Having surgery soon!!! **HELP**

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tony,
What did Dr Miller say his approach for the minimally invasive surgery would be? It could be either a shorter sternotomy, or, what I had, port access, also called mimithoracotomy, a 3-inch incision on the right side of the chest about 4 inches down from the collarbone.

When you're in ICU you will be alone in the room. That's where you'll wake up after surgery. Depending on how you progress, you may be there a day or two, or longer. I spent a total of 6 days in ICU, but I did hit a few speed bumps.

It's a good idea to have a robe, but don't worry if you don't. You can always put on an additional hospital gown with the opening in the front to sub as a robe.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Luana

Tony,
Welcome!!
I had a minimally invasive AVR (St. Jude) on 12/29/09, so I'm less than 3 months out now. I have about a 5" vertical scar and a smaller one (1.5") toward the bottom (drainage). I had pain for about 3-4 weeks. Couldn't sleep on my side for 5-6 weeks. A recliner will be good for you. Walk as soon and as much as you can. Use the spirometer (breathing contraption) they give you to breathe..... Do it a lot. Try to cough up as much as you can. It's painful, but you should do it. I walk about 12 miles a week at a very good clip and feel better than I have in years. You're young and should bounce back faster than I did. I'm 46.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck to you.

Kurt

he gonna cut it vertically for about 4-6 inches sternotomy.

Luana: actually, dr miller dont suggest your way, cos it would be more painful, and i might last forever.
btw, what valve did u use?

he gonna cut it vertically for about 4-6 inches sternotomy.

Luana: actually, dr miller dont suggest your way, cos it would be more painful, and i might last forever.
btw, what valve did u use?

I have a mechanical St. Jude Regent valve. Surgeon's first choice was an On-X, but for some reason it didn't work out.

So you're having a mini-sternotomy. Not sure why he thinks what I had is more painful? I had very little post-surgery pain. Maybe he's just not experienced in doing it. I am totally sold on what I had; of course, I don't have a full sternotomy to compare it to.

Wishing you all the best!
Luana

1) Is it less painful of having minimally invasive surgery than the traditional method?
I had a right thorocotomy, under the right breast, horizontal incision between the ribs. More painful at first but less in the long run due to no cutting of the sternum.

2) How soon can i walk on the street after surgery?
We're all different but most of us can go out for short walks within a week of getting home.

3) Do i need a recliner for sleeping at home after discharge from hospital?
No but it's nice. If you can't get a recliner even a simple wedge pillow (from Bed bath & beyond or whatever store you have) can be a real godsend. Somehow sleeping entirely FLAT just isn't comfortable.

4) Do I need to rent a place next to the hospital for a week after discharge? cos my home is an hour away from it.
I wouldn't think the drive would be a problem. In DC traffic it took me 45 mins to get home and they were some of the happiest of my life, happy to be alive, out of the hospital and on my way to mending! :)

I wish you all the best in your surgery and recovery!

Ruth

Tony:

That was fast! Miller gave me 3-6 months before I had my surgery. I was not offered the "minimal" option, but I believe that is because I had to have aortic arch replacement, and although that has been done with a minimal incision approach, the results are not as good. I'm kind of glad you chose Miller. He will do the right thing.

The minimal approach allows faster recovery and shorter hospialization but pain may not be any different. Note that I had ZERO pain and discomfort after my sternal procedure. A recliner is nice to have just for relaxing at home, but I was able to get in and out of bed and sleep without pain immediately. Perhaps that is unusual.

I'm sure Miller cleared up whether you need to stay near the hospital for a week post-discharge. Usually this not required, but in more complicated cases, it is. His staff usually schedules a 6 week post-op appointment if you live nearby, but that is not consistent. Even though I live only 40 miles away, I had to request this post-op check.

Looking forward to hearing how your surgery went.

I am a little bit confused on whether surgery is still in the future for you, or you've already had it by now. I had AVR with sternotomy, and followed all directions given for not stressing it while healing. I think the reason many people like or use recliners is that the process of becoming horizontal in a bed (with sternotomy anyway) really requires that you support the midline of chest with the little pillow they will give you post-op, and do the tuck and roll thing to get from edge of bed to center of it. My pain level was not bad at all, and by the time I was released from hospital, did not need to take any pain meds at home.

I was stood up and walked a few steps after extubation (removal from ventilator), and walking the halls the next day. My surgery was quite long and complex; apparently some complications occurred during the surgery itself and I thank God I had the wonderful surgeon I did, who was able to fix me up, but the surgery took a full 8 hours. For that reason, they kept me vented and sedated that night after the surgery, and did not extubate me until next day. I have read of others here on the forum who had much less difficulty immediately post op. However, the walking in the hospital was not all that difficult other than the puffy feet and legs I had at the time, and what felt like a sprained ankle. I hope that helps, and if you are already done with the surgery, please let us know how you're getting along!

Last edited:
I had a sternotomy, not minimal, but, I was 'walking the streets' at home just 8 days after my 3rd OHS. I didn't need a recliner, nor a robe in the hospital. I used a gown worn backwards. However, if you're tall, you may want to bring something that covers your backside when you are up and walking in the hospital. I saw a man in a one size gown, and it was very short on him, poor guy! I also live about 45 min from home and my husband just drove me home, no problem there. I've only heard you could ask for a single room, but I'm not sure if your insurance would pay for it. Roomates aren't too bad. Mine got the window bed, I was envious. But, if you're by the door, you get up and walk more,cause there's nothing else to see! I did purchase a heart hugger which really helped me when moving up or down.
Don't know if you need one for mini invasive. Dr Miller is an artist in the stitching dept. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back