Has tissue valve replacement become the new "preferred" for 40-50-60year olds?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in all fairness its not just a little pill is it, and for sum of us who CHOOSE to go through 2 surgeries thats our choice, cant we for one day just look at the positives from both choices? and there both have them,instead of just pointing out all the negatives all the time? right am of to try sum white chocolate

Topless -

Perhaps the reason that the On-X Valve is "bulkier" than other mechanical valves is that is is the ONLY valve that has a built in Barrier to prevent / retard Pannus Tissue Growth from interfering with the movement of the Valve Leaflets. FYI, Pannus Tissue Growth is the leading reason that mechanical valves are replaced. (I'm thinking it is a low percentage problem, definitely below 10% and probably only a few percent). Do you want to take that risk?

BTW, Pannus Tissue Growth can also impact Tissue Valves.

----------------
'AL C'

Excellent reminder, Al. I remember reading that. It is also the only valve with a 90degree "flapper", I think. I would think the hemodynamic flow would be better for that reason, too.

in all fairness its not just a little pill is it, and for sum of us who CHOOSE to go through 2 surgeries thats our choice, cant we for one day just look at the positives from both choices? and there both have them,instead of just pointing out all the negatives all the time? right am of to try sum white chocolate

4f3ba4f3-55d0-44b7-9114-325a3f928bb.jpg

Just a note; there were a number of references to warfarin reducing the number of strokes as you age. This misses the point a little. In studies, it was found that as you age, warfarin reduces the number of ischemic strokes (caused by clots), but also increases the likelihood of hemorrhagic strokes (caused by bleeding [aneurystic]). This is a significant enough effect that mechanical valves (because of the Coumadin) are slightly less safe than tissue valves for patients past retirement age.

However, over the long haul with patients in their fifties, the risks of Coumadin/mechanical and reoperation/tissue seem to balance out equally. In the young, the risk of reops over a lifetime with tissue valves slightly outweighs the risks of clotting/bleeding with Coumadin and mechanical valves. At least, in the most current studies.

But the risks of Coumadin are improving with self-testing, and the risks of reoperation have been declining as well. In twenty years, we'll have the data to know which (if either) was a better choice right now. But it won't be "right now" then, will it?

Heck, if it weren't a crapshoot when all is said and done, what would we have to talk about?

Best wishes,

Well here we sit debating tissue vs mechanical...reality? No one knows . In medical years, we who are 55 and lower in age are the test group for what works for how long. As a proud owner of a 5 year out failed porcine valve staring down the barrel of another freaking surgery--I have been told a couple times now that-no one knows why the valve blew a leaflet. Here is the reality: Pick what works for your lifestyle. Don't worry once it's in. Do what you need to do to stay healthy. Live your life because 25 years ago you might have been dead if faced with this issue. Maybe I should have picked the bovine,maybe I should have picked the mechanical--maybe I shouldn't have gone back to triathlons and running and cycling(yawn)....You know what? I have been made better off and a better person meeting all you fellow valvers and running in all those Marathons with other cardiac athletes. It's all good cause it's all mine. AND I like dark chocolate best followed closely be white .

My surgeon said to me: "You're 49, mechanical is the way to go, no question". That's what I chose. Then ,the night before the surgery, the chief of surgery came to my room to talk to me. He told me that within 5 to 10 years, valve replacements will be done via a catheter procedure. The hospital already does it but only in high risk patients who most liikely will not survive a OHS. The valve goes up your artery closed like an umbrella...

Then I got to thinking.. why not a organic valve now, knowing that 10 years from now, a new valve replacement will be a walk in the park ?
Too late for me.

Choices

Choices

Either way your choice goes, it's a good thing if it prolongs your life.

No Al, I haven't been using any kind of a pill box for my "little" pills. We've got a couple stored in the kitchen from when my elderly father-in-law lived with us. I'm kinda reluctance to do the pill box thing because the memories of trying to keep him medicated as he spiraled downhill out of control with memory loss issues. It was really a traumatic situation. Yeah, this probably makes little sense, but the idea just really bothers me.

-Philip

Understand about using your F.I.L.'s old pill boxes. You could Buy your own New Boxes (different color and/or different size).

I can assure that Some Sort of Tracking System greatly reduces errors, especially Double Dosing, but also provides a means of checking to catch Missed Doses.

I use Both the Boxes and a Monthly Data Sheet (numbered 1 to 31) to track Daily Doses of medications.
I typically miss 2 or 3 doses per Year, usually catching them the next morning, and have Never Double Dosed (to the best of my knowledge).

Laura, what does "popped a leaflet" mean exactly?

As for the valves, I just turned 60 and my surgeon recommended tissue for me (bovine, Edwards perimount valve which is touted to last 20 years.) He said he felt I had made the right choice and that if he was me that was what he would do, so that was reassuring! But you're 46, that's a lot younger .... It really is a hard decision and requires a lot of thought and prayer and then just "knowing" in your heart what is best for you, and doing that. Good luck!!!!

--Valerie

Lifestyles are generally unaffected by either valve. Use common sense. Those that claim otherwise are limiting themselves.

I guess we'll never get past the reops are more dangerous then Coumadin thing. Some of you feel reops are no big deal and those of us on Coumadin feel it's not big deal. We can all post studies forever, but it's the individuals life that is affected, not the studies. I haven't seen anyone in here die from taking Coumadin, I have seen them die from heart sugery. The In Loving Memory forum will verify that. Take what you will from all comments made and lets let this thread go away. 4 threads on mechanical and tissue valves in one week is a little much.

Lifestyles are unaffected by either valve. Those that claim otherwise are limiting themselves.

The only limit I see is not being able to do competitive contact sports. Not huge but something to think about if you enjoy playing hockey, football , rugby or Soccer(Not contact I know but a goodly amount more head bashes than other sports).

The only limit I see is not being able to do competitive contact sports. Not huge but something to think about if you enjoy playing hockey, football , rugby or Soccer(Not contact I know but a goodly amount more head bashes than other sports).

At 57, my football and hockey days are long in the past, but that has nothing to do with my heart.

I've become an active triathlete since my surgery and probably the riskiest thing I do is cycling on public roads. I never ride without my helmet, but worrying about Coumadin is the last thing on my mind.

I was talking to a guy at work couple of weeks ago. He's an MBA, but because he spent a semester in medical school 40 years ago, he considers himself to be an expert on all things medical. He told me in no uncertain terms that people on Coumadin routinely die from spontaneous brain bleeds caused by the Coumadin. I told him if I was doomed anyway, I might as well enjoy myself while I was waiting to keel over.

Mark

I can assure that Some Sort of Tracking System greatly reduces errors, especially Double Dosing, but also provides a means of checking to catch Missed Doses.
).

I very much agree. A 79c pill box will save a lot of uncertainty and anxiety. After awhile taking pills, I now take 4 Rx( only one is valve related-warfarin) and 2 OTC, it becomes pretty automatic. Ever so often I have to look at the pill box to see if the lid is "up". If the lid is "down", I forgot to take them. It is the simplest "fail safe" method I ever found....my only complaint is that it takes me 10 minutes every Sunday to "reload"

Better to have a third consult ! Tissue valve durability is still no more than 10 years for people of your age. Other statement are just marketing.

Latest posts

Back