Home Four days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Mazer

I returned Wednesday for a 10 day visit to St. Josephs Hospital in Atlanta. By surgery was conducted by Dr.Edward Chen of Emory. I had a mechanical replacement of my bicuspid aortic valve (St. Judes, a replacement of the aortic arch (which was said by surgeon to be AT 5.5 mll at some point), and one bypass. The surgery was quite long which resulted a few problems, like lung efficiency, low oxygen levels, and kidney functions. As a result I was in intensive care from Tuesday night, November 5th to November 12th. The care I received from both Dr. Chen's staff and hospital nurses was top topnotch.

Now I am trying to understand the rate recovery exercise function, like walking. I used to walk 3-5 miles a day before the surgery and swim one-half mile. I can feel improvement but I am beginning to realize it will be gradual,

I now have sound mechanical sound I can go to sleep by. I do have one question-after some exertion or cold temperatures, I get the shakes. I was told that was normal as the heart adjust.

You'll be able to resume the exercise. Just take it slow and especially with any load bearing exercise. If you do cardiac rehab, they can help you with some of this.

Re - Cold and shaking. I was freezing ALL the time when I came home. This lasted about two weeks. Then I was back to normal.

I was very short of breath and couldn't walk far for the first 4 or 5 days. I walked several times daily for 10 minutes, then 15, etc. Within about 10 days my endurance was much better and after about 3 weeks I could walk pretty much normally. Hang in there- you'll improve rapidly.

I was very sensitive to cold right after surgery, which was quite unusual for me. I thought it might be related to low hemoglobin levels, which I think is not uncommon after OHS. I wasn't even told my levels were low for a couple weeks but they were low enough I wound up taking iron pills for a month or so. The cold sensitivity went away after a couple weeks and my hemoglobin levels came back quickly. I was walking 1/2 mile by the time I came home from the hospital, and was told to take it easy so for the first month I didn't increase the distance even though I felt I could. After the first month I was allowed to increase and just watched that I kept my HR under 120. After 2 months restrictions were lifted and I was even allowed to start swimming - earlier than I expected.

For the first month I was at home, I walked around the house wearing long pants, flannel shirt and wrapped in a blanket. Showers were torture - had to turn up an electric heater in the bathroom. I was told this was because I was anemic (low hemoglobin). To compound the situation, my digestive system was very messed up from the surgical and pain meds, so I wasn't eating well. It took weeks before all this normalized, but by about 6 or 7 weeks, I was on my way to recovery. Just minor bumps in the road. Give it some time and it will resolve itself.

That's great news. Yes exercise functions will improve gradually so don't get to concerned about distances. Odd you mention temperatures. I had a panic attack in the hospital because I felt so freaking cold. The nurses had to check up on me but nothing to report. Outside it was close to 100 during a June heatwave in Atlanta.

Drugs and meds can also have some side effects as well that are worth keeping in mind. E.g. Metoprolol. I am on this drug and 2 of the side effects I found out about from the pharmacist (and both of which I experience) are that it can cause (a) colder extremities such as hands and feet and (b) head rushes/dizziness when you get up too quickly. Anyways, keep in mind that the cocktail of drugs can cause some funny side effects, especially at first.

Exercise recovery is gradual and is very dependent on how fit you were going into your surgery, among other things. It'll come back before you know it. Get a stress test at 6-8 weeks from your surgery date - that'll give you a good idea of how you are doing.

I'll echo what others have said. With my first surgery, I did not receive any blood transfusions and I was anemic afterwards. For several weeks after I returned home, my toes felt ice-cold even with a heating pad. When you're anemic, your body gives priority to providing proper blood flow and oxygenation to your vital organs and central core. That leaves your extremities "out in the cold" so to speak. It's normal. Talk to your doctor about your hemoglobin levels and the possibilty of iron supplements.

FWIW, with my second surgery, I was anemic before my surgery and received two units of packed RBCs during surgery. I didn't have the same problems with cold and shivering, though I was still a bit anemic after sugery.

Latest posts

Back