Home monitoring systems in Canada

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UWMike

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
To my fellow Canucks out here... I was wondering where exactly I can get one of these home monitoring systems from. Did you order them online or are they available through hospitals/drug stores/etc.?? The two I've seen most discussed are the INRatio and the CoaguChek XS so my question pertains specifically to these although any information would be helpful. I had my pre-admission clinic visit today and was strongly encouraged by both the nurses and a felllow valver to look into these home monitoring systems to keep on top of my INR. This was also something my cardio brought up with me the last time I saw her so it seems like the way to go. I also saw something mentioned about a home-monitoring kit being offered through Toronto General to every mechanical valve patient post-op. Since that's where my surgery will be happening, does anyone have any info on that?

Thanks a bunch

Good morning Mike
You are very fortunate to be having your surgery at Toronto General Hospital.
TGH personnel trained me to use first my Coaguchek S and when it stopped working taught me to use my XS. My "S" was purchased from the hospital pharmacy on the first floor of the hospital. It was still under warranty when it broke down and Roche sent me the replacing XS. Later I was told valve replacement patients were informed of the value home testing prior to hospital discharge.
I test my blood weekly and e-mail the results to TGH and usually have a response via e-mail before noon.
TGH pioneered the use of POC home monitoring and at the time I asked for mine preferred the Coaguchek.
I have nothing but praise for TGH, Point of Care (POC) home monitoring and my Coaguchek monitors.
They are the best friend an anti-coagulated patient can have.
Keep us informed of your progress.

Out here in the Prairies I got my prescription for my cardiologist and my Coaguchek XS monitor from an independent drug store, although London Drugs carries them.

It sounds like TGH would be able to point you in the right direction on where to purchase one.

i got a prescription from my cardiologist and bought a coaguchek xs from London drugs in Vancouver, my extended health insurance did not cover the price which was around 500.00, or the test strips.....

I was talking to an Owner/Operator at Shoppers and he said if I needed one (testing post my mitral repair) he could order it ....there is a new school of Pharmacy here in K-W affiliated with Mac http://uwaterloo.ca/pharmacy/ and they may be able to guide you as well as TGH .....really wish London Drugs would break loose in Ontario or you may want to contact Coagucek directly http://www.coaguchek.com/com/index.php?target=/en/professionals/training_centers/canada nothing better than the horses mouth

Various Ontario and Quebec pharmacies have selling agreements with Roche in Montreal, Quebec.
In the Toronto area, it will be very simple to get one post op.
My GP gave me a prescrip, I called Roche, and within 2 weeks had my new Coaguchek XS for $500.

You can buy the Coaguchek XS machine and test strips at the Victoria Pharmacy on Victoria Ave. N. in Hamilton, across from Hamilton General Hospital. That's where I got mine.

I bought my machine from a small pharmacy in Toronto, then took it to my GP, who gave me a prescription for it (no supplementary insurance anyway) which I took back to the pharmacy for their records. I had to do it that way because my GP simply had no idea what I was talking about! When he saw it, he expressed an interest in buying one for the practice to better serve his ACT patients.

Just information. I am currently doing some research and have a call into Roche regarding a purchase of a Coaguchek XS unit and waiting for a return call. While waiting for the call, I bounced around their site and found a 29 page PDF of all the suppliers they have an agreement with in Canada.

Don't forget fellow Canucks to save all receipts for POC monitoring because they are tax deductible. Several years ago TGH personnel and others petitioned OHIP for coverage but Mr. McGuinty prefers to spend billions on industrial wind turbines and cancelled gas plants instead.

Don't forget fellow Canucks to save all receipts for POC monitoring because they are tax deductible. Several years ago TGH personnel and others petitioned OHIP for coverage but Mr. McGuinty prefers to spend billions on industrial wind turbines and cancelled gas plants instead.

Actually, you might as well say that he prefers to spend the money on ACT clinics, doctor visits, blood draws and treatment for acute hemorrhaging and ischemia. Those things together all cost a great deal more than self testing, self dosing among those who are capable, and there are reams of studies to demonstrate that.

Actually, you might as well say that he prefers to spend the money on ACT clinics, doctor visits, blood draws and treatment for acute hemorrhaging and ischemia. Those things together all cost a great deal more than self testing, self dosing among those who are capable, and there are reams of studies to demonstrate that.

Like almost everything else when I spend money I expect something of value in return. Mr. McGuinty (I'm being polite and could use other words) has wasted millions of dollars of our money in subsidies, cancelled the gas plants subjecting us to lawsuits, etc, etc, etc. and he has now assumed the identity of a dictator. He is wasting our money on his nefarious schemes when funding monitors is worthwhile.

Just information. I am currently doing some research and have a call into Roche regarding a purchase of a Coaguchek XS unit and waiting for a return call. While waiting for the call, I bounced around their site and found a 29 page PDF of all the suppliers they have an agreement with in Canada.

After waiting since my first post for an answer on price (and one friendly reminder) with the local Shoppers I called another local pharmacy that was not listed on the Coaguchek web site. They said they could get it no problem and would deal on the price which was listed as $645 from their distributor. I paid $500 (no tax on these since summer 2012) for the Coaguchek XS System on 01/04/13 and picked it up on 01/07/13. I am very happy to finally have it in hand, but the strips aren't here because I was asking for the expiration date of the warehouse stock before I decided to buy 24 or 48. Expecting that answer in the next day or two.

I am looking forward to being able to successfully do this at home and quit having venous blood drawn every week or two. Big deterrent to travel is now out of the way too. I'll post any further info worthwhile.

I just registered it online for warranty purposes tonight and just had to confirm I could use it OK and had my doctor's approval and the previous requirements seems to be looser than they were. The package with the warranty card had a much stricter requirement concerning training confirmation. I did not need to have a script from the doctor prior to purchase. Having said all that, I can certainly see where at least a more than moderate understanding of the in-home testing protocol would be preferable.

Recently there was a TV programme on CBC exposing counterfeit items--the programme was Marketplace.
Counterfeit drugs are being sold on the internet. One woman in BC died because the drugs she bought were counterfeit and contained a large numbers of contaminants including arsenic a known poison.
So we prefer to buy from the pharmacy, save the receipts and apply for a total refund at income tax time.

I've seen and heard some of those alarmist things, too, and it seems as if some of the smoke that is being generated may originate from the drug companies, trying to preserve their monopolies on medications. The truth is, many of the medications that are available are made in other countries at company owned factories where it's less expensive to manufacture them.

In the case of warfarin, this medication is so inexpensive that it makes sense to use a pharmacy and trust them to get the medication from reliable sources. I recently got 120 generic (Taro) 7.5 mg warfarin at a local Costco for less than $10 (US). My other pharmacy gave me 90 for $10. I suspect that safe, reliable, generic warfarin is similarly priced in Canada.

(Another, somewhat related observation -- because you brought up the issue with generics (and possibly tainted generics) - is my experience of the pricing of Lipitor. (I take it as part of a stroke protocol). The patented medication is more than $500 for 90 pills. The Generic Atorvastatin at my local Ralphs Pharmacy is about $450 for 90. At Costco, the same medication - same strength, same qusntity - is $35. IF you trust the source of your generic medications - and have a pharmacy that sets it pricing relative to its actual costs - you are sometimes able to get safe generics for a great deal less than you would pay for patent name (or even generic) versions of the same medication)

After waiting since my first post for an answer on price (and one friendly reminder) with the local Shoppers I called another local pharmacy that was not listed on the Coaguchek web site. They said they could get it no problem and would deal on the price which was listed as $645 from their distributor. I paid $500 (no tax on these since summer 2012) for the Coaguchek XS System on 01/04/13 and picked it up on 01/07/13. I am very happy to finally have it in hand, but the strips aren't here because I was asking for the expiration date of the warehouse stock before I decided to buy 24 or 48. Expecting that answer in the next day or two.

I am looking forward to being able to successfully do this at home and quit having venous blood drawn every week or two. Big deterrent to travel is now out of the way too. I'll post any further info worthwhile.

I just registered it online for warranty purposes tonight and just had to confirm I could use it OK and had my doctor's approval and the previous requirements seems to be looser than they were. The package with the warranty card had a much stricter requirement concerning training confirmation. I did not need to have a script from the doctor prior to purchase. Having said all that, I can certainly see where at least a more than moderate understanding of the in-home testing protocol would be preferable.

Update on purchasing strips. I think I got a good deal from the pharmacy (good in Canada anyway) I paid $350 for 48 strips and suggested retail was closer to $500 on the distributor's list. I feel that was pretty fair of them. Anyone have any better pricing in Ontario, I'd be interested.

Ya, that seems to be a good price DMS. I buy the 24 packs of strips at London Drugs here in Alberta for 200 bucks, the little boxes of 6 are 50 bucks here, that's what I used to buy until I got tired of going to get them. So I'm thinking I might have to pay 400 bucks for the 48 box over here. So you are doing good alright.

If you're not afraid of eBay (and I'm not), you can get a better price on eBay. There probably wouldn't be any problems with customs. Of course, if you are looking for reimbursement or some other coverage, buying the strips out of pocket on eBay may not be the best way.

(Also -- according to the rules for the forums, I can't recommend using an unauthorized source. From my personal experience, I've bought my InRatio strips on eBay, and occasionally bought my ProTime cuvette from a medical supply company. Because I don't yet have a CoaguChek XS, I haven't had to get strips for it--but if and when I do, I will personally consider eBay to be one resource for these strips).

Just bought my first bought my first box of 48 InRatio strips through Amazon; total cost including shipping, brokerage and taxes was about $250. Seemed fairly reasonable.

Latest posts

Back