How old were you when you had your AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably already realize that there can be so many variables, Valerie, even unknown, including other health concerns, age and gender. So what might work for one person might not work for another.

May I suggest, if you haven't done so already, that you read a thread at the top of the Valve Selection forum, written by a member here, Tobagotwo, which offers a lot of helpful information to consider about many pros and cons of your choices?

Also, you can present your concerns and preferences to the surgeon(s) with whom you consult and ask [them] for their expert opinion(s). I did that and was glad that I did.

Best wishes to you :) .

Thank you so much...yes I have done that already about a week ago, when I was first faced with this. I was just trying to find people who had the Ross Procedure or tissue valve and was around my age range. That is the valve that I am doing the Ross, but if there is a problem Im going with the tissue.

I was 8 years old and got a Bjork Shiley the first time (aortic).
12 years old the second time and got a St. Jude (aortic).
38/39 years - old next one in the next year or two (if its necessary) will be another St. Jude (mitral).

I was 61. I went with the tissue valve becaues of having leukemia and some other health problems the cardio thought this would be the best way to go, now I wonder becaues just a couple of moths ago after my last echo he told me that my body was rejecting this pig's valve. I've only had it since 2005. He said he didn't think I would make it to the end of the year without having to have it replaced. Bummer. :( I sure don't look forward to this surgery again so soon. I thought it would at least give me 15-20 years. This time they plan to put a bigger size valve in which I don't understand why they didn't do that the first time. I don't have any symptoms like I did the first time. I asked my cardio what to look for and he said "I'll just quit breathing." Well I guess that's a good symptom!:)

Hi Valerie & welcome to the forum.

I was 24 years old when I had my double-valve OHS; I'm 58 years old now & still ticking! :)

I had both aortic & mitral valves replaced with mechanical valves similar to the ones used on Dick0236 which are obsolete now. There's a picture of it floating around someone in my posts.

I have had 3 OHS but for reasons that are not typical & I've had a lot of other issues such as rheumatic fever, endocarditus, pannus growth, etc. Most people will seldom have to contend with all this stuff so no need for you to fret about this!

Wishing you the best of luck.

I was 42 when I had my AVR (chose a mechanical) and am now 53. Had my first OHS (aortic valve repair) at 19.

Cheers,
Michelle

42 and had a 5 second choice between mechanical/tissue and possibly repair after an aortic dissection. Ended up with repair + aortic graft (+ later stent & pacemaker).

Now 44 and so far doing well (with a few complications, which seems to be normal under emergency conditions).

::g

I was 34, had a 2 yr old daughter and husband. Got a porcine, lasted 11 yrs.
Then, at 46, got mechanical. Then, at 54, got another mech. and MV repair.

52 - received a Medtronic Mosaic porcine tissue valve that was imperfect from the start, being "inherently stenotic" and having a 1 mm hole in one leaflet.

57 - received a St. Jude Biocor bovine and porcine tissue valve.

best wishes,

Latest posts

Back