How long before results?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cork

This question is for those of you who get your blood drawn at a lab to get your protime results. I was wondering if you use a hospital or go to a lab (i.e. Quest Diagnostics, Labcorp, etc.)? I am also curious how long it takes before you get your results.

I ask because sometimes it can take days before the labs get the results to the doctors office. Sometimes they even need to send the blood to a differant city.:confused:

Thanks,
Cork

Anything longer then a couple hours and the test is worthless. You need to know the INR number before you leave if it's at all possible. Next day at the very latest.

Not that its entirely relevant as i'm in a different country but here in Australia i get my blood drawn before 10am and the results are back before 5pm.

When I was on Coumadin, I was told to go to the local clinic to give the sample before 11:00am. They then couriered their samples to a lab around noon. The Doctor's office would call me with the results and any change in dosage around 5:00pm.

I took my brother once a month unless the dr ordered more often. The results were faxed to the cardio same day and changes, if any, were phoned to us same day, too.

My lab order was always STAT. I would call 3 hours after I was at the lab. My cardio would throw a royal fit if I didn't get my results the same day.

If you are waiting a day, or worse yet, days, the lab and the person managing your Coumadin doesn't know much about INR and dosing. Get someone who does.

Hi Karlynn
Unfortunately, there is not just one lab that handles my draws. I travel around the country for work and I could be in any city at any time. So I just find the lab in whatever city that I'm in. Sometimes I do end up getting it within a day. However, usually that is not the case.

As always, thanks for everyones replies.

Happy Holidays,
Cork

On the rare occasions I have to have a lab draw, I ask for a copy of the test. At the lab at my local hospital, they tell me it will mean an hour's wait, which usually takes 45 minutes. I sign a form, and they give me a print-out of the results. I look at the one significant number on the page, the INR, and dispose of the rest. I suppose they also send the information to my PCP, but I certainly wouldn't want him managing my dosages.

We do not have any choice here, we go to the warfarin clinic at the hospital in the morning and provided you are in range you will receive the results by post within two days. If you are out of range they telephone you the same day. The system works, no phone call and you just continue on your current dose.

I get my blood work done at a lab here in town and they fax the results to my primary care doctor who callls me before I take my coumadin My doctor's office is about fifteen minutes from here. I go get the blood work in the morning by 8:30 or so and I take the coumadin about 6pm. So far it seems to be working out OK. Marcie

I have been fighting over this with the Kaiser Lab and Anticoagulation Clinic for 8 months. When I first had surgery it was done STAT (in house) Then they started sending in out about 35 miles away to the regional lab. It can take one to two days before they receive results, or least get them to me. Now I understand they will all be sent out and they will not call unless it is way out of range. i did take a copy of The American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science, Table 4: Causes of Protime (INR) Variability to the Lab and Ainticoagulation Clinic Monday. I got calls from both saying that Kaiser always follows guidelings and I had nothing to worry about.:eek:

We self test, but on the occasion in November when Tyce had to have his test done when we were traveling. Walter Reed Riverside in Gloucester did his blood draw at 8 am and refused to give him the results.....(how dumb) but did call our cardio's office by about 2 that afternoon with them. NOT for us!!! I'm hoping either Coaguchek comes out with new strips, or our insurances will pay for an INRatio....the paperwork is in---who knows how long it will take.

Ev

Cork said:
Hi Karlynn
Unfortunately, there is not just one lab that handles my draws. I travel around the country for work and I could be in any city at any time. So I just find the lab in whatever city that I'm in. Sometimes I do end up getting it within a day. However, usually that is not the case.

As always, thanks for everyones replies.

Happy Holidays,
Cork

I'm not on ACT, but your situation sounds like you need to self check.
ith your job requirements and length of time you are waiting....maybe you can get your cardio to help push the insurance company to pay for your machine.

Ben

Ben Smith said:
I'm not on ACT, but your situation sounds like you need to self check.
ith your job requirements and length of time you are waiting....maybe you can get your cardio to help push the insurance company to pay for your machine.

Ben

I attempted to get a self testing machine on two differant occasions and both times my insurance company stated that they do not pay for "objects of convenience". Trying to discuss INR and mechanical valves with them is similar to beating your head on a wall. I've considered paying for it out of my pocket but they are still rather expensive. If they keep coming down in price I will probably end up sucking it up. :cool:

Thanks
Cork

catwoman said:
I agree with Ben. You should be self-testing, if you're having to hunt down a lab in a variety of cities while traveling for business.

Where do you live (city & state or country)?

I live in Virginia Beach, VA when I'm not working. The labs that I've found here have to fly the blood up to Baltimore overnight to be processed. If I go to the lab at the hospital I'm easily looking at and hour and a half in the waiting room before they even draw me. I work similar hours to the times the labs are open and can't take that long to leave work and come back.

Thanks for the reply,
Cork

"I ask because sometimes it can take days before the labs get the results to the doctors office. Sometimes they even need to send the blood to a differant city."

This is not the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, but it comes close--You need your results the VERY SAME DAY as you have your blood test. Anything longer than that is malpractice, in my opinion!

Do whatever you can to get another facility to do your testing, or get a home test unit. You could do much better than they are doing.

They are absloutely not doing right by you.

Scream--holler!!! You are paying these people to take good care of you, and they are not.

Va Beach is the largest city in Virginia. You are not being told the truth about flying the samples to Baltimore. They may be doing it for their economy but every hospital with more that 20 beds probably has the capability to do the test on-site.

If they are insisting that they can't get the results to you the same day, they have given you a perfect reason for insurance approval of a home testing unit. I would highly recommend you do that.

BTW - my cardio got an INRatio free from Hemosense and she just pays for the strips. So there is no excuse for not getting you the results the same day, even within a few minutes.

If they give you the clap trap that lab results are more reliable, they haven't bothered to read the literature in the last 5 years.

Find a Coumadin Clinic and you will get instant test results, no waiting, and your recommended medications for the next period.

The service that you are getting is NOT MEDICALLY correct!!! Scream, yell, swear, and find a coumadin clinic.

Joann does not believe in home testing for herself, but you can not wait 24 hrs. for the results of your testing.

Latest posts

Back