Help please !

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike59

Hi all

Went to see my cardiologist today after AVR two years ago had porcine tissue valve

Said everything was fine, but said he could hear a murmur / turbulence

This surprised me as I thought post surgery. There would be no murmur

Question has anyone else been told this?

And would it be caused by the structure of the valve itself and residual scar tissue ?

He then tried to reassure me by saying that it sounded exactly the same as 12months ago and that all was good

Would appreciate your help and comments if this is normal

Thanks

I saw my surgeon, my cardiologist, and my primary doctor all in the same week. The Primary Doc is the only one who said they heard a little murmur, so I called the cardio's office. The nurse there said that's common, and if it was anything to worry about that the cardio would have said something.

Many tissue valves if not all of them make a little noise that is easy to hear. Just as your original valve produced its own unique sound (heart murmur) for many years before there was any problem, it is normal for our tissue valves to make their own distinctive sounds. Also like our original valves, when the sound changes and other symptoms develop the valve needs to be watched more closely. So, no, tissue valves are not normally silent.

Larry

MOOO! My bovine tissue valve murmurs something every time my cardio listens to it. Problem is that we cannot tell what it is saying.

I, too, have been told by my trusted cardio that it is common (and expected) that tissue valves have a slight murmur. As long as it stays slight and stable, nothing to worry about.

MOOO! My bovine tissue valve murmurs something every time my cardio listens to it. Problem is that we cannot tell what it is saying.

I, too, have been told by my trusted cardio that it is common (and expected) that tissue valves have a slight murmur. As long as it stays slight and stable, nothing to worry about.

Mine oinks, being porcine:biggrin2:….actually I haven't had any doctor tell me they still hear a murmur but I have heard and read that a small or slight murmur is not unusual and not a cause for alarm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back