Heparin question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegasus

Hi,
it's now 3 in the morning and I can't think of anyone else to ask this question. My husband's dad had been admitted to the hospital. He had a series of small infarctions and is in mutiple organ failure and septic. It doesn't look good, especially given his age.
When we arrived at the hospital I saw my husband's dad was in A-fib but pulse rate under control around 80-106. BP was O.K. He was on a Heparin drip. When he was moved to a different room by late evening Heparin was stopped (he was still in A-fib but BP had dropped a little on the low side). Is it normal to stop Heparin after a while? My husband's dad is barely concious so there won't be any oral meds. I guess they have to weigh the risk of bleeding? We coudln't ask, as the evening doctor barely spoke a word English - he is in small french hospital. He is looked after well otherwise.
I can't thank you enough for any input you might have!!!!! We'll try to find an english speaking doctor in the morning.... Our German Shepherd got sick too and probably needs to go to the hospital (not normal vet) so it's all a bit difficult right now and we can't think really straight.
I was worried about my husband (the valve patient) but his BP and pulse were perfect. He isn't on any meds so stress-situations always worry me but his BP always stays amazing (knock on wood). It was borderline hypertension before surgery.
I am wishing you all well and thanks if you know about the heparin.

Sorry to hear about the troubles and even more sorry i have nothing useful to say on the matter.

I'd think that it being drip it should be constantly on with just the rate being altered but again, thats only my very uneducated thoughts on the process.

Hope you find someone to talk to soon.

I know that when Joe was in the hospital and in very serious condition (and that happened several times) and on Heparin, they constantly monitored his levels, and when it was within the parameters they were aiming for, his Heparin was put on hold. I am sure there were good reasons for stopping the Heparin, especially given the severity of your FIL's problems.

When problems become serious and complicated, it becomes a very tricky balancing act to keep everything going in the right direction, and what a doctor would normally do when things are not so serious, may not be the things they would do when the situation is difficult. I am sure they are communicating behind the scenes about your FIL's problems.

I'll say some prayers for him. God Bless.

I would 'think' that someone needs to tell the family WHY the Heparin was stopped. Unfortunately SCREWUPS do occur in Hospitals, especially when patients are moved (Left Hand doesn't know what the Right Hand is doing, etc.)

'AL Capshaw'

Oh my....you must be exhausted......
When I have been on heparin drips they do stop them periodically depending on the blood readings.
I'm hoping that you are getting some answers today, and I'm also hoping that your doggie will get the care he needs.

Thanks for the explanation and the kind words!! The doctor did say that, it's just hard to track them down in a small hospital. My FIL is in trouble but hanging in there. Dog is in trouble too but hanging in there. We'll do our best for them and it isn't over till it's over.
Thank you again and wishing you all well.
astrid

It is with sad heart to say that my FIL passed away a weeg ago. However, when he was brought to the hospital he was only given hours to live and not only did he live for 6 more days, the fever went down and he re-gained conciousness. He was always very athletic (was a horseman and ski jumber etc.) I think that's why he lasted as long as he did with very little health problems throughout his life. He was in his 93rd year (March 11) and lived in his house, walking daily his beloved dog up until the 6 days in the hospital. He was very blessed.

What happened was that he had a kindey stone (1 cm!) which created a blockage, created a urinary tract infection, became septic, went in kidney failure and set of a series of small infarctions. He was in A-fib (they had to stop the Heparin) but I was told that the had been in chronic A-fib for quite a while. He was on Lanoxin for that, his heart rate was always decent and his blood pressure awesome 110/70 always. Aside from the antibiotics they stopped all meds in the hospital. They had to go in (through the catheder) and try to move his kidney stone but the sedation was too much for him.

Years ago a nut of a doctor had put him (and other eledery patients) on Coumadin as a preventative!!! We didn't even know about it. Also the coumadin was poorly managed and we got a phone call from the hospital to come right away as my FIL was bleeding to death and there again, he was only given a small chance of survival. He pulled through and was fine afterwards. The doctor at the hospital was so mad at his doctor! He was never put back on Coumadin despite the A-fib he later developed and never had a stroke in all those last years. I say he had lucky genes.

One of the doctores mentioned that the elderly should have urinary tests every two weeks as they don't often know when they have a problem/infection. I will keep that in mind and thought I pass this on.

My FIL was so worried when my husband had his valve surgery. Can't believe that he won't be there at his 2 year echo (which always gets me nervous). We were lucky to have him that long and in good health.

I know this isn't quite the appropriate forum so thanks for letting me post.
Best wishes and good health to you all.
Astrid

Hi Astrid - I'm sorry for the loss of your husband's father; I sure love my father-in-law also and know how I would feel in your situation.

Thank you for your excellently informative posts in regard to this. In sympathy,

Astrid, I am so sorry about your FIL. It does sound like he had a very long and good life, but it is always difficult.

Deepset sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your dear FIL. He sounds like a sweet man with a healthy long life and loving family. We should all be so blessed.

God Bless him.

Latest posts

Back