How much exercise can i do ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rr3972

About a year and a half ago, I developed Viridans Streptococcus which caused endocarditis which resulted in aortic heart valve replacement surgery. My aortic valve has been replaced with a Carpentier-Edwards Perimount Magna Model 3000 tissue (cow) valve. I’m 50 years old. Prior to the surgery, I was an avid bicycle rider. When riding my bicycle on rides of up to 100 miles, my heart rate would steadily reach 150 bpm and spike to as high as 190 bp (downhill 90). Now even with Beta Bockers I can get my heart rate up almost to pre surgery level. After the surgery, my doctor told me that my heart was in great shape and the new heart valve should last about 10 years. What he couldn’t tell me is the effect of hard exercise on the replacement valve.

I would like to return to my exercise regime but need to know whether hard exercise and the resulting increased heart rate will cause the valve to wear out faster or cause it to tear.

Welcome! Not to worry.....exercize away my friend! We have Ironmen...yup, the whole triathalon, with Edwards valves. I've done a few marathons, and the Goofy challenge (half on Saturday and full on Sunday) with my Edwards valve. There is no evidence exercize will effect the valve negatively. Basically, our valves fail as our body calcifies them, just like our original valve. I would get back to biking as soon as you feel comfortable. BTW, that Beta Blocker will keep your HR low...that is it's job. So don't be surprised if your HR does not elevate, but your are dead tired from biking. It is something you could look into getting rid of, as there are better BP meds for people who want to work out. Also, I hope you get more than 10 years from your valve...I'm hoping more like 20!

RR, I can only tell you what my surgeon and cardiologist told me. I was 59 at the time of my valve replacement. Before the symptoms appeared, I road the Hotter'n Hell Hundred each year in Wichita Falls. After the AVR, my cardio didn't want me to ride much for six months just to insure my sternum could take a fall. This year, the summer temperatures were above 110°F almost every day so I did not ride the HHH but I am looking forward to it next year. As for how high you want to push your pulse rate, you really should ask your doctor. At present, I try to keep mine below 150. My surgeon said that normally, our valve - I have the same one as you - should stand up to hard use. The problem that is most common with time is that they, too, can become stenotic. Since no one knows what causes valves to become calcified, there is no way for us to know what to do or not do to protect them. My cardio tells me that the best thing is to be as healthy as I can.

Larry

Maybe I'm not a good example because I'm 20 years out, but at age 61 I did 420 pushups in one session. That enough for ya? Oh yeah, I run 25-30 road races a year too.

I agree with the others. Enjoy life!

I do not believe we have answered you real question, but to worry about the valve all the time would take the fun out of a good bike ride.

My HR is usually very similar to your numbers. When I feel it spiking to the 190s (sans HR monitor) I slow down on the hills. I am no longer on a Beta Blocker.

For what it's worth, I have a similar heart rate experience to you and Scott--and handle it the same way on the bike or in the gym. When the numbers get too high, I slow down a bit. Otherwise, I'm doing the best I can. All the best with your riding.

What I think you need to do is get a mind set something like "If I don't exercise my valve is going to get calcified, so if I exercise more it will last longer", or something to that effect. Like the others have said, no one is certain what causes them to calcify. So perhaps if you exercise a lot the calcium won't have a chance to stick to the valve leaflets. At any rate its a lot better than sitting around not exercising because you think it will make the valve fail faster.

All,

This is all very encouraging actually. Up until last December I was taking a kick boxing class, doing Spin and Zumba. I'm a bike rider too. I'm really looking forward to getting back to doing these activities. My cardiologist suggested I lasted as long as I did with my unicuspid valve because of all the exercise I have done over the years. I'm hoping that if I take care of myself by eating well, managing stress and exercising that my new heart valve will last a long time!

BTW, I'm using a fun and useful app on my iPhone to keep track of my progress with walking. It's called Runkeeper. Here's the link to their website: http://runkeeper.com/

Laura

Thanks to all that replied ! It really helps. Is calcification the only thing that causes the tissue valve to fail ? I had no calcification in my original valve so should I have a better chance of the tissue valve not getting any ? Maybe all by biking kept it off. I like dtread thinking,""If I don't exercise my valve is going to get calcified, so if I exercise more it will last longer"

If you don't exercise your muscles are going to atrophy. Depending on how old you are and how little you exercise will have a bearing on how quickly you make it to the nursing home and eventually cemetery. So, your choice. Sorry to the couch potatoes if you don't like that advice. The heart is a muscle also, so if you don't get some cardiovascular exercise that elevates the heart rate you're not going to be working the heart. So it will get soft and flabby. Diet is very important also. You don't put rocks in the gas tank of your car, why put garbage in your mouth? And keep the weight down. Being overweight is hard on the heart. A lot of it is common sense.

Latest posts

Back