Here I sit again in the hospital at Duke Medical Center

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just returned from Duke Medical Center, but not as a patient. I was there for an evaluation of whether Dr. Attarian would do a hip replacment. (Gotta get my cardio here in MD to say I am fit enough for surgery first...) Anyway, driving down to NC, I listened to NPR when I could and found out that PIC lines are one of the leading causes of life threatening hospital-acquired infections. That changed my view on PIC lines.

As far as the Cardizem...when I was first admitted the nurse asked me to list all of my medications and when I last took them. I'll be honest, I didn't really think about it when they gave me the extra 2 doses of Cardizem. My heart rate was pretty steady at 125 and maybe in the back of my mind I was thinking they were trying to get it lower. It worked...lol. Something similar happened the first time I was in there but it only dropped to 48 and only lasted for a few minutes. Also, I wasn't on the extended release Cardizem.

As far as the PICC line they probably didn't want to put one in because I was only there for 3 days and I wasn't on any IV's except when they sedated me for my TEE and ablation (and of course the bags of NSS which were unplanned). I'm not sure why they didn't draw blood from the saline lock...I guess that's not their protocol. The worst was when they did 3 blood draws in an 8 hour period the last night I was there and the morning of the day I left. It seems like they could have done 1 blood draw and gotten results for all 3 tests. I know that 1 draw was for my INR level and 1 draw was for my white cell count (I'm guessing the 3rd draw was for my thyroid level). Maybe they wanted them done at a certain time after they gave me my first doses of the Coumadin and Synthroid.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes...so far they seemed to have worked. So far no dizziness, shortness of breath, or racing heart when I take the stairs up at a decent clip.

I just returned from Duke Medical Center, but not as a patient. I was there for an evaluation of whether Dr. Attarian would do a hip replacment. (Gotta get my cardio here in MD to say I am fit enough for surgery first...) Anyway, driving down to NC, I listened to NPR when I could and found out that PIC lines are one of the leading causes of life threatening hospital-acquired infections. That changed my view on PIC lines.
What can be really bad, if your pic line gets infected, is the line goes right to your heart. That was my concern when Justin had his for 6 weeks because of BE, that the LAST thing he needed was another infection that could easily get to your heart. Since his line was for 2 strong antibiotics, that made me feel a little better than if it was for something else, since I thought it would be pretty hard for bacteria to grow there, compared to other meds or just bloodwork.

Lyn,

I also had BE and I had a PICC line for 7 weeks giving myself Ceftriaxone 2gm daily. At the time I never really thought of the chance of infection, but given the fact that it's in place for so long it makes since that the odds of infection increase with time.

Lily,

Since I just started on Synthroid I googled it this morning to see how it reacted with Coumadin and found out that it moderately increases the effect of Coumadin (for lack of better words). They started me on 25mcg (I believe the smallest dose) and slightly reduced my Coumadin. If I get good results from the Synthroid and they decide to increase it I will remind them that they need to adjust my Coumadin accordingly. Thanks for bringing that up though. If I wasn't a pharmacy guy I might not of thought to check out the interaction. Also when I looked it up this morning I had to look up the word catabolism...lol

Hi Bryan,
I take thyroid hormone, levothyroxine (generic, as opposed to brand-name Synthroid) and I think my dose is 125 mcg, and it hasn't been a problem for me with warfarin. I also had BE years ago, and had a Hickman (which I think is similar or the same as a PIC?) for 6-weeks of IV vancomycin.

Hope you are feeling better and continue to improve.

Yeah, Bryan. Glad you found that helpful but looked it up yourself also. I know you are right on top of things like that.

While various personal experiences are only isolated incidents at best, and may have nothing to do with how you might react, I was on ACT for three months post-op (following the valve replacement and not the coarctation repair) and wondered if the thyroid RX I take might have been a contributing factor as to why I couldn't get/keep my INR in range.

Anyway, hoping you are feeling much better very soon :)

Thanks Lily...my groin is feeling better each day, other than that I feel 100% better. My resting heart rate is stable in the mid 70's. It's been over 2 months since the a-flutter started and although I realize it was dragging me down I didn't realize how much until the docs fixed it. I also have felt more energetic since going on the Synthroid. I think this may have been an issue for quite some time which could have been a big part of why I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue. It has always been attributed to depression (and some of it may have been) but I can definitely feel a difference in my energy level. I still have the aortic root and ascending aorta dilation to deal with and since my aortic valve is leaking moderately it probably makes me a little more tired. If I can get that fixed up then I'll be ready to work until I'm 100 to pay off all of my hospital bills...lol.

Thanks Lily...my groin is feeling better each day, other than that I feel 100% better. My resting heart rate is stable in the mid 70's. It's been over 2 months since the a-flutter started and although I realize it was dragging me down I didn't realize how much until the docs fixed it. I also have felt more energetic since going on the Synthroid. I think this may have been an issue for quite some time which could have been a big part of why I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue. It has always been attributed to depression (and some of it may have been) but I can definitely feel a difference in my energy level. I still have the aortic root and ascending aorta dilation to deal with and since my aortic valve is leaking moderately it probably makes me a little more tired. If I can get that fixed up then I'll be ready to work until I'm 100 to pay off all of my hospital bills...lol.

Bryan, I started on Levothyroxin (generic Synthroid) last September for Hypothyroidism. After two dosage changes over several months, I am at a level where I feel normal. It makes sense to me that you feel a difference in your energy level. If you notice that you again feel fatigued, it most likely means you need an increase in dosage. It is normal for thyroid meds to need to be adjusted until an equilibrium is achieved. I actually did not feel consistently normal until my levels tested at .9 which is near the bottom of normal. I hope you continue to feel better and more energetic. All the best!

Fatigue and depression are common with being hypothyroid. They should both resolve for you being on thyroid hormone, and as Wise said, dose may need to be changed here and there, so if either or both start to come back have thyroid checked.

Another thing to consider about thyroid medication (and remember I'm no authority so please confirm this) is that too much of it can leach calcium from your body.

I have read some similar comments about Coumadin possibly leaching calcium also.

Anyway, my doctor keeps my thyroid results on the sluggish side of normal for two reasons: the first is related to the calcium leaching issue and the second is to keep my heart from racing, as it might with a hyperthyroid condition.

Meanwhile, I never had a weight problem until I had to begin taking thyroid suppliment. Go figure. Treating gland issues is apparently fairly complicated.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes...so far they seemed to have worked. So far no dizziness, shortness of breath, or racing heart when I take the stairs up at a decent clip.

Excellent ... glad you are feeling better, Bryan!

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * 07/24/2010=ChitownMeet #3 *
MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"The journey's been etched on your skin" ... James Blunt ... '1973'

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Treating your thyroid will be a balancing act. It takes a couple weeks to reach a steady level after each medication dosage adjustment so you can't make a quick judgement on how you will feel. Thyroid hormones have a profound impact on energy levels, depression and heart rate/rhythm.

Well, you certainly won't reach the end of the Internet any more once you start surfing Thyroid discussion groups.... boy is there a ton out there! :)

Don't ask me how/why but my heart rate drops when I'm in range with my thyroid meds and my PVCs and other irregular heartbeats all but disappear. Any dark moods lift and energy levels rise too. Hormones are powerful stuff......

Sounds like the Docs have you heading back on track, I'm very happy for you.

All my best,
Ruth

Latest posts

Back