How long does a St. Jude valve last?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

theman

Most of the literature says it lasts 'a lifetime' or '20 - 30 years' - what if a lifetime is greater than 30 years? I haven't been able to find many posts about people having one mechanical valve swapped out for another. Any input would be appreciated.

TheMan

Most of the literature says it lasts 'a lifetime' or '20 - 30 years' - what if a lifetime is greater than 30 years? I haven't been able to find many posts about people having one mechanical valve swapped out for another. Any input would be appreciated.

TheMan

I've lived with two (2) mechanical valves since I was 24 years old. The first valve(s) I had implanted were the ball in cage type (cooley-cutter valves--- they are actually obsolete now & sit in a museum at St. Luke's hospital in Houston.) When those valves were implanted back in 1975, they were suppose to last a lifetime but I've come to the brutual realization that nothing last for ever. You just have to make the most of it while you're alive.

In 2006 I had to have the old aortic valve swapped out with a new St. Jude because it started stressing out on me & I started going into CHF (congestive heart failure). My old mitral valve was not swapped out however, & so now I have a 2-year old mechanical & a 33-yr old one! How's that for freaky?

And unfortunately, the old mitral valve is also malfunctioning but the doctors are trying to stave off the surgery indefinitely due to the massive amount of scar tissue present, or until it's either do or die for me! So in the mean time, I wait...........

My understanding is that most mechanical valves are designed to *operate* for longer than anyone would likely live.

Other factors may create a need for replacement.

Pannus Tissue Growth is one such issue, where tissue growth from around where valve was sewn in gets irritated or otherwise begins to create growth which may eventually get in the way of where the leaflets need to go to open fully. This can happen (and has been reported on VR.com) with both Tissue and Mechanical Valves. (Note that the On-X valves have a barrier to 'retard or hopefully prevent' Pannus Tissue Growth from blocking the leaflets).

One of our former members developed Brain Bleeds which led her and her doctors to decide that it was best to replace her mechanical valve with a tissue valve so she could discontinue Coumadin / Warfarin. There may have been an anticoagulation management issue there also if I remember correctly. Her case is one of the examples on AL Lodwick's website www.warfarinfo.com

I had my first surgery when I was 21 in 1977. Replaced the aortic valve with a mechanical. 31 good years. I'm meeting with a surgeon on Monday to schedule a surgery to replace it. I was told when I had the surgery it would last my life. My cardiologist told me 31 years is very good and did I really think it would last my whole life. The fact is the valve is doing fine, the scar tissue growing around it is not. So....it happens and I will be glad to get this second surgery behind me and hope this ne valve lasts another 31 years.

I know someone who has 2 St.Jude Master valves. Both were perfect after 19 yrs, but then one of them had some trouble with the sewing on the cuff and he had to be re-operated. Surgeon said that the valves were otherwise perfect.

Mine just passed 41 years (Aug. 16, 1967) and by all indications, is still operating normally. Back then, my docs told me it would last 50 years. I really thought they were "blowing smoke" and hoped I would get 20 years. Now the docs really don't know how long the valve MAYlast. From an engineering standpoint, mechanical valves can last at least a normal lifetime.

Thank you all for the replies - some extraordinary stories indeed! It sounds like the issues one may encounter are due to connective / scar tissue factors. If it is proved the Onyx valve can be used with Plavix instead of Coumadin, would a young person age 35 - 40ish that had AVR at 20 want to look at replacement if they were in good health?

mechanically speaking in a controlled environment, it will outlast you. In your body, maybe not. Most would probably agree it's still a better bet than tissue if you're looking for durability at this point.

The older valves that Norma has/had eventually erode because of the body's chemistry reacting with the metal and the force vectors of the fluid flowing around it. As I scanned the thread real quick I didn't see that issue brought up.

mechanically speaking in a controlled environment, it will outlast you. In your body, maybe not. Most would probably agree it's still a better bet than tissue if you're looking for durability at this point.

The older valves that Norma has/had eventually erode because of the body's chemistry reacting with the metal and the force vectors of the fluid flowing around it. As I scanned the thread real quick I didn't see that issue brought up.

And actually Aaron, remember I have my OLD valve in a jar :D (I know that freaks some of you out that's why I like to stick that in) ---- the valve is made out of some sort of titanium material which is what Dr. Cooley told both my husband & I & it wasn't the valve that eroded at all. When you look at the valve, it's completely intact nothing that would suggest decomposition of it at all.

To Theman...I looked at your profile and you don't indicate that you are the young person who had earlier AVR. If his/her current valve is functioning OK, I would not change it out just to get the newer valve. If and when the current valve fails is the time to consider the newest technology.

To Oaktree...I know I have one of the oldest valves still in operation. Dr. Starr told me, a year ago, that there are a "number of Starr-Edwards valves, of that age, still in use". RCB had his surgery several years before me and there are several others on this forum that had heart repair surgery in the 1950s and 1960s. My educated guess is that many of the mechanical valves implanted today will last a long, long, long time if history is any judge.

As others have said, I was told that the valve would last 300 years. However, because of scar tissue and/or the sewing ring, it would probably have to be replaced at 30 years. No matter what the advancements, I wouldn't have my valve replaced unless it was failing in some way. The question is always, "Do the benefits outweigh the risks?" In this case, I think the answer would be no. Besides, if this person waits another 10-20 years, advancements will be even better. I know I just passed my 10 year anniversary and I often think about the fact that if I had been able to wait 10 years, I could have had the minimally invasive approach. But alas, it was not to be!

Thank you all for the replies - some extraordinary stories indeed! It sounds like the issues one may encounter are due to connective / scar tissue factors. If it is proved the Onyx valve can be used with Plavix instead of Coumadin, would a young person age 35 - 40ish that had AVR at 20 want to look at replacement if they were in good health?

If there were a reason to replace the valve, then perhaps. You should never ever make a judgement on possible changes in the future. Make your decisions with today's technology. Coumadin should not be feared anyhow. So long as a person is compliant with testing, has a good Coumadin manager or self tests and self doses, problems are likely to never happen. Also, there are replacements for Coumadin on the horizon, so it shouldn't be too terribly long, but there again, don't count on it, that Dibigatran or Embrace will be approved.

I had my St. Jude Aortic valve implanted when I just turned 40. I celebrated it's 5-year birthday last Friday; August 29th. If I averaged 60 beats per minute (more when I'm hyped up/exercising and less when I'm resting/sleeping), that means the valve has opened/closed for than 157 million times already. :eek:

If I'm blessed enough to live to be 80 years old (or half my lifespan with the valve), it will have opened/closed over 1.2 billion times during that 40 year timespan.

...and that is why I lie awake some nights and stare at the ceiling. :rolleyes:

I had my St. Jude Aortic valve implanted when I just turned 40. I celebrated it's 5-year birthday last Friday; August 29th. If I averaged 60 beats per minute (more when I'm hyped up/exercising and less when I'm resting/sleeping), that means the valve has opened/closed for than 157 million times already. :eek:

If I'm blessed enough to live to be 80 years old (or half my lifespan with the valve), it will have opened/closed over 1.2 billion times during that 40 year timespan.

...and that is why I lie awake some nights and stare at the ceiling. :rolleyes
:

LOL ... LOL ... thanks for the belly laugh:D:D:D

...and that is why I lie awake some nights and stare at the ceiling. :rolleyes:

Rush...you will get over the sleepless nites. Been there, done that. Mine has already crossed the 1.2 billion threshold. As the old watch commercial said "it has taken a lickin' but it keeps on tickin'". :D

Rush...you will get over the sleepless nites. Been there, done that. Mine has already crossed the 1.2 billion threshold. As the old watch commercial said "it has taken a lickin' but it keeps on tickin'". :D

Yeah but was it straped to the runners of a sled that santa was riding on during rudolph the red nosed reindeer? How about Cameron Swaze tying it to an artic land rover track and going all over with it?

my 31 year old valve is a Lillehei-Kaster manufactured by Medical Incorporated. Single tilt aortic valve.

Back