How old were you when you had your AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 53. I have a tissue valve. The reason I chose tissue is because I have another illness too and they thought the tissue would be better for me.

I was 45 when I had my first AVR with a tissue valve.

I'm 52 now and will be Nov. 4th when I have my 2nd AVR with a mechanical valve and graft.

Valerie, I didn't have an aortic valve replacement, but rather a tricuspid. I was 45 and received a tissue valve. I have to say that it wasn't a choice, as tissue valves are generally recommended for the right side of the heart.

Kim

47 with a St Jude mechanical. Wanted to reduce the probability of repeat surgeries. That was almost nine years ago and so far, so good.

Mark

You probably already realize that there can be so many variables, Valerie, even unknown, including other health concerns, age and gender. So what might work for one person might not work for another.

May I suggest, if you haven't done so already, that you read a thread at the top of the Valve Selection forum, written by a member here, Tobagotwo, which offers a lot of helpful information to consider about many pros and cons of your choices?

Also, you can present your concerns and preferences to the surgeon(s) with whom you consult and ask [them] for their expert opinion(s). I did that and was glad that I did.

Best wishes to you :) .

Hi Valerie:)
I was about your age.....31. My valve is an old mechanical "ball-in-cage" valve that is no longer available. My valve has seldom interfered with my life. Good luck for a speedy recovery.:D

i had my mitral valve replaced this last may at 34 years old. I went with the mechanical valve which is really the best option for us younger folks so there is a better chance of not having a re-op to replace it again. since i was young and still able to have kids the cardiologist wanted to make sure that i had no plans of having another child before deciding on a mechanical because of having to be on coumadin the rest of my life.

Latest posts

Back