How long before results?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cork

Cork

what Doctor scripts your coumadin for you?Your PCP or your Cardio? whoever is giving you the Rx for coumadin should help you with getting your Insurance to pay for a home-tester...they can help..telling your Insurance Company that your job requires you to be out of town a lot. Get them involved..Bet they could help convince your insurance Company that you need a home-tester. It would be cheaper for them to pay for a home-tester than pay for you ending up in hospital? for a bleed or stroke?(Not to scare you..just scare the Insurance people.:p )... Bonnie( P.S. see you on Sunday Night Chat)..always enjoy seeing you in there posting..

Cork said:
I attempted to get a self testing machine on two differant occasions and both times my insurance company stated that they do not pay for "objects of convenience". Trying to discuss INR and mechanical valves with them is similar to beating your head on a wall. I've considered paying for it out of my pocket but they are still rather expensive. If they keep coming down in price I will probably end up sucking it up. :cool:

Thanks
Cork

Are you Self Employed or are you doing your business traveling for the benefit of an employer?

If the latter, tell your employer of your dilemma and press THEM to provide a Self Test Instrument so that you can test wherever THEY send you without interrupting your Work Schedule, not to mention having NECESSARY medical information in a TIMELY manner.

If you are Self Employed, perhaps you could find a way to at least get a Tax Deduction as a necessary Business Expense.

'AL Capshaw'

When I test at the Coumadin Clinic I have results and dosage adjustments before I leave. Typical time from blood draw to results and consult is 30 to 45 min.
Philip

Cork said:
I attempted to get a self testing machine on two differant occasions and both times my insurance company stated that they do not pay for "objects of convenience". Trying to discuss INR and mechanical valves with them is similar to beating your head on a wall. I've considered paying for it out of my pocket but they are still rather expensive. If they keep coming down in price I will probably end up sucking it up. :cool:

Thanks
Cork

Have you tried letting QAS handle the issue? They should also be able to tell you if your insurance company is one that absolutely won't pay for one. They did when my sister called them about getting one for my BIL (on Coumadin for a-fib).

You can also try asking your insurance provider if they pay for diabetic supplies such as glucose monitors. If they do, ask them why they aren't considered an object of convenience.

I haven't really seen a reduction in price of the machines since I've been using them (~4 years). But sometimes the companies will discout the price for those people whose insurance won't cover them.

WayneGM said:
When I was on Coumadin, I was told to go to the local clinic to give the sample before 11:00am. They then couriered their samples to a lab around noon. The Doctor's office would call me with the results and any change in dosage around 5:00pm.

Ditto for me. Sometimes I go to the clinic earlier for my schedule convenience, but I don't worry about the time lapse, long as my number ends up in range (for me that's between 2 and 3).

Patty

The minimum standard should be that your results are known by you before the next dose is due.

I have mine drawn at the doctor's office, they send it to LabCorp, and I get a phone call the next day. Then we trade calls for a while, sometimes another day, before they tell me the results. If it's dangerously high, they will call sooner - I know because my doctor once woke me up at 5:30 a.m. on a Saturday. Since I've had little variation for years, this process really doesn't concern me. I don't understand the thinking behind "the test isn't any good if you don't get the results immediately." Since I only get drawn once every 2 months, I would hope that the number isn't that variable in a 24 hour period of time. The adjustment is made assuming that you won't get another draw for 30 days (assuming you're not bouncing around), so waiting 24 hours shouldn't really make that much difference.

Lisa, you only test every two months? Wow! Your INR must be pretty stable. That's great!

I'm having to stretch many people out to two months because our clinic is getting so full. We have over 900 people coming now.

Yes, I have been stable for awhile. The nurse at the doctor's office tells me to come back in a month, but I don't. This is partly because it's a hassle, and partly because, as a teacher, I have to take a half-day off every time I go, and I hate to make sub plans! The doctor is fully aware of this and is okay with it. I've added 1 mg per week in the last 6 months, not because I was drastically low, but I was around 2.6 - 2.7 for a couple of months, and my doctor wants me closer to 3.0. From past experience and what I've read on this site, I believe that a lot of fluctuations are caused by too frequent testing and adjustments. I treat my INR like my investments. If you make an educated decision, and then leave it alone for awhile to give it a chance to do what it will, you will be more successful in the long run. If you keep moving your money around, (or making adjustments in the case of Warfarin), you will always be a step behind.

Latest posts

Back