How much coumadin do you take?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXGal

I am on 10mg of coumadin every day except two days a week I take 7.5mg. My husband seems to think this is a high dosage, so I was just curious what amount of coumadin/warfarin others take. :confused:

I take 40 mg a week. 5 mg M,T,Th,Fr,Sun; 7.5 mg Wed & Sat. My range is 2.0 - 3.0. I test at home, last three INRs were 2.5. My INR has been stable for quite a while now.

I think that mitral valve patients have a range of 2.5 - 3.5.

I can understand your curiosity, but everyone is so different. Size, shape, activity level, diet and how well your metabolism is can play a big part on your dosage.
I'm 5'5", 124lbs and take 6mg everyday. Another person may be 198lbs and also take 6mg everyday.
I'm sorry if I sound like a scrooge, but please tell hubby that if you are within your range the dosage doesn't matter, "relax".
Everyone is different.

After my bovine mitral replacement, my surgeon ordered three months of coumadin. I was taking 88 mg weekly and was getting another raise in dosage when my surgeon told me to stop at 2 1/2 months. It appeared I would have settled around 100+ mg per week if I had to continue. My range was 2.0 - 3.0. Despite that high dosage, I never once tested in range.

My husband seems to think this is a high dosage, . :confused:

Coumadin takes what it takes. You are young, active and chasing a baby around. 65 mg/wk is not that great an amount for a young, active person. For a long time, when I was in my 30s and 40s, I took about 70mg. Now that I'm getting old :( and less active, I'm down to 35mg/wk.

I have never found Coumadin/warfarin to have any side effects that are connected to the dosage amount. Take what you need to stay in your INR range.

I take 5mg 6 times week and 2.5mg one day a week. My dosages have changed over the four years but I have been on this dosage for the past several months. I also think it has been the highest dosage for me.

Karl

I currently take 5mg X 3 + 5.5 X 4 for 37mg a week to get an INR of about 3.0, sometimes 3.6. I have taken as much as 6.5 X 7, usually in the summer when I bicycle some.

Other than alendronate (generic Fosamax) and vitamin B-12, warfarin is the only Rx I take -- no other Rxes entering the picture that would increase/decrease my INR and thus cause a resulting decrease/increase in my dosage. :D:D:D:D

It really doesn't matter what dose/wk you take. What really matters is what dose/wk keeps you in the INR range your doctor wants. Whether that is 20mg/wk or 200mg/wk. Keeping you in range IS the correct dose for YOU

7.5mg per day.

At one stage last year I was taking 10mg per day.

Bridgette

my son takes 7.5 mg/day for an INR of 1.8 to 2.5. Everyone is different and metabolizes different. Encourage hubby to read up on this site and others, everyone metabolizes differently.

thanks for the responses... my husband works in a pharmacy and he just noticed over the years that the people that usually take coumadin have prescriptions for a lower dosage than me.. but I figured maybe it had to do with my age. I'm not concerned or anything, I was just curious what others took.. My INR is usually on the lower end even taking mostly 10mg a week, usually a 2.5...

I'm new to the boards and I guess I find it comforting to find a group of people, well, like me! thanks again..

Dang!

Dang!

I'm one of the "low dosers" and taking 19 mg per week.....3-2-3-3-3-2-3......INR is 3.1 and I am not very active.
Of course, some of us Canadians hibernate in winter. :)

Dang, Bina, that is low! You even take less than Katie. She takes 3.5-3.5-4-3.5-3.5-3.5-4............and she's only 8, but she is very active as several on here know!:D So, no, TX, doesn't seem too way out of line to me!

With ACT whatever it takes to keep you in range is the correct dose for you. There is no "standard" or set number. Some people can take as little as 2mg a day others 20+ a day, but for each of them, it's the correct dose for them to keep them in range.

For me, currently 7.5mg 4 days a week, 5mg 3 days a week for a total of 45mg weekly. I sometimes have to tweak up to 52.5 a week depending on my CHF acting up or not.

Hi im Taking 11mg of Warfarin daily, I thought this was a lot but my doctor says that all the woman of my age which is 45 and younger he has found that they need a high dose than men of that age. Hope this helps.

Hi Kristen, I take 10 mg everyday.. like others have said, I don't think it matters as long as it is keeping you in range. I am pretty active, too, with two little ones, exercise, and I have a pretty high metabolism.

I must be like Bina - I only take 2.5mg per day everyday to keep in range which is 2.5 to 3.5. I am also in my late forties (ok 49) but am really not the most active person in the world, escpecially during the winter. During the summer we are drag racing so I am a little busier, but last summer I did not ever have to take more than 3 mg once a week.

diana

I am a rapid metabolizer of Coumadin and Vitamin K.

I am a rapid metabolizer of Coumadin and Vitamin K.

I have been on a very high dosage since my surgery in 8/2000, as high as 26-28 mg per day. Since I've purchased a Chi machine (and that is the only thing that I did different) last year May my dosage has gone down to 15/16 mg per day(alternate days) to stay stable. But like what AZPam said it really doesn't matter how much Coumadin you take per day, the MOST important is that you stay stable and that you or your doctor/nurse don't put yourself in the danger zone of throwing a clot or stroking out.

Back