Husband fulfilling a dream on coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryj

My husband left last Friday for a 7 day, 1700 mile Harley trip with 7 of his friends. They started out in Georgia where we live. They rode the whole Blue Ridge Parkway to the end. They have been in N.C., S.C., and Virginia and will return tomorrow or Friday. They are having a ball and guess what he is just taking his pills everyday including coumadin,eating what he wants and staying at KOA campsites. He will be 61 in November. I am so thankful he is able to do this. When he had his AVR nearly 9 years ago we were worried if we would ever be able to travel by car on long vacations and here he is riding a HArley 1700 miles.

That makes a great road trip! We did it in the spring of 08.... in our car. Couple weeks ago my son in law did one on his Harley from TX up through NM to a Harley meet at Ruidoso, NM.

Before AVR, we were traveling and living almost full time in our motorhome. Six months after AVR we went back on the road.

I'm sure he's loving it. Hope he stays safe.

He has been riding for a while but he paid 275.00 and took the 3 day riding safety class before he left. He said it was well worth the money and he picked up a lot of safe riding tips , especially about avoiding road rage.
He has called me tiwce a day and he said everyone he has met has been super nice and he has seen thousands of bikers. They even had a 2 hour ferry ride and he enjoyed that.

Did you all honestly think life should have stopped because of Coumadin? Please tell me that isn't so.

Ross. I am sure it was more me than him. He was born at home and had never been sick a day in his life(outside of common colds,etc). He had a physical at work and they said his blood pressure was very high and it looked from the xrays like he had a mild heart attack at some point. He went to the dr,then cardio,then surgeon. It was all very surreal and I was being my normal self and always imagining the worse. Now here we are and have had an extra nine wonderful years and are both looking forward to retirement. Me in 6 weeks and him in 11 months.

Freddie, he left me voice mail while I was at lunch today and his exact words coming from his 60 year old mouth were, We are having a Blast. He wants us to make the same trip by car and pull the bike so we can ride at some of the places we stay overnight. I can't do 1700 miles on a bike and sleep in a sleeping bag. I don't think. We are planning a bike trip in Octorber from Senoia,Ga. to Savannah,Ga. But we are staying in a nice hotel in Savannah.

Everything can be done better in the woods and in a sleeping bag. :wink2:

The voices made me say that.

Well he should be home tomorrow niight. I will let you know after that. It has been a long 7 days

If I weren't teathered to my oxygen leash, I'd be doing the same thing. Don't think it would be on a cycle, only because it's financial forbidden, but I'd darn sure be taking road trips.

That's great stuff terryj, a road trip to talk about for years to come I'm sure ! Now I've got a mental image in my head of that film with John Tavolta and his mates on Harleys called Wild Hogs ! I hope your husband has seen it, it's very funny ... Terrible, but funny !
Dont let that little pill stand in the way of living life to the full. If anything, let it serve as a reminder to do just that !

My husband left last Friday for a 7 day, 1700 mile Harley trip with 7 of his friends. They started out in Georgia where we live. They rode the whole Blue Ridge Parkway to the end. They have been in N.C., S.C., and Virginia and will return tomorrow or Friday. They are having a ball and guess what he is just taking his pills everyday including coumadin,eating what he wants and staying at KOA campsites. He will be 61 in November. I am so thankful he is able to do this. When he had his AVR nearly 9 years ago we were worried if we would ever be able to travel by car on long vacations and here he is riding a HArley 1700 miles.

I am sure he is having a blast !!
I have been lucky enough to have done several road trips on a Harley ( pillion ) and things really are different on a motorcycle ( NO ROSS NOT WHAT YOUR THINKING)
people are so much friendlier they want to know were your headed and what you have seen, it really is a different world.
We always stay in motels except for our two trips to Sturgis Rally were we camped.I have some amazing photo's and memories. back in 1993 we met a guy in PA and we have become firm friends, he meets up with us when we are on the road.
You should join him and ride down to Bike Octoberfest in Daytona, we will be there,Sadly the cost of shipping the Harley from the UK to the USA is so high now that we probably will not do it again on a motorcycle.
We have a 94 FLST Softail Heritage, what does you husband have?
He should submit his story to the HOG Magazine, I am sire they will be interested
I would love too see some pic's

Jan ( Liverpool England)

I have been lucky enough to have done several road trips on a Harley ( pillion ) and things really are different on a motorcycle ( NO ROSS NOT WHAT YOUR THINKING)

Hey now, I only think perverted things 99.8% of the time. :biggrin2:

Jan, he has a 2001 Road King and will probably buy a new or newer bike when we retire. He loves his Harley and had added tons of chrome since he bought it. The saying is HD stands for Hundreds of Dollars. His Harley rainsuit costs 150.00.

Ross. we never tried it on a Harley

Latest posts

Back