How long were you in A-Fib

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike59

I went into a-fib 3 weeks after AVR

I have been told I may convert back into normal rytham

It has been 4 weeks now of AF

Please can members help by saying how long they were in AF before they converted and if possible which drugs were used to help control the condition

Look forward to your posts

Thanks
Mike

I went into flutter two weeks after my surgery, and 6 months later, I'm still in flutter. I have been on the waiting list for an ablation since late April. My flutter is asymptomatic, probably because I have a PM. I'm also on atenenolol.

I think that flutter tends to be a more persistent arrhythmia than a-fib, so just because I haven't converted back to sinus rythym, you may well do.

went into af about the 3rd week, was but on amiroderone in hospital the next day,that did the trick,hope you get yours sorted as af sucks

AFIB stinks. I had a lot of trouble immediately after surgery and ended up with a pacemaker. Even with the pacer, I had a couple of bouts of it about a month after surgery, but that's the last I've heard from it. Like Neil, I also took amiodarone for about 3 months post op, due to all the rhythm issues I had. Maybe that's why I never could dance. . .

I was in A-fib and A-flutter for about a month or two after surgery before they did a cardioversion. They wanted to wait that long in order for my heart to heal up a bit from the trauma of the surgery with the idea that the cardioversion at that time would work better.
John

I got offered a date today for my ablation, in two weeks time, but I can't take it because my husband is away. So frustrating! So still waiting...

I don't know if I have replied to you another time about this so sorry if I have but Digoxen was the first med tried and it was not successful for me but Sotalol was successful for me. The cardio also had magnesium IVs administered to me when I was rehospitalized to be started on the Sotalol. Sotalol kicked it nearly immediately and I only had to stay on it for several weeks. I think I had both A-fib and A-flutter. Rough stuff! Hope you find the right relief very soon!

Had A-Fib in the hospital a few days after surgery corrected by cardioversion. Then 3 weeks after surgery, cardioversion again. Then 2 months after surgery, corrected with rythmol and metoprolol.
I am almost 6 months post-op now and no more A-fib. I see the cardiologist next week and find out if I can go off the meds. I don't like the meds but they're better than A-fib

My a fib started about three weeks out. It was all over the board, with slow, wears, fluttering, etc. They put me on Amioderone for about three months and it went away. I had to force the issue to get off it, but once I stopped I was fine. I referred to the Amio as my "Cardiac Chemo".

There is a trial here at Vanderbilt where patients take 4mg of Lavaza (pharm fish oil) to relieve a fib symptoms. I didn't want to be in the control group taking veggie oil for no reason, so I simply asked my cardio to prescribe me the 4mg per day; he agreed and I have done this for about 18 months. I have had no problems other than those pesky PVCs.

Went into Afib/flutter at about week 2/3. "Resting" heart rate rarely went below 100. Was on Amioderone to no avail for 6 weeks. Was also put on Coumadin during that time. Cardioversion finally stopped the Afib after Amioderone didn't. I know everyone is different but Amioderone literally made me sick as a dog. Couple Afb with a bout of the flu followed by bronchitis (too much time catching bugs in Dr waiting rooms I guess) and I was miserable. Cardioversion gave me my life back. Been in NSR ever since.

I wish you the best in your recovery.

I went in to AF two weeks out and was cardioverted the next day. My doctor did not want to wait. I have not had a problem since then. Everyone is different. Good luck.

I went into a-fib when I got endocarditis, and it lasted about 10 days, no special drugs at that time. Then, after my 3rd surgery, I had irregular heart beats about a yr after surgery, they lasted over a year, then after some months of really regular heart beats, I went into a-fib/flutter out of the blue. I didn't like it and it was making me so fatigued. After 2 months in a-fib/flutter on Sotalol,( which might have put me back in rhythm, but it didn't) I got a cardioversion and now am not in a-fib/flutter anymore. I am still on Sotalol to keep me in rhythm. So far, so good.

hi mike,
my husband, joey, is the patient here. he had a ross procedure done in 2001 and went into a fib 4 days after surgery. they tried all the meds he had previously taken to prevent a fib, none worked. amiodarone was then used and it kept him in sinus rhythm. even after about 9 years on the amio (they were giving him very small doses), each time he tried to wean off, the a fib would recur.
he had an ablation done last jan (2011) by dr. mehta at mt. sinai hospital in nyc. so far so good. hoping he is one of the 83% successful ones the first time around.
maybe see an electrophysiologist? he/she can recommend other meds to get you back into sinus rhythm or cardiovert then meds.
hope this helps. please keep us posted.
be sell,
sylvia

I've been in flutter since mid December, so nearly 7 months. My ablation is on Friday, hopefully day case. Luckily my flutter has no symptoms.

I had some kind of a-fib issue the day after surgery. I was out long enough for the room to have MANY people in it when I woke up. It earned me a 3 day stay in the ICU. I don't think I'm in it now--the way people talk about it it sounds like I would know. I had 2 tachy episodes later--the day before I came home. (I was worried that I wouldn't be sprung.)

What are your symptoms with this problem? What does it feel like is happening?
I only have another weeks' worth of amiodarone left, then they expect I won't be on it.
Should I worry about traveling an hour away from the hospital next week to spend a few days with my family?
CatDog

Hi Mike,

I went into a-fib about 2 weeks after surgery, had a cardioversion the next day, I also got put on Amiodarone. Over the next two or three weeks I had 2 short bouts of a-fib that went away on their own. That was in January, I stayed on Amiodarone until the end of May. I haven't had any a-fib since.

Tom

Latest posts

Back