How many of you would like to help science?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

I'm wondering if we shouldn't start a Valvereplacement.com team with Folding@home. During the times that your computer is up and running, it could be folding proteins in hopes of helping science better understand diseases and create cures. Other forums I belong to are doing it and just wondered if perhaps anyone here would be interested.

More information can be found here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

I have an extra one but not on line. Also, does it have to run constantly?

No it does not, but in your circumstance, losing internet connectivity would slow you down. It need only run when your on, but if someone has a computer that they leave on all the time, that's even better.

I should also say that you DO NOT need to be part of a team to do this. You can do this all on your own if you'd like. I just thought it would be cool if we could start a VR team.

[H]ard OCP is the top team. That place is loaded with kids that do nothing but build and overclock computers. I don't think any team would ever be able to compete with them, but really, this isn't about competition. It's about helping scientists understand diseases.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't start a Valvereplacement.com team with Folding@home. During the times that your computer is up and running, it could be folding proteins in hopes of helping science better understand diseases and create cures. Other forums I belong to are doing it and just wondered if perhaps anyone here would be interested.

More information can be found here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

You know I'm computer impaired, but if you say it's safe I'm for it. BTW My computer is on 24/7 for the most part, so you'd get alot of folding from me what ever that is

As far as the work units Lyn, sometimes the fold only takes a couple minutes and sometimes it takes a few hours, it just depends on the work unit you get. None the less, it's completed work units turned in that matter, whether it takes one person days or minutes, makes no difference. Also, work units completed are transmitted automatically and a new work unit is given to you, so there is no need to fuss with the program, it's all automatic. You do have to have a live internet connection for transmitting and receiving work units though.

Lets see if enough interest is generated. No one is obligated in any way. It's just an idea to run past you all.

As far as the work units Lyn, sometimes the fold only takes a couple minutes and sometimes it takes a few hours, it just depends on the work unit you get. None the less, it's completed work units turned in that matter, whether it takes one person days or minutes, makes no difference. Also, work units completed are transmitted automatically and a new work unit is given to you, so there is no need to fuss with the program, it's all automatic. You do have to have a live internet connection for transmitting and receiving work units though.

Lets see if enough interest is generated. No one is obligated in any way. It's just an idea to run past you all.

IF we have 3 or 4 computers running most of the time can we use all of them? also does it matter if they are pcs or macs? we have both

ok...this is a question on behalf of my computer-addicted son (apparently he owns our internet and no-one is allowed to do anything that causes him to lag)
~ will this make us lag?

ok...this is a question on behalf of my computer-addicted son (apparently he owns our internet and no-one is allowed to do anything that causes him to lag)
~ will this make us lag?

Not really, it is set up to the lowest level of processor usage (Priority) basically using only unused clock cycles. Now if you were to install the Graphical user interface version to watch the work unit being folded, it will slow you down somewhat, but the system tray version does not.

In short, FAH will stop if your running other CPU intensive things, then resume when there is extra clock cycles available.

Guess I'll have to post a poll to see if we start a team or not. Doesn't seem to be much interest right now.

Latest posts

Back