How Many Canadians Here

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsidster

I started this thread to see how many Canadians come lurking here.My name is CORY and I live in a little town called TECUMSEH Ontario.I had my surgery November22 /2010
to replace an aortic valve and a double corrannary bypass.So far it has worked.Are there any canadians self testing and if so what province are you from.I have the impression that Canada is far behind USA when it comes to self testing. I had my operation at LONDON HOSPITAL and when i asked about self testing they looked at me like i just came from another planet.

Member lance is from your area and home tests using the Coaguchek XS.

My own tester was obtained by calling Roche in Laval, Quebec and having them send me a brochure
which I showed to my GP (in ontario). He was on board right away especially since Roche had a pharmacist
not too far from me who would take care of my training and supplies.
It's now been 3 1/2 years of totally perfect testing for me, and I would never go back to lab tests
and ruining my veins.

................................ when i asked about self testing they looked at me like i just came from another planet.
they must have seen your avatar
smiley2356.gif
smiley1467.gif
oh and yes I am proudly Canadian
xmassnoball.gif
cold BUT Canadian
snow1ani.gif

Hey Cory

First off, I would drink a beer with you! Love your guy humor! Read your post in the post surgery section, very descriptive and gave me a good chuckle. Yea my surgery day is coming. I'm smuggling an extra large container of Metamuscil into my bag. I'm from out west, you may know that already.

I'm demanding a MHV, hence I will be doing the warfarin thing. I as well have been snooping around this site regarding home testing and will continue to follow along with this and other threads for guidance.

Hey

I just had a bentall procedure done at St Mikes in Toronto Nov 2 and have started to go to an INR clinic at the Hamilton General where they prick my finger to check my INR and get the results right there. They actually use the Coaguchek XS and have suggested that, when i get my INR levels in the range and I get used to the process that into approx 1 year, they have a program where they support the home testing and you actually email the results into them and they reply back with how to adjust. This was also one of my biggest concerns after surgery and I hope that they start to expand this program throughtout Ontario and Canada. My farther who takes Coumadin for AFIB and lives in Mississauga has looked around and so far it appears this is only happening in Hamilton through Hamilton Health Sciences. I would call them and inquire if it is available in your area or ask for a reference Good Luck.

Hi Cory,
Just wanted to chime in and say hello from a fellow Canuk. I am a 'tissue' valver so am not part of the 'coumadin' club yet. :)
By the way, I was told that if I needed coumadin, INR 'self testing' would be an option.

Last edited:
Hi Clydesdale,
Good to learn that place in Hamilton where I had my valve replacement done is using the XS.
I question the 1 year delay though. It doesn't make sense to make you wait a year.
Toronto General Hospital trained me years ago and I e-mail my test results to them when requested to do so.
My spouse takes warfarin for A-fib, uses my XS, learned by observation, was motivated and does just fine. In the two years he has been self testing and managing his dose with my input he's never been out of range.
I'm glad Hamilton has made a start--it takes the pressure away from Toronto General.

Hey Cory, I AM CANADIAN.
I am true Albertain, born in Sask. And grew up in the capital city Edmonton and have dis-like Calgary for as long as I can remember (sorry Bruce:)). Maybe if I lived in Calgary and played for the Flames I could jump the line and get surgery first!! Bruce buys the first round! Surgery in a week! EeeoooowwwwwWW <3

I'm Canadian, though a "designated import" from the US. I've exchanged e-mails with the head of ACT at TGH a couple of times. They do not do any Coaguchek testing there (venous draws only), but they work with patients to help them get set up for home testing. There are a few hospitals in TO that do finger-stick testing on-site, too.

There are also some pharmacists who have been trained by Roche to do finger-stick testing, but Ontario law apparently doesn't permit pharmacists to stick somebody's finger, so it's not happening. (Me, I'd be happy to stick my own finger in a drug store. . .)

I'm hoping to come off ACT in about 2 weeks, so I'm not working on home testing. . . yet, anyway!

Jeff

As I am not a Flame, the only way I'm getting to the front of the line is in the 911 limo. I'm 3 weeks behind you. Hence I will be expecting you to scare me with your recovery stories like any devious bad brother would. Note that the Maz hospital was subsidized by taxation from my city. Hmm you have 5 dedicated OR's for OHS and we have 2. Must be good to be from the capital.

I have found a GP Dr who supports home testing. He is familiar with the process. He received his medical degree in Egypt. Not sure if the middle east is big on home testing, but this GP is and thats what counts.

Jeff, both London drugs and of all things the Co-op sells the Coaguchek XS in our province. They will order the device and then train you. Cost is about $500.00. Make sure you have a prescription prior to ordering the device, so you can claim it on your health insc.

Back