Help me with my third surgery questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraordinary

Hello,
I'm a 21 years old girl, I've been born with a heart disease, I've done two operations already and both of them when i was young real young one of them maybe at age ( 3 or 4 t ath the UK and this wasn't a very good surgery he other at age 10 i dunno exactly when at the USA ( cleveland clinic ) and that was a successful one ) and I may need the third surgery which is a valve replacement any time soon but I can't take this thought of my head I'm really scared, read about it on the net they say the risk could be a stroke, heart attack or even death but they say this is rare ! how much these operation is succesfull !
any one who done it at a young age ? like mine
and which valve to choose best ?
which clinic is the best at the USA ? ( doctor name if you can )
please help i know this is a lot of questions but I'm freaking out of the thought that I'll had my chest re-opened and to go throught it all again now that im older im wiser so im more afraid .. ( actually when i wasn't afraid at all when i had the last surgery i guess because i was too young to be afraid )

Here is my Diagnosis :
-CONGNTAL HEART DISEASE
-SUBAORTIC STENOSIS
-POST STATUS TWO CARIAC SURGERIES TO RELIEVE LEFT VENTRICULAR OUTFLOW TRACT
-SEVERE AORTIC REGURGITATION AND MILD AORTIC STENOSIS
-BORDERLINE LEFT VENTRICULAR FUNCTION ( IMPAIRED IN VIEW OF SEVERE AORTIC REGURITATION )
-VENTRICUALR ECTOPICS - SINGLE COUPLET AND TRIPPLET

I just had my 4th surgery a three months ago. I am doing great. I start back to work in a week. Do you know what valve you need surgery on? Even though I am an adult I had my last one at Boston Children's hospital. Cleveland clinic is also good. I see your location is Kuwait. Are you living there now? Are you planning on coming to the USA for surgery?

Debbie

Yes I'm from kuwait, but i've done the last surgery in the USA ( cleveland clinic ) as i mentioned before, and im going to do my third sugery in the USA as well, because you're country is the best at it ..
I've heard about boston clinic but never tried it or saw it , which one is the best ?
how old are you ( if you don't mind me asking ) and did the doctor told you about the risks about the operation what were ?
Here is my Diagnosis :
-CONGNTAL HEART DISEASE
-SUBAORTIC STENOSIS
-BORDERLINE LEFT VENTRICULAR FUNCTION ( IMPAIRED IN VIEW OF SEVERE AORTIC REGURITATION )

Hi My son is about your age, 22, he had his 5th OHS when he was 19. He goes to the Childrens Hospital of Philly (CHOP) for most of his heart surgeries.. He also had a surgery at 10, like you , but had his next one when he was 17.
IF you want to go to the US, the 2 hospitals usually ranked 1 and 2 for CHD are Boston Childrens and CHOP. Here is a good place to see the CHD center and alittle about each one, http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/pediatric-rankings/heart-and-heart-surgery

Also you might want to check out the forums at the adults w/ CHD org http://achaheart.org/ There are quite a few members in their 20s'-30 who've had several surgeries as children and adults.

hey thanks for the comment i will check this out, and please don't use the short forms :D i don't unederstand what CHD stands for ? english is not my main language :D

I am 44 years old. Dr. Mayer (surgeon) said that if the surgeon goes slowly and carefully opening up the sternum that the risk does not go up with a redo. I had my pulmonary valve replaced and my tricuspid valve repaired.

Debbie

I am 44 years old. Dr. Mayer (surgeon) said that if the surgeon goes slowly and carefully opening up the sternum that the risk does not go up with a redo. I had my pulmonary valve replaced and my tricuspid valve repaired.

Debbie
where have you done ur surgery ?

I just had my 4th surgery a three months ago. I am doing great. I start back to work in a week. Do you know what valve you need surgery on? Even though I am an adult I had my last one at Boston Children's hospital. Cleveland clinic is also good. I see your location is Kuwait. Are you living there now? Are you planning on coming to the USA for surgery?

Debbie

Yes I'm from kuwait, but i've done the last surgery in the USA ( cleveland clinic ) as i mentioned before, and im going to do my third sugery in the USA as well, because you're country is the best at it ..
I've heard about boston clinic but never tried it or saw it , which one is the best ?
how old are you ( if you don't mind me asking ) and did the doctor told you about the risks about the operation what were ?
Here is my Diagnosis :
-CONGNTAL HEART DISEASE
-SUBAORTIC STENOSIS

I had my 4th surgery at Boston children's hospital just 3 months ago at the age of 44. I had my first and second surgery at Emory university hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. My third surgery was in Birmingham, Alabama. They have not kept there program up as much as other hospitals. I decided to go to Boston because of their reputation.

Debbie

I had my 4th surgery at Boston children's hospital just 3 months ago at the age of 44. I had my first and second surgery at Emory university hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. My third surgery was in Birmingham, Alabama. They have not kept there program up as much as other hospitals. I decided to go to Boston because of their reputation.

Debbie

So far looks like the Boston clinic is the best, did you feel is the best while you where their ?
and thanks for all of the infos

For patients with Congenital Heart Disease (CHD), Boston Children's Hospital and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania (CHOP) are usually considered the Best, even for Adults who were born with CHD.

Be sure to ask the Surgeon(s) you interview about their experience with CHD and Re-Do's (repeat surgeries).
Experienced Surgeons know how to deal with the Scar Tissue from previous surgeries with good success rates (ask them for their morbidity and mortality statistics for similar surgeries).

You are wise to be searching for the Best Hospitals for your repeat surgery.

'AL Capshaw'

I thought the docs were fantastic. When are you talking about coming to the US? Boston can be very cold and snowy in the winter. Boston children's has the "Boston adult congenital heart" program. I see Dr. Valente for my cardio. Dr. Landzberg is also great. Other patients have liked the other docs also.

Debbie

You ask about hospitals in Boston for Valve Surgery and you are correct that Boston has two of the top heart centers in U.S.

Brigham & Womens Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital always rank among top ten. I had two heart surgeries at Mass General and had wonderful care there.

Hello,
I may need the third surgery which is a valve replacement any time soon but I can't take this thought of my head I'm really scared, read about it on the net they say the risk could be a stroke, heart attack or even death but they say this is rare ! how much these operation is succesfull !
any one who done it at a young age ? like mine
and which valve to choose best ?
which clinic is the best at the USA ? ( doctor name if you can )
please help i know this is a lot of questions but I'm freaking out of the thought that I'll had my chest re-opened and to go throught it all again now that im older im wiser so im more afraid .. ( actually when i wasn't afraid at all when i had the last surgery i guess because i was too young to be afraid )

Hi,
I can understand your fear and concern, but those risks are a part of all surgery, and don't mean you will not be able to do just fine; it may be very likely that it's more risky for you not to have surgery, which is something we all have to consider before any surgery.

Sorry, I only have one doctor's name I can offer to you, but the Cleveland Clinic would be an excellent place, or Massachusetts General, in Boston. In California, Stanford in northern California or in southern Cal, UCLA (University of Cal in Los Angeles) or USC (University of Southern California), Dr. Vaughn Starnes is the name I know there. Can your doctor in Kuwait suggest a doctor for you here in the US?

I wouldn't even be able to begin to suggest what kind of valve would be best for you. I think you need to have the surgeon help you with that decision. You're a bit different than the average person having a valve replacement, and it looks like you may have other cardiac issues that might need to be taken into consideration.

I'm sure you will find a good doctor and good care. Please feel free to ask anything here.
Take care!

For patients with Congenital Heart Disease (CHD), Boston Children's Hospital and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania (CHOP) are usually considered the Best, even for Adults who were born with CHD.

Be sure to ask the Surgeon(s) you interview about their experience with CHD and Re-Do's (repeat surgeries).
Experienced Surgeons know how to deal with the Scar Tissue from previous surgeries with good success rates (ask them for their morbidity and mortality statistics for similar surgeries).

You are wise to be searching for the Best Hospitals for your repeat surgery.

'AL Capshaw'
really thanks a lot for the comment, and I will make sure to ask your questions as they are very important to know

Hi,
I can understand your fear and concern, but those risks are a part of all surgery, and don't mean you will not be able to do just fine; it may be very likely that it's more risky for you not to have surgery, which is something we all have to consider before any surgery.

Sorry, I only have one doctor's name I can offer to you, but the Cleveland Clinic would be an excellent place, or Massachusetts General, in Boston. In California, Stanford in northern California or in southern Cal, UCLA (University of Cal in Los Angeles) or USC (University of Southern California), Dr. Vaughn Starnes is the name I know there. Can your doctor in Kuwait suggest a doctor for you here in the US?

I wouldn't even be able to begin to suggest what kind of valve would be best for you. I think you need to have the surgeon help you with that decision. You're a bit different than the average person having a valve replacement, and it looks like you may have other cardiac issues that might need to be taken into consideration.

I'm sure you will find a good doctor and good care. Please feel free to ask anything here.
Take care!

yeah i can't imagine what It will feel like before the surgery in a moments, but sure It doesn't mean i will not do it, i know it's more risky to not do it ..
yeah the doctors gonna suggest for me i guess so, and already one doctor here told me about the Boston clinic ..
what's the doctor name that you wanted to suggest ? and in which clinic ?
thanks a lot for the comment ..

yeah i can't imagine what It will feel like before the surgery in a moments, but sure It doesn't mean i will not do it, i know it's more risky to not do it ..
yeah the doctors gonna suggest for me i guess so, and already one doctor here told me about the Boston clinic ..
what's the doctor name that you wanted to suggest ? and in which clinic ?
thanks a lot for the comment ..

Luana suggested UCLA medical center. Like you I had a complex congenital heart defect issue (several heart defects) involving my valves. I had my first surgery done at UCLA medical center. My surgeon was Dr. Laks, and it's my impression that he's one of the best surgeons if you'd want to look into him. Good luck!

I thought the docs were fantastic. When are you talking about coming to the US? Boston can be very cold and snowy in the winter. Boston children's has the "Boston adult congenital heart" program. I see Dr. Valente for my cardio. Dr. Landzberg is also great. Other patients have liked the other docs also.

Debbie

Well actually I don't know when yet, I've had all the test here in kuwait ( like sonar, exercise test, echo all of these ) and i should go back to the doctor to see the result and he is going to tell me after that if i need a surgery now or if i can wait ( waiting is always a good thing for a young girl like me and with science development everyday ) but I'll post if i will do my surgery anytime soon, so you can tell me about the weather ;) :p

You ask about hospitals in Boston for Valve Surgery and you are correct that Boston has two of the top heart centers in U.S.

Brigham & Womens Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital always rank among top ten. I had two heart surgeries at Mass General and had wonderful care there.

well, i dunno the mass general but gonna do my researches thanks for the reply

Latest posts

Back