed:)

So sorry for you

So sorry for you

I lived in Buffalo, New York for thirty years. I fell so many times that Albert threatened to staple a pillow to my bum. He also made noises about a football helmet. I remember the hurt.

I am so sorry for your fall. It is really scarey when that happens, especially when you have other medical concerns.

Let's hope this will be the last fall for you this season.

Kind regards,

Blanche

Yes, this sounds awfully painful. Hoping you heal quickly and completely.

Ooooo, I feel for you girl! I broke my elbow about 12 years ago while on vacation & I was in so much pain. :eek: And then the re-hab afterwards was no picnic either!

Hope you get to feeling better & your pain is managed well. You will probably be battling with your INR but that's all part of the scenario.

Take care!

Ooooh, I feel for you - I broke just my wrist (well, actually it was the ulna, so technically the ortho doc said it was a broken ARM). Did it on the Sunday, he saw me on the Tuesday, operated on the Friday (time to get INR down). Had a cast on for almost 7 weeks, then 6 weeks opf physio, but everything is working fine now - and I stopped biting my nails, too!

The pain is bad at first, try and keep it as elevated as possible. Even trhough the cast, heat and cold alternating can also help with the swelling.

what's even more frustrating... i work for state univ. and classes were canceled but workday for faculty and staff. at 8:30 the gov. shut everything down for everyone, if only i could have seen into the future.

i am planning a big excursion today - going to the mall to get my hair washed:)

OUCH I am sorry to hear this. you DID do a number. Justin broke both bones in his forearm skateboarding a few years ago and had surgery where they put rods in then another surgery a couple months later to take the rods out. When he first broke it and had the surgery he said that hurt more than any of his OHS. So I can only imagine breaking the top arm too.
I can imagine you will feel better after you get your hair washed. I don't know how they have your arm positioned but I orderred something inflatable online he could put over his cast to get showers. He used to laugh and call it an Elephant condom.

I know it is a little late now, but Have you seen those little spike things you can fit over your boots/shoes so you don't slip on the ice? They might be good to get so you don't fall with your arm in a cast. I got some for my Dad a couple years ago and all his friends asked about them, they work great.

OUCH I am sorry to hear this. you DID do a number. Justin broke both bones in his forearm skateboarding a few years ago and had surgery where they put rods in then another surgery a couple months later to take the rods out. When he first broke it and had the surgery he said that hurt more than any of his OHS. So I can only imagine breaking the top arm too.
I can imagine you will feel better after you get your hair washed. I don't know how they have your arm positioned but I orderred something inflatable online he could put over his cast to get showers. He used to laugh and call it an Elephant condom.

I know it is a little late now, but Have you seen those little spike things you can fit over your boots/shoes so you don't slip on the ice? They might be good to get so you don't fall with your arm in a cast. I got some for my Dad a couple years ago and all his friends asked about them, they work great.
about those spike things- i've seen them and even thought about buying some. funny thing is that i probably would not have used them - never imagined there was ice under the snow.

so, if i google elephant condom' will this thing show up?:D

about those spike things- i've seen them and even thought about buying some. funny thing is that i probably would not have used them - never imagined there was ice under the snow.

so, if i google elephant condom' will this thing show up?:D

You can try, ok now I have to google it and see what comes up. (warning do NOT lol)
This isn't the exact one Justin had , but it is close http://www.medcareproducts.com/castcovers/prodinfo.asp?number=DCA
it lasted a very long time, he broke his arm in the the beginning of June and finally got his last cast off right before school started in Sept. He even wore it in the Ocean a couple times, not swimming but at least able to get in it.

I always laugh at my husband, he has had a pair of the spike things in his glove compartment for years, but never wore them. I don't think they will help that way.
My Dad slipped on the ice cleaning off the car years ago (I was in high school) and had pins in his legs, so HE wears the spike thing, called yaxtrax or something close to that.

You can try, ok now I have to google it and see what comes up. (warning do NOT lol)
This isn't the exact one Justin had , but it is close http://www.medcareproducts.com/castcovers/prodinfo.asp?number=DCA
it lasted a very long time, he broke his arm in the the beginning of June and finally got his last cast off right before school started in Sept. He even wore it in the Ocean a couple times, not swimming but at least able to get in it.

I always laugh at my husband, he has had a pair of the spike things in his glove compartment for years, but never wore them. I don't think they will help that way.
My Dad slipped on the ice cleaning off the car years ago (I was in high school) and had pins in his legs, so HE wears the spike thing, called yaxtrax or something close to that.

thanks for the link - i will be sure to check it out.

Latest posts

Back