Heard from Dr. Duncan at Texas Heart Institute

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Hi all, well Dr. Duncan called me this afternoon, and confirmed that i need surgery. My surgeon here said he wanted to wait 6 months..but i couldnt go with that, and Dr. Duncan agreed. He also told me from looking at all my test results, that my valve looked fine. He said my aortic root was dilated. I couldnt really talk to him long, so couldnt ask alot of questions when he called, but can anyone tell me what procedure they usually do for this situation? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Im just trying to get all my ducks in a row, because i think it will likely happen in a month or so. Thanks again. Danny

Danny:

Where do you want to have the surgery, in Houma or in Houston at Texas Heart Institute?

Whichever, you need to start the ball by checking out your insurance (no one likes to get $udden $urpri$e$), the scheduling person with the selected surgeon and then go from there. If you've already had a TEE and heart cath, you're ahead.

The surgeon's scheduler should be able to give you a time frame. And we can help you out here, too.

Yes, I believe Houston is a fine choice. I had my AVR at St Lukes. Dr. David Ott was my surgeon. He's not much on bedside personality, but he is one of the very best!

Good luck Danny. Keep us updated please You are going to do great!

Hi Danny,
Sorry I can't answer your question about the procedure for the root dilatation, but wanted to wish you good luck with everything! I am sure others will chime who have had this procedure.

Make sure you let us know when you get your date.
Thinking of you!

Hi all, well Dr. Duncan called me this afternoon, and confirmed that i need surgery. My surgeon here said he wanted to wait 6 months..but i couldnt go with that, and Dr. Duncan agreed. He also told me from looking at all my test results, that my valve looked fine. He said my aortic root was dilated. I couldnt really talk to him long, so couldnt ask alot of questions when he called, but can anyone tell me what procedure they usually do for this situation? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Im just trying to get all my ducks in a row, because i think it will likely happen in a month or so. Thanks again. Danny

Are you talking about a valve sparing procedure? If you search for "David procedure" or "valve sparing" here you should find a few posts from members that had them.

Danny, I can't help you with the procedure but think sooner rather than later has to be better, and think you are right about the experience level at THI to be far surperior to that at a local hopsital in Houma. You had better check your insurance though as that and your financial situation might have to be part of the decision. Best of luck!

Rhena

It's not clear to me from your Question
if you are asking about what Heart Procedure
or what Opening Procedure.

With regard to the opening, I'll bet a nickel that he will want to do a Full Sternotomy so that he will have full access to your Aorta. Give the man room to work!

Hi Danny, Just read my Heart History U may get some information. Good luck

srinivas Heart History:
13/6/2008 2D Echo Diagnosed Ascending Aortic Dissection ,Bicuspid aortic valve, Moderate AR at the age of 38(2008)
9/6/08 CT scan shows Aneurysmal dilation of aortic root and ascending aorta with dissection extending upto brachio cephalic trunk and mild aneurysm
16/07/08 Operative findings & repair. Aortic aneurysm approx size 10 cms diameter.Aneurysm extd upto 1c m from innomiate artery. Mod. Bental DC Bono surgery procedure done to repair my anueuysm with#25 mm St.Jude medical valved conduit(SN 84094003.REF25CAVGJ-51400 AOROTIC VALVED GRAFT) At CARE Hospital Bangara Hills,Hyderabad,India. Surgeon: Dr K.s. Neelakandan gave me re birth! Dr . Sridar,Dr.Amreesh, Dr.Jagannatham completed the formalities.

Latest posts

Back