Help.....Need thoughts, ideas and suggestions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My S/O is going for a Colonoscopy next Wednesday and has a 2 day preparation.
Is there anything else I can serve this person (who is a meat and potatoes type of person) besides clear fluids, jello and clear broths. No milk products, so there won't be any consumption of Boost or Ensure.

Does anybody have any other thoughts or ideas for food/liquids that are good?
If I can't keep my S/O satisfied for 2 days, this will become one unhappy household.

Yep, I need everyone's help.

Thanks

Believe me Freddie.....he'll be thanking you for keeping him on a very bland diet before his appt as his drs orders specify. Broths, liquids are going to have to do. No fruits, veggies, power drinks, etc.

He'll be fine. Good luck! :)

Oh yea, forgot to mentioned........I can't make jello:( No joke.

I went through that last year. I survived on beef broth and Jello. Surely you can make Jello. Leave room for some ice cubes by shorting the water, then add the cubes and stick it in the refrigerator. In fairness, I will admit that my wife made it for me, but I think even I could do it.

Jello:
Put on the kettle and boil some water.
Pour the jello powder into a medium sized bowl. Add one cup of boiling water. STIR and let dissolve for a few minutes.
Add one cup Cold water. Stir well.
cover and put in fridge. YUMMO

Easier said than done Bina.
It's no joke - I can NOT make jello gang. It always comes out too watery.

Norma, any good broth suggestions?

Beef broth or chicken broth are both good. I prefer the low-sodium chicken broth myself if you can find it. There's also bouillion cubes that you can dissolve in hot water that are pretty good.

My doctor said no red or blue Jello or liquids. I guess it makes the intestinal lining turn colors that look like diseased colon. So stick to green or yellow

Banana popsicles were my best friend during my prep. I tried to drink the broths and eat the jello but I am not a big fan. I bought a big box of banana popsicles and they were wonderful.

Easier said than done Bina.
It's no joke - I can NOT make jello gang. It always comes out too watery.
Freddie, a gourmet cook like yourself can do this.
If it's too watery it's cuz of a water measuring error, or not enough time in the fridge, overnight is good.
For best taste use real Jello Brand, and last night I remembered that he can only have yellow or green before a colonoscopooopy. :)

Hi Freddie, just saw your request. I went through all this just two weeks ago, so my memories ought to be fairly fresh.

I remember two days before being not so tough: all soft food. Two of the tastiest permissible things I found were cream of wheat and instant mashed potatoes. They were fairly filling. I did Ensure also (maybe there are drinks of this sort that aren't dairy-based? I dunno).

The day before, it's only food you can see through -- in other words, liquid. And that is the toughest. I used Jello-O (but check the colors -- green was okay; some aren't); beef boullion, and not much else. Fruit iceys and popsicles are permitted, but I don't care for them. Being a diabetic, I was permitted ginger ale if my blood sugar fell. And there was a huge amount of prep to drink -- I used the cherry flavor.

Good luck to your hubby. My results were good -- which gives me peace of mind, and I hope his will be, too.

If he uses conscious sedation (for which, thank God!), he will need a designated driver. And he should not sign any legal documents the rest of the day. Perusing Sports Illustrated swimsuit editions is okay.
;)

Surprised it's 2 days

Surprised it's 2 days

When I had a colonoscopy in 2007, the doctor said I could have breakfast the day before, but from noon on it was only clear liquids (not red). The colonoscopy was the next morning at about 10:00. I found even that horrible. I can't imagine two days of that!!!

The protocol must have changed within the part few years. When I had one of these 6 years ago, it was basically one day's prep. I was surprised to find it is now 2 days, which I guess has become pretty standard. Still, I suppose that guarantees them a clearer inspection. Kind of yuckky but very very important to have this done.

Freddie, a gourmet cook like yourself can do this.
If it's too watery it's cuz of a water measuring error, or not enough time in the fridge, overnight is good.
For best taste use real Jello Brand, and last night I remembered that he can only have yellow or green before a colonoscopooopy. :)

Bina:
It doesn't matter what I do in regards of how I try to make Jello - it just turns out wrong. Maybe it's just to simple for me LOL

Hi Freddie, just saw your request. I went through all this just two weeks ago, so my memories ought to be fairly fresh.

I remember two days before being not so tough: all soft food. Two of the tastiest permissible things I found were cream of wheat and instant mashed potatoes. They were fairly filling. I did Ensure also (maybe there are drinks of this sort that aren't dairy-based? I dunno).

The day before, it's only food you can see through -- in other words, liquid. And that is the toughest. I used Jello-O (but check the colors -- green was okay; some aren't); beef boullion, and not much else. Fruit iceys and popsicles are permitted, but I don't care for them. Being a diabetic, I was permitted ginger ale if my blood sugar fell. And there was a huge amount of prep to drink -- I used the cherry flavor.

Good luck to your hubby. My results were good -- which gives me peace of mind, and I hope his will be, too.

If he uses conscious sedation (for which, thank God!), he will need a designated driver. And he should not sign any legal documents the rest of the day. Perusing Sports Illustrated swimsuit editions is okay.
;)

Sorry SB, no soft foods for 2 days, only clear liquids, so no cream of wheat or mashed potatoes and no dairy which I believe rules out Ensure and Boost.
As for the prep drink, not sure which, if any flavor he got and I'll be the designated driver, so no problem there - as for the swimsuit edition....we'll see if he'll be even able to keep his eyes open after everything is said and done.

Thanks for all the input gang.

My doc still does 1 day and my friend that lives 30 minutes away, her doc does 2 days of prep. I think it depends on the doctor.

Freddie, the prep is the worst of it. I am not a jello/broth eater either. I make it and throw it out. I just hate the prep.

Latest posts

Back