here i was 3 days post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heck I was thinking, sadly, of all I won't be able to wear - saw your photo and thought LOOK not so bad! She could wear that dress proudly (and probably comfortably since nothing is rubbing on the scar)...... maybe I won't have to lose my cool "very in style" dresses! I have to agree with the guys and figure that anyone telling you what to wear/not to wear or where to go/not to go is not only jealous but likely thinks they can wear some of these atrociously short dresses with BIG THIGHS! That would look much worse than one clean life-saving scar! Send me an email on your recuperation - I am hoping no more fevers!

060900_0942[00]..jpg
Thanks Ross, i knew you would come through!
I made sure my head was still attached when taking this. lol.

just a reply from earlier oops

Sounds like mommy in law needs to be put in her place! If you want to go to that wedding then you go girl! A friend of mine told me to not worry about your scar, wear it like a badge of honor!
Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Last edited:
Yours looks great too gadoty1 (your scar of course is what I mean, lol)! Congrats! See, for all you in the waiting room, this open heart surgery thing doesn't turn you into Frankenstein. In fact, all the cool kids are doing it ;) So come on in, the water's fine!

Lol, Georgia is much easier to remember than gadoty1 - glad you added that to your signature ;) And your daughter's right - we're all rock stars for going through this ;)

Malibu, I forgot to mention something that I've heard now from several different docs - they do more "stuff" (more internal stitches I think) at the very top and very bottom of your incision, so that's where they often heal up the latest. I remember Dan (on Youtube) had an issue at the top of his. In my case, it's at the bottom where my internal stitches aren't disolving as fast as the rest - but they are getting better finally (think I'm a couple wks ahead of you - my surgery was 5/5). Hang in there - I'm sure it'll be fine, if not immediately when the scab comes off - down the road.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the scar is your medal of honor in the fight for your life. Wear it with honor, wear it with pride.

Women don't be afraid to let it show. It doesn't make you any less attractive.

heck I was thinking, sadly, of all I won't be able to wear - saw your photo and thought LOOK not so bad! She could wear that dress proudly (and probably comfortably since nothing is rubbing on the scar)...... maybe I won't have to lose my cool "very in style" dresses! I have to agree with the guys and figure that anyone telling you what to wear/not to wear or where to go/not to go is not only jealous but likely thinks they can wear some of these atrociously short dresses with BIG THIGHS! That would look much worse than one clean life-saving scar! Send me an email on your recuperation - I am hoping no more fevers!

lol that's hilarious!

just a reply from earlier oops

Sounds like mommy in law needs to be put in her place! If you want to go to that wedding then you go girl! A friend of mine told me to not worry about your scar, wear it like a badge of honor!
Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

thanks! i agree!

Malibu, I forgot to mention something that I've heard now from several different docs - they do more "stuff" (more internal stitches I think) at the very top and very bottom of your incision, so that's where they often heal up the latest. I remember Dan (on Youtube) had an issue at the top of his. In my case, it's at the bottom where my internal stitches aren't disolving as fast as the rest - but they are getting better finally (think I'm a couple wks ahead of you - my surgery was 5/5). Hang in there - I'm sure it'll be fine, if not immediately when the scab comes off - down the road.

Yeah I think i remember the doctor telling me that they pack a bunch of tissue behind the top of the incision or something like that. i can't remember why. grosssss. but it is already looking better again today so i am sure it will be okay!

100524-224414.jpg

3 days post op

the incision was a lot longer then what they told me but whatever! they fixed me up!

Us guys have a bit easier. We can grow chest hair, look good, and that will cover the zipper (scar). (-; Yours looks like it will be a very think line, barely noticeable.

thank you! yes, they said they needed to go larger to get to everything they needed. it really doesn't bother me. seems to bother other people like my mother in law. she told me i should not go out in public right now because i dont want people looking at me thinking bad thoughts. ??????????? also she told me not to go to my husbands cousins wedding at the end of july because i dont want to be the center of attention. in case you are wondering, these are some nicer things she has said to me!

Don't worry about it! I'm 6 1/2 yrs post op and I still get stares. Wear that zipper proudly - you earned it. It really bothered me the first few months, but now it doesn't really register with me. I think, why are they staring at me? Do I have spinach in my teeth? and then it hits me, oh it's the scar. I just smile and go on my way. I've never hidden it, either! I will wear a strapless dress, 2 piece swimsuit, tank tops, whatever...I kind of dig the scar now.

Latest posts

Back