Heart Rate During Exercise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BB are old school BP meds. They do keep your HR low. Exercize will not wear out your valve prematurely!

I have a pacemaker and use a Mio HR monitor. It seems to work fine and usually has accurate readings on the watch part. If I'm on a machine (treadmill usually) the readings can be off.

I have had different HR issues too since surgery, but am gradually finding it is coming back to normal. My exercise tolerance is still nowhere near pre-op, but I think I see gradual improvement.

My cardio has never cautioned me to restrict exercise. On the contrary, he supports my exercise regimen. From what I've read and been told, the modern valves are not affected by how fast we run them. The increase in heart rate during exercise has no effect on the lifespan of the valve, and the general effect of the exercise usually is felt to extend the lifespan of the patient. These valves are designed to withstand many more cycles than we will need in our lives. Don't worry - be happy - exercise and be well!

These valves are designed to withstand many more cycles than we will need in our lives. Don't worry - be happy - exercise and be well!

Around the 20th anniversary of my St Jude's valve, I did some quick calculations and found that mine had already done about 1 Billion ticks.

I have started a beta blocker for my heart rate, revisit in 3 months with the electrophysiologist. The holter captured a brief run of atrial tach, while I was at work, sitting at my desk, working :p . I did not feel it though my heart rate went to 169. Tomorrow is work out day, it will be interesting to see how my heart rate is effected.

Thanks to all for your replies and input, I appreciate it. :)

You would not believe how much better my heart rate is in just a little over a week on the beta blocker. I actually feel a lot better all over. My resting heart rate is back to 60.

I ran today, 4 miles in 37:58, (9:29 min miles) at the track. Cool temp (55 degrees), no wind, so I pushed myself to see how my heart would react. Avg heart rate was 154, high of 177. It takes a couple of weeks to have the full benefit of the medication so I am sure I will see improvement over time. I felt strong, I really needed that re-assurance too.

I am going for a second opinion, seeing a doctor who came from Cleveland Clinic, it's like a mini Cleveland Clinic here in Austin. I think this is the best place for me to be, I am confident I will get the best care possible going forward.

TX Arrythmia Institute

Last edited:
good news....you are now my perfect example of how BB are good for some people who need them for specific reasons. Although I didn't like them, I really didn't need them (for BP meds), but they are very helpful for the right reasons!

You would not believe how much better my heart rate is in just a little over a week on the beta blocker. I actually feel a lot better all over. My resting heart rate is back to 60.

I ran today, 4 miles in 37:58, (9.40 min miles) at the track. Cool temp (55 degrees), no wind, so I pushed myself to see how my heart would react. Avg heart rate was 154, high of 177. It takes a couple of weeks to have the full benefit of the medication so I am sure I will see improvement over time. I felt strong, I really needed that re-assurance too.

I am going for a second opinion, seeing a doctor who came from Cleveland Clinic, it's like a mini Cleveland Clinic here in Austin. I think this is the best place for me to be, I am confident I will get the best care possible going forward.

TX Arrythmia Institute

It's good to hear that the BB is working for you. Which one and what dose are you taking?

My second opinion went really well, I will be staying with this EP. :thumbup: He said BBs are different, some don't give you enough leeway with dosing. Atenolol is good but only lasts about 16 hours. The 25 and 50 dosing options are ok, but if you don't need 50, you don't have as much flexibility with adjustments.

He changed my beta blocker to Bisoprolol, better 24 hour coverage, start at 2.5 in the morning and if not enough, increase to 5 mg.

My second opinion went really well, I will be staying with this EP. :thumbup: He said BBs are different, some don't give you enough leeway with dosing. Atenolol is good but only lasts about 16 hours. The 25 and 50 dosing options are ok, but if you don't need 50, you don't have as much flexibility with adjustments.

He changed my beta blocker to Bisoprolol, better 24 hour coverage, start at 2.5 in the morning and if not enough, increase to 5 mg.

That sounds like a great plan...Good Luck, keep us posted :)

HR monitors give funky readings when you're not sweating good. I live in South Florida and mine always works good in the summer. When it is a little colder and especially when it's windy, I don't get good readings until I warm up.

I'm 5 years out from my AVR. A little over 3 years after surgery, I was injured and in a wheel chair for 8 weeks. I've got a bunch of screws and plates in my pelvis that prevent me from running, but I can ride my bike. I average about 5,000 miles a year and about 16 mph, although sometimes I'm riding over 20 mph.

My HR is amazing. It's in the low 50's when I wake up. Sometimes it gets up to the 150 range when I'm riding really hard, but I back off. Usually, it is in the 120's when I'm exercising.

I've wondered about wearing the thing out or, since kids' replacement valves don't seem to last as long, whether it will calcify quicker, but I can't find any info on it. So I plan on just keeping on keeping on as long as I can.

Back