Holidaying In Florida???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Key West---fabulous

Key West---fabulous

The beaches in Fort Lauderdale or Miami are not my style.
But driving down through the Keys is great!! There are quiet spots along the way and the party town of Key West at the end. My father had property in Marathon and 30 years ago we could buy huge bags of shrimps right off the boats. I think we ate shrimp for breakfast, lunch and dinner :D

We lived in the Tampa Bay are for almost three years. There is a beautiful old hotel in St. Petersburg Beach called the Don Cesar. It's pricey, but such a lovely place. You can look it up on the internet and see pictures and reviews. LINDA

Hello Ireland

Hello Ireland

I just had to say hello. I am from Sarasota and am headed to Ireland for vacation on July 7!
I was born and raised in Miami.
Anyway, you can't beat Sarasota. Clearwater, St Pete and vicinity are beautiful but it really depends on whether you are looking for action or a quiet week at the beach. Sarasota is a much quieter and less hectic city! We live on Siesta Key ...and would love to take you for a boat ride if we are in town. We will be in the mtns of NC until mid Oct so it may not work. Just let me know.
Wherever you go you will not be disappointed. Key West is worth the trip!
Hoping to hear from you.
Karen

Hi!

I, too, live in Sarasota! I highly recommend it! I very much doubt that vacationing here is any more expensive the other places you've mentioned. Obviously, there are areas there are more geared to the "tourist" dollars than others, but there are several of us here that would be happy to point you in the right direction. Siesta Key (as Starkone can attest to) has probably one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere. The town of Sarasota is very attractive and has great restaurants. Theater is superb. Night life is not shabby! Something for everyone. WELCOME!!

Jan

I have noted we've got quite a number of folks living in Sarasota and surrounding areas. Maybe next time I get to son's we could have a VR mini reunion. Just don't know when I am going. Y'all could all get together yourselves since you are close. I met Granbonny on a visit to Atlanta and we had a great time.

Yeah, I know this is off topic. Sorry.

hello again

hello again

Hi,

Small world isn't it!!
We start in Shannon then Ashford Castle, County Mayo,
County Donegal, Dublin, County kilkenny, Cork, Killarney,
Co Clare(Dromoland Castle) for two nights.(I don't know where any of this is!) We are on a tour so our life is really not our own for those two weeks!!:D Not that we mind!
We will be in Sarasota right about the middle of Oct.
I will tell you that Sept is very hot and sticky there and things tend to
improve around mid Oct. You might like the hot as you don't get much in
Ireland but it does make it harder to endure some of the adventures you are
planning. ie Disney! The crowds then out in Disney as soon as school is in session, Sept. If you haven't been to Disney you are in for a real treat!
Be sure and call if your time frame works out. I will PM my phone # for you.
Fondly,
Karen

Hey all you Florida folks.
I started this thread quite a while back and to be honest every time I research the state, it's beaches, hotels etc. I get even more excited by the minute!!

Unfortunately I don't have a date yet for going but it is almost definitely to be between 20th september and 1st November. (I have to wait to see how the team I coach progress through their competition, much to the delight of my girlfriend :D )

Hensylee: I don't think we are going to take in Key West as it might be too much for travelling for our 17 night stay :( but definetly if we enjoy and decide to go again it will be on the list)

At this stage the plan roughly will be:

7 nights in orlando - staying at cheapish hotel such as quality Inn or Howard Johnson.

4 nights in Clearwater - staying at Marriot suites or Shearton Sand Key. Both look fab.

3 nights in St.Petes staying in Don Cesar - Recommended by Twinmaker: 5 star and looks the business :D

3 Nights in Sarasota - staying in The Helmsley - looks pleasant and on the beach also.

Will fly from Gatwick, London, and have a car hired for the 17 nights.

If we end up having the choice, when would be the best time to go:

Mid Sept, Early Oct or Early Nov???
Any other ideas guys as regards places to see etc. or even a change to our 17 day itinerary??

you will enjoy Sarasota and you are staying in a prime location. Try to get to downtown (old) Sarasota. I was there a few months ago and found there are lovely small shops and fine restaurants plus a dinner theater. I have been lots of times to the dinner theater, seen good shows and enjoyed a good meal. Ringling Museum and Ringling's home are not far and both are worth seeing. My son was married in the Helmsley Hotel and we overnighted there; Ms Helmsley had an apartment on the top floor. I expected it to be fancier than it turned out to be but it was very comfortable and yes, the beach is right outside the hotel. We all waded in the water after the wedding and dinner were over.

Not to worry about Key West; it's been there a very long time and will be there on your next trip.

Enjoy your time in Florida; you won't be sorry.

Hello Again

Hello Again

Hi Bad,

BTW, we had a great time in Ireland.....what a beautiful country!

I would go as late as possible to get the best weather. It is really perfect in
late oct or early nov and less chance for hurricaines!
Your itinerary sounds good! You could consider skipping clearwater, going to St Pete, then maybe Sanibel Island or Captiva for a couple of days after Sarasota? (a beautiful island south of sarasota)
Just a thought. The two St Pete /Clearwater are similar and you could go to Clearwater for one day visit from St pete.
Did I send a phone number for when you are in Sarasota? Where are you flying out from?
Best of luck with your plans.
Karen

BM
From Sarasota to Key West there are 372 miles and should take yo approximately 6 1/2 hrs. You can get driving directions from
Mapquest

http://www.mapquest.com/

Click on "directions" and on the city "from". write Sarasota, and on State write FL
on the city "to" write Key West and State FL and you'll get detailed driving directions. Enjoy your trip

Hey Karen. Glad you enjoyed the emerald isle.
Might just do that. You reckon St.Petes wud be better to say in then Clearwater?? Must check out Sanibel here. Just checked sanibel there. Virgin only do one hotel there. The"West Wind INN". Is it an nice island with much to do/see?? I assume you can go by car?

You haven't sent me yet. It looks like we will be going at the begining of November. I am a bit of a sun lover. Will it still be nice and warm for the beach etc??? Still holding u to that boat ride :)
We will be flying from Gatwick London.

Ann: Sarasota sounds lovely, especially the fine dining. Now that sounds like my kind of wedding :D

Florida is booked!! :)

Leaving Gatwick on the 5th of Novemember for 17 nights.

7 nights at the Masters Inn Kisamee Orlando, then driving down to the Sanibel Harbour Resort and Spa - Fort Myers/Sanibel Island for 3 nights.
Looks beautiful.

Then back up to Sarasota to stay at the Helmsley Sand Castle hotel for 4 nights. And to finish off the last 3 nights will be in the Don Cesar hotel in St. Petersburg.

Got a really great deal with Virgin Holidays and we are both really looking forward to a dream holiday. Thanks for all the great tips and advice with more hopefully to follow folks :D

you have chosen one of the best times of the year to be in Florida. The weather isn't too unbearably hot in NOvember, but hot enough for you to get a really good sunburn fo be sure to apply your sun block often during the day, especially if you are at the beach since you get burnt by the sun AND reflections from sand and water.

Have a wonderful time while you are here. Well, we already know you will. Be sure to tell us all about it after you get back home.

sounds perfect!

sounds perfect!

Hello Bad Mad...

YOur trip sounds ideal. You will need recovery time after 7 days in Orlando!
There is so much to do there that you will want to be on the beach after that!
Sanibel is a great place. An idylic island that trys to remain that way! Be sure to rent bikes (if you ride). There is a bike path the length of the island and you get to see gators and such on the way! Captiva is on the northern end of the island and be sure to go there by bike or whatever. There is a nature center with walks (Ding Darling Park) . You will get the true fla. feel there! We always enjoy eating at the Bubble Room on Captiva....if it is still there! It is a fun experience. I think no reservations but worth the wait.
Look it up on the net.
When in Sarasota there is plenty to do. Will go into that latere. I am private messaging you with my cell number.
I am sure you are looking forward to Nov! It will be great!
Karen

I second the suggestion to eat at the Bubble Room on Sanible Island:) :) :). Be prepared to come hungry, very, very hungry. More than likely you will not only be full, but also leave with lunch for the next day. My wife and I went to Sanibel on our honey moon 19 years ago. We have been back two or three times since then.

Karl

Thanks for the tips, once again guys :)
Although we will have a car, I think we will def. hire bikes when in Sanibel area.

BTW, the resort we are staying at, although named Sanibel harbour Resort and Spa, it's not in Sanibel, but in fact looking over Sanibel and San Carlos Bay :( but the beach is just across the toll bridge, and I suppose we'll get plenty of beach in Sarasota and st. petes. :)

Couple of questions.

Do any of you know the best/cheapest way top book tickets for Disney/Universal? Maybe online?
Any website I was on, you could only book Disney and Universal individually.

Latest posts

Back