Help and advice wanted about post surgery aches

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe in the power of Omega-3 and fish oil, but I am going to drag this back to exercise for a little bit. I, too, have pain, but it is because I am pushing myself harder each session. Typically, my legs hurt more than anything else because the machines concentrated on the legs. I just finished rehab so I will see how it goes over the next couple of months.

I do take simvastatin and I have been wondering if some of my leg pains are caused by it, but I am not going to change yet. It is better than my old drug which started to mess with my head. I refuse to take anything that messes with my head.

But, I have noticed that as I upped my effort and then stay there for a week or so, I was not as sore. You did not say how much you (or I missed it) exercised before rehab. I did squat for many years because I did not know what was wrong with me.

Good question. I'd like to know myself.

I am not an expert on vitamens, but like the Omega 3 ( and most vitamns ) that Andrew lessmans sells on HSN there are a couple choices but here is one. http://health-fitness.hsn.com/andre....aspx?webp_id=5907005&web_id=5907005&ocm=sekw
(its a shame this didn't come up a week or so ago it was on sale) I might be easy to fool, but I trust his products and also like the fact his factory is all run by solar panels . BUt I really like that his Omega does not taste bad at all. When I was growing up the one thing my mom MADE us take every morning in the winter were cod liver oil capsules and I HATED them, I could taste them thru out the day. I have reflux and haven't had a problem with Andrew lessmans

Exercise Pain

Exercise Pain

It's interesting that a major topic of response to your issue with exercise induced pain has focused on your use of statins.

You've really given no details concerning your physical condition when you entered the rehab program. Were you in pretty good shape when you entered rehab or were you in poor physical condition? Some of the folks who were in my rehab program were in very poor condition and they struggled with rehab; some actually just quit coming. Would it be accurate to assume that you were not engaged in a rigorous physical activity program before entering rehab at 10 weeks post-op?

One of the realities associated with regular exercise, especially if you are really pushing yourself, is that your muscles are going to get sore. I experienced soreness when exercising or pursuing rigorous physical activity long before I had AVR surgery and began taking statins. I really have noticed little difference in the soreness I experience now. It seems like something of a jump to assume that statins are the culprit here. You might simply be getting sore from the exercise you're doing. Of course, it might be worthwhile to visit with your cardiologist and get a diagnosis from a professional.

Say you go off the statin medication and continue working the rehab program really hard. You notice in a month or two that your muscles are not nearly as sore as they were when you quit the statins. Would the reduction in soreness be a result of quitting statins or simply the result of your muscles getting into better shape?

I focus primarily on cycling for exercise so my legs get pretty sore when I'm working hard. Massage and time in our hot tub help with the soreness. I've never been much of a believer in over-the-counter pain meds so I avoid that stuff.

If you can lower your cholesterol through diet rather than through drug use, that would not be a bad thing. Living healthy means making good choices in diet and physical activity.

-Philip

It's interesting that a major topic of response to your issue with exercise induced pain has focused on your use of statins.

You've really given no details concerning your physical condition when you entered the rehab program. Were you in pretty good shape when you entered rehab or were you in poor physical condition? Some of the folks who were in my rehab program were in very poor condition and they struggled with rehab; some actually just quit coming. Would it be accurate to assume that you were not engaged in a rigorous physical activity program before entering rehab at 10 weeks post-op?

One of the realities associated with regular exercise, especially if you are really pushing yourself, is that your muscles are going to get sore. I experienced soreness when exercising or pursuing rigorous physical activity long before I had AVR surgery and began taking statins. I really have noticed little difference in the soreness I experience now. It seems like something of a jump to assume that statins are the culprit here. You might simply be getting sore from the exercise you're doing. Of course, it might be worthwhile to visit with your cardiologist and get a diagnosis from a professional.

Say you go off the statin medication and continue working the rehab program really hard. You notice in a month or two that your muscles are not nearly as sore as they were when you quit the statins. Would the reduction in soreness be a result of quitting statins or simply the result of your muscles getting into better shape?

I focus primarily on cycling for exercise so my legs get pretty sore when I'm working hard. Massage and time in our hot tub help with the soreness. I've never been much of a believer in over-the-counter pain meds so I avoid that stuff.

If you can lower your cholesterol through diet rather than through drug use, that would not be a bad thing. Living healthy means making good choices in diet and physical activity.

-Philip

I think why many of us talked about the statins and pain was they said "I have joined a cardiac rehab class and can do the exercises easily but my muscles ache all of the time. I get this with or without exercises especially in the back, legs, feet and hands"
Mucsle pain in hands and feet, sounds like something a little different than being a little out of shape or increasing your excersing. especially since the pain is there with or with out excercising. and one of the big problems people complain about when taking different statins and in some cases the reason they stop them is the muscle pain. even if they aren't recoverring fro surgery or starting a new excercise program ect.

Before my illness I exercised for about 30 minutes each day, push ups, sit ups etc combined with aerobic exercise. I am now doing all of them again but the push ups are so difficult now and I can only do about 15, 3 a week ago, but I have a much longer and varied aerobic programme from my cardiac rehab classes and try to get my heart rate in the range 100 to 120. I don't get much pain when exercising and this generally goes off once I am warmed up. The most pain is when I have been sitting or laying down for a few minutes and this is mainly in the back. My hands and feet do ache quite a lot tho' most of the time. I am taking 1000 i.u. of fish oil and 1000 i.u. of cod liver oil. my medication is Atorvastatin 20mg, warfarin 6mg, iron tablets for anaemia before the op, now improving, and Omeprazole 20mg.
I also must add that before my op I could only walk about 5 steps and had to have a wheelchair and a chair lift for getting upstairs so I am very very grateful for the levels of fitness that I have now achieved. I thank Mr Guvendik, my surgeon at Castle Hill, every day for the life he has given me and the British National Health for it's free service.

Aches & Pains

Aches & Pains

Based upon your brief comments about your physical condition and your limitations prior to surgery, it sounds like your work with the rehab program is exactly what you need.

I notice little soreness when I get warmed up while exercising. The muscle aches and pains usually appear after my workouts are over. Unfortunately, I've had enough injury stuff over the years that some of my aches and pains are simply the result of age.

We often think of cycling as an activity that works the legs. It does more...I feel it in my back, arms, frontal torso, shoulders, legs (upper and lower), as well as my feet and hands. Keep in mind that your feet and hands are contact points. My left hand gets sore on long rides (it has to do with my grip on the handlebars). Right now, my left elbow aches from riding earlier this week.

When you change your lifestyle from limited activity to engaging in a regular exercise program you are going to experience some aches and soreness. You are engaged in activity your body is not used to.

If the statin issue which has been suggested here concerns you, discussing it with your cardio doctor would be an appropriate course.

Keep working; it's not easy to change your lifestyle. It does take some time.

-Philip

Have you had blood tests to check for rhabdomyolosis? Statins are notorious for causing muscle damage, especially if you are not concurrently supplementing diet with CO Q10. I would strongly suggest getting off of the statin, as muscle pain and damage is far worse than lipid levels, considering that your heart is a muscle too. Has your anemia been confirmed to be iron related, or are Docs just guessing? That is not the only form of anemia that exists and you may need greater expertise applied to that question, by a hematologist. Good luck and keep us posted!

aches

aches

Have you had blood tests to check for rhabdomyolosis? Statins are notorious for causing muscle damage, especially if you are not concurrently supplementing diet with CO Q10. I would strongly suggest getting off of the statin, as muscle pain and damage is far worse than lipid levels, considering that your heart is a muscle too. Has your anemia been confirmed to be iron related, or are Docs just guessing? That is not the only form of anemia that exists and you may need greater expertise applied to that question, by a hematologist. Good luck and keep us posted!

My anaemia is now very much improved as is my cholesterol (3.7). My INR is stable at 2.6. I still ache after a few minutes of no movement. During exercise it is fine. It is a little improved on a week ago so maybe time is needed to make thing better. Thanks for the replies.

i am on 40mg simvastin for approx 3 1/2 months now, also like you i was exercising right up to surgery weights 3-5 times per week and 45 mins on a cross trainer daily and swimming when i could fit it in , i have now completed 12 week cardio rehab and also back doing light weights again as well as back on cross trainer and the aerobics dvd papworth gave me , i get aches in backs of my legs but i think this is more to do with getting back into shape, but i will be chatting with my gp in two weeks time about the statins

I'm no stranger to exercise but haven't (for various reasons) been able to get back to a regular routine seven weeks out from surgery. This weekend I went to Las Vegas and was SHOCKED to discover that walking was kind of a problem! I mean, wow. My thighs hurt, my calves hurt...I even splurged and spent premium $ on a pair of more comfortable shoes--but realized later, like, duh. It wasn't my feet that hurt. I've been on statins for about 20 years and have never have had a muscle ache problem, so I'm not attributing it to that (although my cardio recently switched my meds). Still...when i thought about it...a WEEK in the hospital...another week spent in and out of bed...I went back to work during the late third week, but if you think about it, it's no wonder I'm out of shape. I need to build back some muscle tone!

Randy

I've taken Omega 3 for about 6 years and I seem to bounce around one brand to another. Do any of you have a preferred brand for a substantial reason? Is one brand reputed to be better than another?
Thanks.

I watch Andrew Lessman when he is on HSN. I use his because the caps are smaller, but there are many ways his product is advertised as being better. Check it out at HSN.com .

It does cost more than Costco, but his discussion of Omega 3 is helpful. :)

Update

Update

My doctor reduced my Atorvastatin to 10mg from 20mg and I don't have many aches any more. I still have slight aches but can move about freely and don't feel nearly so tired. I have to have another cholesterol check in July but as I don't eat anything to raise my cholesterol I expect it to be O.K.

Thanks for all of your responses and I hope that the thread is useful to others.

I've taken Omega 3 for about 6 years and I seem to bounce around one brand to another. Do any of you have a preferred brand for a substantial reason? Is one brand reputed to be better than another?
Thanks.

Andrew Lessman sells a good one on HSN.com. Small capsule, pricey, but no fishy taste or heavy metals.

Latest posts

Back