Home Monitor in Hospital?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RI Mom

My son has his PVR coming up and is already on ACT for his mechanical mitral. I am hoping that I can convince the cardiologist to allow me to check his INR with the home monitor in the hospital. Blood draws send my child through the roof!!!!! Has anyone here ever done that?

Three Points-

1- In the Hospital, his SURGEON is the Doctor in Charge

2- It's NOT likely that the Hospital will trust / accept a patient provided instrument for monitoring and dosing. It's a legal (and medical) thing. THEY are responsible for his care and outcome and will only trust THEIR established tests / instruments.

As one Coumadin Clinic Nurse told me long ago, she had NO problem with me having a Home Tester, but told me that she would have to make her recommenditions from THEIR tester (Coaguchek) or Lab Draw.

Sorry About That.

That said, you could always ASK, but don't count on a positive response.

3- As a Heart Patient, he is going to have to learn to come to grips with needles, IV's, and other invasive stuff. That's just the way it is. Hopefully you can get some help on how to achieve this from his Doctors and/or Nurses, maybe even a Psychologist.

FWIW, I always ask for a Butterfly Needle which is quite small. If your son has prominent veins in his hands, that may be less 'uncomfortable' than 'digging around' in his arms.

Tell him to either Close his Eyes or Look Away.
Also suggest that he can 'grit his teeth' or tighten any OTHER muscle, but to let the 'target area' go LIMP.
I learned that lesson as a child after tightening my leg muscle before getting a Booster Shot. It was SORE for a WEEK!

Good Luck.

'AL Capshaw'

Well for hospital regulations, I'm sure they'll want lab draws, but run it past him. Perhaps if he orders it, they'll lax up on the regulations.

I think they can put in some sort of a port that they can draw blood from. Ask them to do it after they have put him to sleep. That way, he won't have to have so many sticks. I also agree that there is no way they are going to rely on your own testing after his surgery.

Lovenox

Lovenox

Some POC monitors won't work if heparin is present. My old "S" didn't and I don't think my XS is different. Might bear checking out.

They let me do my own test on my own machine when I was in for the defib replacement, until I had to bridge on lovenox. And they accepted the results. I told them I hated the vampires.
I was starting on Sotolol for v-tach, which has to be started in hospital, and was scheduled for the defib surgery on Monday. So in on Friday morning after the v-tach while driving episode, and did my own testing Saturday and Sunday while holding coumadin, until I got below range, then with bridging the H error code would come up on my INRatio, so lab draw on Monday before surgery -they wanted me below 2 for surgery.

Good news!! I got in touch with the Coordinator for the Ped. Cardiac Surgery program at the hospital who spoke to the surgeon and he is in favor of using the home monitor in the hospital to regulate the coumadin after surgery. I'm thrilled!! They also said that they would put a dedicated line in for checking the heparin, apparently they typically check it every 6 hours until they get the level they want pre-surgery. So they can just draw from the IV. That sure beats the "trauma and drama" that would ensue if they came in every 6 hours for a blood draw. He will be admitted on June 29 and have surgery on July 1st.

Good news!! I got in touch with the Coordinator for the Ped. Cardiac Surgery program at the hospital who spoke to the surgeon and he is in favor of using the home monitor in the hospital to regulate the coumadin after surgery. I'm thrilled!! They also said that they would put a dedicated line in for checking the heparin, apparently they typically check it every 6 hours until they get the level they want pre-surgery. So they can just draw from the IV. That sure beats the "trauma and drama" that would ensue if they came in every 6 hours for a blood draw. He will be admitted on June 29 and have surgery on July 1st.

They will have to put two lines in. One in each arm. They cannot draw labs from the line they run the Heparin into.

Congratulations!

It just shows that it Never Hurts to ASK! :)

Glad it worked out well for you and your son!

'AL Capshaw'

Back