How slow is too slow?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy & Robyn

I am nearly six months postop and feel great. Back to lifting weights, running and bicycling.

When I first came home from surgery my resting heart rate was running around 90. Now it is around 50. My blood pressure hasn't changed much. It stays around 128/65.

My question is how low is too low for heart rate? I am now on 50mg atenolol daily which definitely is slowing it down. Should I request a change of medication that will still keep my blood pressure in check but won't lower my heart rate? How low can it go before I start to experience lightheadedness?

Randy

Actually, I'd think you would be light headed just standing up. I'd ask about dropping to 25mg Atenolol per day and reevalute things in 4 to 6 weeks. If it's still low and you have no bp or arrythmia problems, perhaps they can dump the Atenolol altogether.

I agree with Ross. If you're at 50 with 50mg of Atenolol, it's probably time to drop to 25mg dosages. I was originally on 75mg, but when my resting HR got down to about 55, I requested that my Atenolol be dropped. My Cardio agreed, and I'm now at 50mg. Immediately after the switch, my resting HR went from about 55 to 70. Since then, it has dropped down to about 60, so I'm going to inquire about dropping to 25mg at my next appointment.

I would like to note, however, that I had to ask to get my dosage reduced. The Cardio did not seem to be ready to drop the dosage until I pressed him.

My view is that everybody is different. If you're not having any difficulty with lightheadedness or other symptoms of insufficient blood to the brain, I'd say you're fine. You might want to ask your doctor about going back to 25 on the Atenolol, but there's no urgency.

Just don't choke on a pretzel.

Best wishes,

Without knowing what else is going on I would say you should contact your cardiologist. 50 is too low for many people but not everyone. Are you on any other medications that slow heart rate? It may be the Atenolol,it may not but you probably should have your dose adjusted.

Wow Randy, I would call your doc. Nathan's HR is usually in the sixties. After his 10 month post op echo, his cardio is talking about taking him off his Cozaar and Toprol in one year due to his hearts improvment (unless he stays on this awful route with the heavy lifting).

Randy I was just wonderring what your HR used to be before surgery ect? Justin normally hangs out in the 40s 50s (we went to tyhe ortho for a broken arm and they wanted to admit him because he HR was too low for the computer program they used)
I would call and ask, hey best case you end up w/ one less med to take, lyn

My resting heart rate before my surgeries was in the upper 50s while on the atenolol. And during hard running or cycling it still climbs into the 150s and would go higher if I didn't back off. I'm assuming it is just slowing because of my fitness level. I just hit a ten minute mile and I'm still improving.

I will definitely ask my doctor what he thinks. I've had a couple of instances lately where I jump out of bed really fast and have an instant of mild dizziness. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks all, for your help.

Randy

A resting HR of 50 is getting on the low side.

The REAL concern is how low does it go when you are sleeping. Your Cardio may want to check this out with a Holter monitor. Anything under 40 is a concern.

'AL Capshaw'

AS you know, a low resting heart rate is frequently an effect of exercise, and in your case that sounds like a significant contributor.

Atenolol is a beta blocker and they do suppress your heart rate. I bike a lot and my beta blocker (Coreg) took 10-15% off my max rate and about the same off my normal cruising rate.

Like you, my heart rate also hangs in the 50s and sometimes in the high 40s. It is down quite a bit since I went on the beta blocker. I was just on an ace inhibitor for a couple of years and then I had a beta blocker added so I have a pretty good picture of the impact of the beta blocker. I do think it makes me a lot more tired.

Discuss it with your cardio, but the lowered rate has to have a positive impact on your heart function so long as other effects (like dizziness) aren't a problem.

Latest posts

Back