Heart rate monitors...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zztimeout

I am having ascending aorta replaced with valve sparing done on 19th May... They tell me that I need to monitor my heart rate after my op.. I have a business that sells a lot of products including heart rate monitors (this is not a plug)... I can get the Polar monitors but thought the strap around chest might be hard to wear after the Op... What do people use... You can see the ones I sell at http://www.timeoutmassage.com.au/ze...55_174&zenid=b6f5ac9df20628088a94f13e81e0a702

Thanks
Dave

I have a Polar F11 monitor which I bought 5 or 6 months after my surgery. At the beginning the bottom of the scar was still a bit tender so I put a folded Kleenex under the plastic part that presses against the scar. That worked. I no longer need the Kleenex and haven't for a long time.

On the monitor strap that I have, the necessary contact points (2) are a few inches apart so they would not need to press on the scar. The soft tissue sounds good as a cushion, and wouldn't interfere. My HR watch also can be used by itself by pressing on the rim around the face. I just use the watch part if I don't need a constant readout.

Consumer Reports link: (You can't see much unless you are a subscriber.)
http://www.consumerreports.org/heal...ipment/heart-rate-monitors/overview/index.htm

Since you can probably get a good deal on them, I probably would get one that doesn't need a chest band for the first couple weeks, then use a chest one when your incision heals a little more. Especially sice in the beginning you probably won't be doing much more than walking a couple times a day. Did your doctors recomend getting one? If so did they make any suggestions? We never had one for any of Justin's surgeries, so can't recomend what worked best for him.

I've posted my experience with my THREE monitors, all cheap Chinese stuff, <=$20 in local stores or postpaid from Hong Kong. My imitation Polar -- chest-strap monitor with two contact plus wrist-watch readout -- is wonderful. I had no problems with the incision(s), but I was suffering from extreme itchiness and skin irritation, and the chest band definitely added to that. But the strap thing gave me almost 100% real-time reliable readouts, esp. for some of my first outdoor walks and esp. esp. for my two post-op Whistler ski trips! Occasionally the readout goes "irrational" -- either because the pads lose contact with my chest skin, or because the watch loses the wireless signal -- but fortunately it's easy to spot when that's happened, so it's not misleading. (It usually reads ~235 BPM when it goes nuts, which I've never fallen for, AND the flashing heart icon that shows individual heartbeats is always absent, which is a tip-off.)

I was shmearing skin creams all over my chest to soothe my skin -- but most of them seem to be electrical insulators, which interfere with the chest-strap's contacts, as well as clinical ECG contacts. (I was well shmeared when I went to my first Cardio Rehab session, for a stress test, and the technician was giving up on ever getting readings from her Holter-like monitor, until we got some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs, and I scrubbed off the skin cream -- THEN everything finally worked!)

My other two monitors are: (1) a (cheap Chinese) wrist-strap BP-and-HR monitor which has been working very well for ~4 months post-op, except for ~1 day of error messages quite a while back, when it wouldn't reach a full pump-up. And (2) a <$10 wrist-watch-only on-demand HR (and calorie-burn) monitor. It took me a while to get it to give me a good reading at all(from pressing my finger-tip on the Infra-Red sensor button), and it still fails, esp. when my hands are cold. It's a nice-looking fully functional sport watch, and I wore it every day until about a week ago, when I returned to my fave SS Citizen Navisail watch. It turns out I can measure my HR on-demand pretty easily with a simple watch and a few fingers on my pulse for 10 or 12 seconds, so this monitor didn't really add much. (I've never used the calorie and "stress" meter, though it's quite sophisticated -- especially at the price!)

My main regret is that I bought all 3 of these gizmos POST-op, and I wish I'd done some serious monitoring PRE-op, both before I developed symptoms and afterwards. I'm now moving back toward normal, but I've never documented exactly what that is, so I'm guessing, and I wish I knew.

I just bought a Timex Ironman Road Trainer, and used it today for the first time. It works quite well, and the chest strap didn't bother my incision at all. I am 7 weeks post operation, so I'm not sure how this would have felt the first few weeks.

Latest posts

Back