I am Back From Boston Appointment......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrybaby666

I just wanted to let you all know that I had my appointment with Dr. Marcilla Calfon on Friday at Mass General Hospital, and she confirmed definitely that I DO have Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (My heart muscle is stiffening) and as a result I DO have Congestive Heart Failure. She said that there is nothing they can do for the CHF except to monitor me periodically with a Echo and possibly a stress test to try and prevent me from having a heart attack as this would cause the CHF to progress even quicker.

I don't know how to say this other than to come right out and say it....they told me that I am dying from this, and because of my diabetes and other health issues, an eventual transplant would be out of the question.

Dr. Calfon would like to see me go through Bariatric Surgery to lose this weight that I have on now, but I did tell her I would consider Lap Band but NOT the full, cut me up inside surgery as my insides are already messed up for one thing and for another, I have a friend that now regrets having the full surgery as she just about died from that alone.

Dr. Calfon made absolutely no mention of the condition of my valves except to say that in my legs and ankles and such, I have "Venous Insufficency" which means the valves in my veins have weakened and are leaking, hence all the fluid retention. She is going to prescribe compression stockings for that.

I will know more after another echo and stress test in Boston the day after Thanksgiving.....Am I scared? Yes.....Am I going to stop living? Not on your life....I will keep going as long as I can keep going, and continuing with school and getting my degree is so very important to me. I am going to keep on enjoying the beautiful days, my beautiful nieces and family and friends and life in general....I will say however, that I am going to live my life the way that I want to and not so much more the way that the society in my area tries to dictate how I live my life. I am more than certain that when my body says its time to rest, that I will follow through. :eek::D:D:eek:

Harry-

Never give up. Joe lived a long time with Cardiomyopathy and CHF along with all his other problems. You will have to be very strict with yourself and stay on a narrow path with sodium restriction, medications, compression stockings and any other things your doctor want you to do. Joe did listen to his doctors (well, the ones who made sense anyway) and did what they said and that is why he was able to live a long time.

At least you have agreement that your heart has some impairment. I wish you good luck with your upcoming echo and stress. They may address the condition of your valves and any other heart issues.

Glad to see your update,sorry for the news...chin up one day at
a time and i echo Nanc says( never give up.)
Prayers continue and good results with the echo coming up Harry

Practicing Nancy's Motto....

Practicing Nancy's Motto....

Harry-

Never give up. Joe lived a long time with Cardiomyopathy and CHF along with all his other problems. You will have to be very strict with yourself and stay on a narrow path with sodium restriction, medications, compression stockings and any other things your doctor want you to do. Joe did listen to his doctors (well, the ones who made sense anyway) and did what they said and that is why he was able to live a long time.

At least you have agreement that your heart has some impairment. I wish you good luck with your upcoming echo and stress. They may address the condition of your valves and any other heart issues.

Oh, I am not planning on giving up Nancy, it's just that I felt that maybe the doctors have given up on me...meaning that they don't want to do his or her best to try and keep me alive....this is what's really bothering me...The way I figure it is this.....even though I have a hard time walking, I do it as much as I possibly can, which is mostly at school going from class to class. I use no salt, and I am considering the gastric banding (I will have to wait on this until the current semester is over though before I can have it done). My blood pressure is good right now 120/60 is what they read on Friday, and I am making sure I get enough sleep every night. I am NOT giving up on this battle even though it is frightening.

Harry you know you are always in my prayers. I'm sorry the news wasn't what anyone would want to hear. But I can imagine how good it must be to finally having a doctor that really took the time to get to the bottom of your problems instead of just acting like you were fine.

In spite of the disheartening side of your evaluation at MGH, the Good News is that you have confirmation and validation of your condition, something you never received from the Doctors you saw in NH.

The 'other' Good News is that the First Step in solving, or at least treating, a problem, is the definition of the problem.

I hope that you will find renewed strength and joy with proper treatment for your conditions.

Best Wishes Harry !

'AL Capshaw'

Harry, I see this as good news - now that you know WHAT you are fighting, you will learn HOW to fight it. I had that experience many years ago; I had been feeling not myself (mentally) for many years, and when I was diagnosed with depression, I was actually releived - I had thought they might lock me up and throw away the key! I have since (about 15 years) been on meds, and have a normal life - a little silly at times, but generally normal!

Take care of yourself, get regular oil changes, and I am sure you will last for good long time yet

BTW, did you make it to the aquarium?

Dear Harry, Al has already said most of what I would. I like your attitude, and your thinking: being practical about procedures, walking as much as you can etc. Looks like the no sodium diet is working, and getting enough sleep is really important. Keep up the good work! Your valve bro, Brian

The news is hard to hear, of course, but it is good to know you now have a fine doctor who will provide appropriate treatment and hopefully guide you to the best quality of life you can have.

Hopefully, it is something of a relief for you to know you finally have someone looking out for you.

Harry,

It wasn't the news anyone would wish for you, but as others said, it's good you found a doctor who listened and could identify the source of your problems.

I'm so impressed by your resolve to get on with your life.

Best wishes,

Debby

I don't always have the right words to say, but I do know faith needs no words....keep on keepin' on...and dance anyway you want to!
You are in my prayers.....

Linda

Harry, my father lived with CHF for twenty five years. You must always remember when Doctors speak to you that they are relying upon statistical analysis. Statistics work for large groups of people but they do not describe well the experience of any individual. Taking steps to lose weight will significantly reduce the stress on your heart which certainly should help and walking will improve your cardiovascular performance. Your doctors may respond to you differently if they see you doing all you can to be as healthy as possible and there are other doctors if you feel that yours are not being supportive. Do your best and seize the day.

I have had CHF,mitral valve disease and dilated cardiomyopathy for years. I have been in a-fib for the last few years. I should have been dead long ago. Had it not been for my ICD I would be. I was hopeful after the valve replacement,things would improve. That has not been the case. I am seeing a new doc in a few weeks in Chapel Hill. He's a heart failure expert...maybe he can pull a rabbit out of his hat and have some new meds to help me.
I have come to terms with this all and live to live,,not live to die.
Not one of us came out with a guarantee stamped on our butts,,,I could die in a car accident,,who knows...
Make each day count and gather strength from loved ones and whatever higher power belief you have. You are stronger than you ever,ever realized.

peace out

I admire your attitude in the face of adversity. You the tenacity to stick around for a long time! You'll continue to be in my prayers.

Harry,

Thinking of you and sending my prayers. You have that New England tenacity, so I am confident you will hang tough, accomplish goals, experience joys, and be with us a good long time....

Harry, you have such a great attitude, all the power to you I know you will do well in accomplishing your goals.

Warm thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Latest posts

Back