How much coumadin do you take?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take 7 mg six days and 9 mg one day.

Not that I'm a doctor, but wouldn't it make more sense and be more cost effective to take 7.5 mg everyday? I'm assuming you're taking lots of 1 mgs? The 7.5 mg is a single tablet! It would be 52.5 mg per week instead of 51! Or 7.5 mg 6 days and 6 mg 1 day which would be exactly what you get in a week now, but only 1 prescription for 7.5 mg each month and a 6 mg prescription every 6-7 months.

I take 7.5 mg Sunday through Friday and half of a 7.5 (3.75) on Saturday.

Interesting question - and the same one I had - since I've been on coumadin about a month. I am 62, and pretty active until recently (awaiting mitral repair) - and female - and this week had to take 12.5mg one night - usually 10 mg - so I figure either I have a very efficient liver that metabolizes well, or perhaps the different generics of coumadin (ie really warfarin) might be slightly different. In any case, agree with everyone that it only matters that your own INR be therapeutic (not such an easy task, I am finding out).
Terry

10/day for me too. I wish i could say it's because I have a high metabolism, but I seriously doubt it. I think my liver just works very efficiently. :D

At age 35 my mitral and aortic valves were replaced and I left the hospital taking 2.5 mgs per day. Now at age 58 I take 2.5 mgs per day. Does not seem that my lifestyle alters my need level.
Kathleen

My range is 3.0 to 4.0 and I take 5.5 mgs every day. I used to take 6mg one day and 6mg the next then just asked the doctor to prescribe some .5mg so that I take the same every day. For me cost doesn't enter the equation as our drugs are free it doesn't matter how many sizes he prescribes, at the moment he prescribes 1mg, 3mg, 5mg and .5mg - I just tell the pharmacist not to dispense the two sizes that I don't want.

Hi Kristen,

My dosage is very similar to yours - I take 8 mg except Mondays and Fridays I take 10. I've been quite lucky and haven't been out of range in over a year and a half, even when traveling.

Cheers,
Michelle

I take 25mg/week alternating between 5mg & 2.5mg. Not much variation over the past 28 years.

I am on the same dosage as you for about 2 years now. But I've been on coumadin for 34 years & I have had many dosage changes over the years.

When I was younger, I used to have to alternate between 12mg & 11mg. It seems that the older I got and the slower my body got, my dosages starting dropping too, along with everything else! LOL! . :rolleyes:

It takes what it takes. I take 5 mgs everyday except Tuesday & thursday than I take 7.5mgs for a total of 40 mgs a week.

Latest posts

Back