HELP Prosthetic heart valve thrombosis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art

Yesterday after a routine echo I was told, there is a small clot on my valve (St. Jude)
My inr. was 2.7 so my doctor recommended I increase my warferin (previscan) by 15%
I have an appointment to attend my local Clinic next Monday
BUT IF I WAIT THAT LONG I WILL GIVE MYSELF A HEART ATTACK
HHHEEELLLPPP
Has any members faced this situation

Dr. Oz (Heart Surgeon and TV Medical Show Host) made an interesting comment recently about the best time to take various medications. He indicated that it is best to take Low Dose Aspirin just before going to bed.

You may want to call your Coumadin Clinic Provider TODAY, tell them about your Doctor's recommendation, and see what they say to do. They may want you to come in sooner or they may just concur which would give you 5 days on the new dose before doing another INR test on Monday (which seems like a good plan to me).

'AL Capshaw'

Dr. Oz (Heart Surgeon and TV Medical Show Host) made an interesting comment recently about the best time to take various medications. He indicated that it is best to take Low Dose Aspirin just before going to bed.

You may want to call your Coumadin Clinic Provider TODAY, tell them about your Doctor's recommendation, and see what they say to do. They may want you to come in sooner or they may just concur which would give you 5 days on the new dose before doing another INR test on Monday (which seems like a good plan to me).

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Al
they dont do "Coumadin Clinic Provider" in France
Monday morning I am having my INR tested in the local Lab. and then off to the Cardiology Clinic where I will meet my cardiologist and his team.

Yesterday after a routine echo I was told, there is a small clot on my valve (St. Jude)
My inr. was 2.7 so my doctor recommended I increase my warferin (previscan) by 15%
I have an appointment to attend my local Clinic next Monday
BUT IF I WAIT THAT LONG I WILL GIVE MYSELF A HEART ATTACK
HHHEEELLLPPP
Has any members faced this situation

Many years ago, 1974, my docs think I had a clot form on the valve and travel to my brain and it caused a stroke and permanent partial vision loss. This was due to my not taking warfarin for several days, while on vacation, and I assume my INR went down too close to normal(1.0).

I assume the doctor who did the echo is a cardiologist and knows the importance of dissolving the clot. I don't know the treatment for your situation, but I would follow up VERY CLOSLY with a medical professional.

We had another member, BryanB, who formed a clot earlier this year in his heart from a-fib, and it seems from his posts that he was only hospitalized until his INR got in "range" (I couldn't find where he said what that was), and then he was release home on coumadin. He did say they told him the clot would disolve in about 6 weeks. Hopefully this will be the case for you. However, I would not want to have to wait almost a full week to have that discussion with my Dr. Best of luck to you.

Kim

I have not faced this situation, but is definitely a fear of mine.. and I have to say I am one to forget my coumadin every now and then.. I would call your Cardiologist clinic today and request that they move your appointment up so you can talk to him about this! I'm pretty certain if I called my Cardiologist's nurse that she would try her hardest to get me in that day to discuss this or at least have him call me and give me his opinion on the situation.. It doesn't hurt to call and ask! Best of luck to you!

I agree a call to your Cardiologist's office is a good idea. It is too long to wait until next week when you know there is a clot.
Best Wishes and please let us know how you are doing.

Wow, Art! What excellent timing for interception, the echo happening to capture the thing. You have my best wishes also.
Please keep us posted.

I phoned my cardiologist last night and he reassured me that the correct treatment is to dissolve the clot as it is very small. My cardiologist is a very old and experience and I am sure he has treated this situation before.
The most frightening thing about my problem is my INR has never being below 2.4 or above 3.6 and it leaves me thinking I may have chosen the wrong valve.
For the first 6 months of this year I have suffered from Hematomas within my flexor muscle which resulted in one being reduced to limping around for weeks on end and it also forced me to change my vacation plans.
Now I am trying to cope with a time bomb in my valve.
Its good to rant and rave every now and again

I'm sorry to hear this. Did they give you any meds that help dissolve clots, or are they just letting it dissolve on its own?

I phoned my cardiologist last night and he reassured me that the correct treatment is to dissolve the clot as it is very small. My cardiologist is a very old and experience and I am sure he has treated this situation before.
The most frightening thing about my problem is my INR has never being below 2.4 or above 3.6 and it leaves me thinking I may have chosen the wrong valve.
For the first 6 months of this year I have suffered from Hematomas within my flexor muscle which resulted in one being reduced to limping around for weeks on end and it also forced me to change my vacation plans.
Now I am trying to cope with a time bomb in my valve.
Its good to rant and rave every now and again

What did he think about you taking a full dose aspirin daily until the clot dissolves?

I'm wondering if the clot might not be related to your hematoma and not be from the valve. You stated: "For the first 6 months of this year I have suffered from Hematomas within my flexor muscle which resulted in one being reduced to limping around for weeks on end and it also forced me to change my vacation plans." I read recently of a young lady (late teens or early 20's) that got hit on the leg in a soccer match and months later had a foot long clot that had to be removed from her leg.

I'm wondering if the clot might not be related to your hematoma and not be from the valve. You stated: "For the first 6 months of this year I have suffered from Hematomas within my flexor muscle which resulted in one being reduced to limping around for weeks on end and it also forced me to change my vacation plans." I read recently of a young lady (late teens or early 20's) that got hit on the leg in a soccer match and months later had a foot long clot that had to be removed from her leg.

I Think, but could be wrong, if you had a clot travel from your leg, it would go to the right side of your heart and lungs and not the Aortic valve.

Wondering what is being done to dissolve the clot? Upping your Warfarin dose by 15% will make your blood a little more slippery but I wonder if that is enough? As Dick and others have indicated, if the clot breaks loose and goes to your brain you're possibly in trouble.

Latest posts

Back