How long does a St. Jude valve last?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my Mitral Valve implanted in 1993 so that makes it 30 years old. Still clicking away. It was a rough time for a 23 year old. I also wound up with Endocarditice which left me in hospital for 7 months until it cleared up. That IV Vancomycne was tough to handle. Like you all I am on Coumadin and have a Coaguecheck to check the INR.. But lately I havent felt the same... I had a TIA two years ago. They tried to put me on aspirin but that just played havoc with the INR and my Celiac for some reason. I would wind up in hospital. I also have a low immune system due to the Celiac. I am wondering does anyone else have GI issues who have a metallic valve? I just had an esophagial Echocardiogram I.E. through the mouth. Everything is going according to how it should be. But I am always anxious about the functionality of the valve. Having the surgery changed my life as well. Not for the better... But thats a different story... Thanks for listening. L

...but I am always anxious about the functionality of the valve.
no need to be, it'll last a lifetime ;-)

Do you know specifically which valve you have? Steel has not been used in quite a while as I understand it. But as its 30 you may just be in the running. However I suspect you have a bi-leaflet (not even a single tilting disc type)

From April 1, 1979 to August 31, 1983, 228 patients underwent isolated aortic (AVR) (118) or mitral (MVR) (90) valve replacements with a new tilting disc valve prosthesis, the St. Jude prosthesis, at the Medical University of South Carolina

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1353462/
Probably one of these
mech valves.jpg

Type A is the single tilting disc type

Last edited:
no need to be, it'll last a lifetime ;-)

Do you know specifically which valve you have? Steel has not been used in quite a while as I understand it. But as its 30 you may just be in the running. However I suspect you have a bi-leaflet (not even a single tilting disc type)

From April 1, 1979 to August 31, 1983, 228 patients underwent isolated aortic (AVR) (118) or mitral (MVR) (90) valve replacements with a new tilting disc valve prosthesis, the St. Jude prosthesis, at the Medical University of South Carolina

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1353462/
Probably one of these
View attachment 889722

Type A is the single tilting disc type
thats exactly what it looks like... thanks for this. I had forgotten until I saw the picture... I ring every time I enter an arena or airport security its funny. LOL.. I do have a special health card explaining what is going on if they ask for it. Most of the time they move me forward.

I believe that's similar to my implant from 1996. Just celebrated 27 years with my St. Jude's bileaflet mitral valve and my cardiologists believe it will outlast me. As others have mentioned, scar tissue and pannus tissue seem to be concerns but not the actual valve. I recall reading up on the pyrolytic carbon used in manufacturing and was both amazed and thankful for today's material science.

I believe that's similar to my implant from 1996. Just celebrated 27 years with my St. Jude's bileaflet mitral valve and my cardiologists believe it will outlast me. As others have mentioned, scar tissue and pannus tissue seem to be concerns but not the actual valve. I recall reading up on the pyrolytic carbon used in manufacturing and was both amazed and thankful for today's material science.
oh absolutely. Todays material is amazing to use and see in action.. Im thankful that this was around in 1993.. When people metal detect around graves they can find our valves. LOL... Just kidding.... Sorta... Todays valves are even better.

so, not a single tilting disc as that says "Mitral bi-leaflet mechanical heart valve prosthesis"
and further:

"it consists of two flat, semicircular, pyrolytic carbon-coated or polymer leaflets that pivot about pyrolytic carbon or metal struts attached to the valve housing by hinges; the hinge points intersect the valve lumen resulting in a total of three openings. When pressurized blood hits the valve, the two halves of the circle fold away from the valve ring and allow blood to flow into the three openings before the valve flaps close again."​

so I don't think its metal. I believe that its pyrolytic carbon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrolytic_carbon#Biomedical_applications
if you are still on some sort of INR roller coaster reach out and perhaps we can sort that out somewhat.

Back