I just entered the waiting room

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragnar

This is my first post. I've read this site for the past month as a guest & just now joined. I just wanted to introduce myself. I found out recently that I'll need a AA repair & AVR. Big shock! My surgery is scheduled for December 3 rd at the Cleveland Clinic.

They say because I am young (46), I'll do fine. But I am still pretty darn scared.

Many of my questions have been answered on this site & I have an ever growing list of questions to ask my surgeon when I see him next.

Thanks for everything. I look forward to sharing more latter.

Welcome Ragnar: You already know that this site is fabulous. You will get many questions answered by members who have gone thru everything that you have and will be going thru. Check the video link in my signature. This is the exact procedure I went thru. The only difference is the patient in the videos got a tissue valve and I choose the ON-X mechanical. The Cleveland Clinic is the best in the country you will do just fine. Being scared is normal. Plenty of support here.
I contribute my ease of recovery to getting in the best physical, mental and spiritual shape that I could before surgery, I saw a therapist which really helped me. My church was also very important as I met some members there whose son had his surgery performed by Dr. Bavaria as well.I also joined the YMCA and lost 10 lbs. before surgery.I initially was thinking tissue valve. But after reading of the many stories on VR.ORG I am very happy that I choose the ON-X Valve. I am doing fine with coumadin and my other heart medications. I had the surgery 3 weeks before my 58th birthday:thumbup:

Hi Ragnar! This is my first time posting as well! I am almost 43 and have a severe BAV but am not symptomatic. I have an appointment with my cardiologist at the Clinic in October and am planning on scheduling surgery for January. I am tired of waiting and am at the point I just want to get it over with. However, based on the industry in which I work, January makes the most sense!! I would love to hear about your experience since you will just be a month ahead of me. I am with you and am extremely scared , but have found this site so helpful. I am so thankful for the Cleveland Clinic and know that you and I will be in good hands!!!

Good luck! I go in for AVR in one week. Ready to get it over with and start my new life.

Hi Ragner

I was 45 when mine was discovered - yes quite a shock to say the least! Had my OHS 2 weeks before my 46th birthday and two years later I'm doing really well. Like others have mentioned here, the waiting is the hardest part by far - recovery does take time - patience is your best friend (IMO) after your surgery - you'll be fine!

Rachel

I am also new to this site, have been reading for the last few weeks, and I love how supportive everyone is. I had my AVR in 11/06, and just recently found out that I need an ascending aortic aneurysm repair. I am scheduled for surgery on 09/12 at UCLA. I was so disappointed to find out I was going to have to go through this again, but I try to remind myself that I did quite well the first time, and I can do it again. I ran a 5K 4 months after my first OHS, and won my age group. Hang in there to all who are scheduled and waiting like me, it will be good to be on the other side again.

I am 11 1/2 weeks post op and wonder did I really have surgery. The waiting is truly the hardest part. We all know how scared you are but your Drs. and the surgical team do this all the time. Prepare yourself the best you can and when the day comes you will do great then you can just focus on getting better. The time does go by really quickly. I was in the waiting room for almost 10 years. I can do everything so much faster and better now. Wish I had it done sooner. We will be here for you.

Latest posts

Back