Household checklist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieS

End of month OHS, getting my household to do list in order. Got my flower boxes all planted for the summer. Any last minute household to do's anyone can think of that is beneficial prior to the big day?

One thing to keep in mind is that most all household chores are less important than you are. Be sure to take care of yourself during this time prior to surgery. Spend time with friends and family, and devote some time to those things you personally enjoy. There will be plenty of time for housework later.

As to things to do in preparation for your return home, there is a thread around here somewhere that covers it pretty completely. Best to read the thread and decide which items apply to you, as there is quite a range of advice -- all good advice, but not all applicable to everyone. If you can't find the thread, I think greg_a often refers new members to it.

If your up to it prepare some frozen dinners like casseroles. Put items from your cupboard that are higher than your shoulder on the counter top. Reaching for objects might be a little uncomfortable/painful for the first week home, even opening the fridge door could cause discomfort.

Just rest and relax. Everything can wait and your recovery comes first. I have not checked your previous threads/posts so I am not sure if you will have help at home or not. So, preparing home-made food and freezing it is a great idea...REMEMBER TO SEASON WITH HERBS AND SPICES INSTEAD OF SALT. As you may know, salt retains fluids which will thus impose an extra load on the heart.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Thank you. The food preparation is a great idea. My husband will be with me during the surgery week but has to go back on the 5th of July so....Mandatory I am home before then :) My poor poor 16 year old son (Jacob) will be doing all chores on the farm, plus. Poor kid. That is one thing that will be very very hard for me is the looking at all the things that need to be done daily and not do them. UG....I learned my lesson last time though and lifted a 40 pound dog onto the deck 2 weeks after surgery and paid for it for a Lonnnggg time. Whoops, I found out there is a reason for the restrictions... :)

One thing I learned after my first surgery and was ready for when I had my second was Pillows.
I bought a pile of pillows in all sizes and loved each and every one of them. That added greatly to my comfort and enabled me to sleep in our bed right home from the hospital.

NO LIFTING..... happy to hear you know that. The price one can pay is way too high.

All best wishes for a successful surgery and bump free recovery.

Julie, if ever you want to redo the house do it now ....do you have a recliner to sleep in the first few nights home you may want to look at the house with a critical eye towards the end of making things easier ....raised toilet seat ?....OH and be sure to appoint someone to keep your family here up to date

Great ideas Greg!! Actually I did that already - well it took awhile but we repainted my bedroom a happy color. Oh my gosh... you guys my husband wants me to stay with his mother for the first week after as he will be back to work. He insists that because we raise canines and they are in the home that he worries about infections. I told him we would talk about it later, he is staying strong on this one. Don't get me wrong our home is a very nice home and is clean but with the dogs I clean daily. Is he just being paranoid? (My inlaws are wonderful people but.... I sure would be more comfortable at home) Any thoughts? ")

JulieS
My Surgeon actually made it mandatory that someone be with me 24 hrs a day for the first 2 weeks post-op. He did not want me showering alone, just in case I felt dizzy or fell. Nor did he want me taking walks around the block by myself........same reasons. I was lucky that my 30 y/o daughter took 2 wks emergency leave from her job. ( There is a law which makes it possible for them to get paid, during this time and their job has to grant it, when it is immediate family)
My 24 y/o grandson was here too, to help clean, walk with me, but I needed a female in the shower area with me. I didn't want to traumatize the poor guy for life....so my grandson was grateful he got to skip that duty,lol
The only thing,I had to send my daughter to the store to buy, once I was home....was a 1 1/2 liter container with a lid........so I could measure, my fluid restriction . My surgeon limited my fluids to 1 1/2 L a day for 2 weeks.
You may want to be where another female is present, for the reasons I stated. And.............you won't be able to clean up after your dogs, and unfortunately, when we come home...our lungs really need to be in an environment free of animal hair , especially if you have any allergies. You definitely do not want to be coughing from a respiratory infection.
Best of luck on whatever decisions you make and wishing you a bump-free journey to the other side of the mountain.
Renee
Go Team 2011 !!!!

I am sure you must have read the sternal precautions and so lifting a dog of any size above 10lbs is OUT and as to the shower our medical system provided a shower stool and a grab bar for me ....these we kept by buying them back as used (I used them) and having our insurance pay-out the cost as well as th e raised toilet seat

I boarded my large dog for the first 4 weeks. She was older and required a lot of cleaning and care (baths, help up and down stairs) that I couldn't give immediately post surgery. That was the best call I made as I wasn't tempted to lift her. Can your inlaws keep the dogs?

I was often asked to stay with others during my recovery, but I just couldn't rest as well in someone else's home.

Get a little purse/holder for your cell phone and keep it on you at all times. You may be able to have a home health nurse or a friend check on you during the day while your husband is out.

RE infections, I thought about that, too, but I don't think it is such a big deal once the incision has closed up. You just need to be diligent about hand washing (you and others) but you would do that anyway. Pets can be great comfort and company to you while you are recovering as long as you have someone else taking care of them.

I agree with others here -- you may feel okay, but try not to be alone the first two or three weeks. I was feeling great and was getting ready to spend my first night alone at home about 10 days after surgery and sure enough I had to go to the ER (afib).

Last edited:
Thank you - Yes I did read them but chose to have a really ignorant moment :) Thank you for all the great knowledge.
Drivetopless I read your caringbridge journey, that was quite the journey. I am glad you are past that hurdle. No chance to board our dogs, and the inlaws. Oh my.... no chance there. I told my husband I would think about it and see how it goes. I am not worried about the jumping, they are well mannered that way so. I have my soon to be 16 year old son who would be here to. He is a great help.

Good points Natina, maybe I will stay there a couple of days. It depends how this goes and how I feel. I know there is family leave from work but I am not aware that they pay you for that? Is that the law you are speaking of?

:):)

Thank you - Yes I did read them but chose to have a really ignorant moment :) Thank you for all the great knowledge.
Drivetopless I read your caringbridge journey, that was quite the journey. I am glad you are past that hurdle. No chance to board our dogs, and the inlaws. Oh my.... no chance there. I told my husband I would think about it and see how it goes. I am not worried about the jumping, they are well mannered that way so. I have my soon to be 16 year old son who would be here to. He is a great help.

Good points Natina, maybe I will stay there a couple of days. It depends how this goes and how I feel. I know there is family leave from work but I am not aware that they pay you for that? Is that the law you are speaking of?

:):)

The famiy leave act does NOT mean they have to give anyone paid leave, they only say you can take UNPAID leave (I think 12 weeks) and your job (and insurance) must be held for you. Also it is only for employers that have a certain amount of employees http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm some states have slightly different laws.

Last edited:
Well.................my daughter was paid, through the family leave act. My surgeon signed all the forms, showing it was a medical necessity to care for me for 2 weeks. It is called PFL.....What is Paid Family Leave?
Paid Family Leave is a California law that provides you with income
replacement if you:
* pay into the State Disability Insurance (SDI) program and
*are taking leave to bond with a newborn baby, newly adopted
or foster child, or to care for a parent, child, spouse or registered
domestic partner with a serious health condition.

*Up to six weeks of partial pay — 55% of your weekly wage up to a
maximum benefit. (For example, the maximum benefit in 2009 is
$959.00. This amount changes each year).
You may combine a portion of your paid sick leave or vacation time with PFL up
to a total of 100% of wages. By combining 45% of sick leave with the
55% PFL benefit, you can get 100% of wages while on leave. Your
employer should be sure to notify EDD that only 45% of wages are
being paid from your accumulated sick leave
The law does not guarantee your job. However, many workers
qualify for 12 weeks of job-protected leave under Family Medical
Leave (FMLA) and the California Family Rights Act (CFRA). In
this case, PFL should be taken concurrently with FMLA and/or
CFRA to guarantee job protection.

Request an application by contacting the Employment Development
Department (EDD):
Visit www.edd.ca.gov to order an application online

Each State may have different laws.............lucky for me, California will pay. You can check at your EDD office to find out the laws of your State or online.
Hope this helps some here.
Renee

That is awesome Renee. Thank you for all the info it is much appreciated. I checked yesterday with my employer, it is looking like WI is different. I will know more for sure today. Thankyou :)

Julie - Unfortunately most of the country is "different." the Paid Family Leave Act is, I believe, unique to California. I'm sure Illinois has no such law, but I do not know if any other states do. (I don't mean to hijack this thread into a political rant, just trying to clear up a possible misunderstanding that could bring others in various states to make erroneous assumptions regarding the pay status of temporary care givers.)

That is awesome Renee. Thank you for all the info it is much appreciated. I checked yesterday with my employer, it is looking like WI is different. I will know more for sure today. Thankyou :)

I THINK, it doesn't matter what YOUR employer says, it all depends on the person's who would be taking the time off to CARE for you employment. They would be the one that needs to qualify under the family leave act for the nation OR whatever state laws they have. Here is Wisconsin if it helps -the care giver lives or works in the same state you do http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/er/family_and_medical_leave/

Last edited:
me again
I copied this from the Wis site since part of it really surprised me

"Wisconsin Family And Medical Leave Act

The Wisconsin Family and Medical Leave Act (For Information on the Federal Act) requires that all employers with 50 or more permanent employees must allow employees of either sex up to six (6) weeks of leave in a twelve-month period for the birth or adoption of a child, up to two (2) weeks of leave in a calendar year for the care of a child, spouse, parent, domestic partner, as defined in § 40.02(1) or 770.01(1), or parent of a domestic partner with a serious health condition and up to two (2) weeks of leave in a twelve-month period for the employee's own serious health condition. The law also states that no one may "interfere with, restrain or deny the exercise of any right" provided under the law and it also prohibits discharging or discriminating against anyone for opposing a practice prohibited under the law, for filing a charge under the law, for assisting in an investigation or other proceeding under the law or for testifying in an investigation or hearing held in relation to rights guaranteed by the law."

So it LOOKS like in Wisconsin they only have to hold your job for 2 weeks for your OWN health problem, which doesn't sound right. Since most major surgeriees or illnesses need more than 2 weeks off.
IF I lived in Wisconsin I would try to figure out if that is only unpaid leave and maybe if you have enough sick or vacation time they would have to hold your job?

All Employers who have 25 or more employees must post a notice which states the employer’s policies for family and medical leave and employers with 50 or more employees must also post, in one or more conspicuous places, a poster developed by the Department, which states the employees’ rights under the law. These employees' rights posters are available from the Department of Workforce Development. The penalty for violation (not posting) is $100 for each offense

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back