Happy to be here again.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdfd

Hi all.

I'm back home. I had my AV replaced with a Carbomedics mechanical one and my ascending aorta replaced too with a Dacron graft. The surgery was performed at the Montreal General Hospital by dr. Christo I. Tchervenkov. My problem is my heart rate that is still around 100, two weeks after the surgery.
Any thoughts?

Regards,

Gdfd

Welcome to this side of the mountain. Don't have any thoughts on the heart rate, thought. Hopefully others will be along shortly who can provide some insights.

Hello Gdfd, good to hear from you!
How was your experience at the MGH? My Mom had dialysis there.
About the heart rate, I had the same thing 2 weeks post op and it made me nervous.
They put me on Metoprolol and it helped alot. What meds are you taking?

Hi Bina.

I take Metoprolol. I hope it will work too. My surgeon described the surgery as a wery good one. I spent at the ICU only 24 hours (the shortest time possible.) Except the fast hearth rate and a small fever (that seems to come from the surgery site) I'm fine.

Regards,

gdfd

I also had a very small fever, no problem. Drink lots of water and try not to eat salt, no caffeine, and no chocolate..... at least until your heart settles down in a few weeks.
Rest often, you have your life ahead of you.:)

gdfd said:
Hi Bina.

I take Metropolol. I hope it will work too. My surgeon described the surgery as a wery good one. I spent at the ICU only 24 hours (the shortest time possible.) Except the fast hearth rate and a small fever (that seems to come from the surgery site) I'm fine.

Regards,

gdfd

Congradulations. What is your temp? Did the fever just start?

In fact the fewer was more important after the surgery but wend down gradually. Now it's 99.5 F.

Regards,

gdfd.

Welcome from another Quebecker (Brossard to be exact, although all my activities are in Montreal proper).

I've always had a rather high HR although it became even a bit higher after surgery, so I am now on 25 mg per day (12½ mg twice a day) of Metoprolol. Since it is such a small dose, it does not cause any side effects other than vivid dreams. A lot of people are able to get off it eventually, but I'm sure I'll be on it forever. As long as I don't get the side effects with the small dose, that's OK with me.

So glad your surgery went well.

I've been on metoprolol since my surgery 16 years ago for a bit of a higher heart rate.

My heartrate ran 105-110 for six weeks after replacement. I gradually worked it down to 85 or so. I resumed exercising at about the six weeks mark, and that helped to lower it.

If you're having a low grade fever, that will increase your heartrate.
I would be less concerned with the heartrate at this time, and more with the fever.

Glad to read your post; happy to hear you're doing well. Take care and post again.

As usual I'm the odd ball here. After my surgery and for several weeks after that my heart rate was in the 65-70 range. It gradually worked it's way back up to what's normal for me (~80 bpm). I was taking Toprol XL before and after surgery. Then at my annual checkup in 06 with my ACHD cardio at Duke he said I no longer needed to be on it because their was no dilation in my autograft and aortic root. After going off the Toprol XL my heart rate increased to around 90 and I was a bit concerned. After being off of the Toprol for about a month my HR settled in the low 80's. IMO when your heart has been traumatized during surgery it's going to be a little cranky for awhile. Some may see higher than normal HR and some might see lower. It also depends on what kinds of drugs you're on. I'd give it a little while and see if it comes down...BUT...anytime you're not comfortable about something after having surgery do not hesitate to call your surgeon. He's been paid well for his services which includes after care of his patients.

Latest posts

Back