Had my first cup of coffee in 3 yrs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

Well today at 8 weeks post op I had my first cup of coffee in 3 yrs. My doctor told me to quit drinking any form of caffeine because they seemed to make the arrhythmia worse at times. I also had a soda this week (not the Sierra mist kind). So the Maze they did really must have worked. I haven't had a single arrhythmia since the surgery. Before that I was having like 7-8 of them a day. I am very happy with this.

I go see the cardiologist next week for a follow up and and the routine chest xray. I am going to talk to him about the possibility of bringing in a pulmonologist because my SOB is worse with the diaphragm so high and sitting on my lung. A RN friend of mine listened to that lung last week and she can barely hear it. They "say" it should fall back into place in 3-6 months which I think is BS. I am really starting to get worried about it. I feel worse as far as SOB goes than I did before the surgery. I have only found one person on here that have had their diaphragm moved up during surgery so this isn't "normal" as they say. I will let ya all know what they say next week.

Glad to hear you've had no arrythmias, Laura! Also glad you can indulge in a little caffine. I can't have much either, but have to have that first cup in the morning!

I'd definately look into the diaphragm/lung thing...that doesn't sound right to me. It's always something isn't it? Good luck and keep us posted on what your card says!

Dee

I'm glad to read that you can now consume coffee.:) If I had my way, they'd put an IV line in and pump the stuff through me before I ever attempted to move in the morning.;)

This is very good news Laura, good show I must say!

BUT......how did the coffee taste?

Sure do wish you the best of luck next week.

Laura i'd like to know also how it tasted also, cus i still cannot tolerate
coffee and my surgery was Jan/09 This is someone who drank pots aday (ME)
The smell even nauseates me and certain foods i at one time liked does this also. cardio says it was the amiodarone drug,i sure hope my coffee comes back,cus it still haunts me daily why i'm like this still use my coffee cup
but with ice,since surgery i'm addicted to ice chips.Go through bags and bags of ice chips.

zipper2 (DEB)

Laura, glad to hear tha after the surgery your arrhythmias have not occurred. They
will be doing a maze procedure on me and I am hoping for the same thing. Sitting
here in the hospital on the monitor, they come in and check on me because of the
PVCs and other irregular heart beats. I have cut out coffee also, but sure miss
it some mornings. Laura

Laura i'd like to know also how it tasted also, cus i still cannot tolerate
coffee and my surgery was Jan/09 This is someone who drank pots aday (ME)
The smell even nauseates me and certain foods i at one time liked does this also. cardio says it was the amiodarone drug,i sure hope my coffee comes back,cus it still haunts me daily why i'm like this still use my coffee cup
but with ice,since surgery i'm addicted to ice chips.Go through bags and bags of ice chips.

zipper2 (DEB)

There are still some things I can't tolerate after surgery... Apple juice, ice cream, kool aid, tacos, spaghetti or ranch dressing. Popcorn tastes different sometimes too. I am hoping at least some of these things I will be tolerate at some point.... Especially speghetti. I love ice too. Even though it made me throw up in the hospital, i still love it.

I always drink one cup of coffee in the morning. Then I make myself drink water. Glad to hear the arrythmyias are gone. That is great news. Hope the cardio can help you next week. Best of luck.

My tastebuds took a vacation for a few months. Now,I can say they are back and causing me great despair! I had such a desire for crushed ice when I got home,I went on Amazon and bought an ice crusher. When I do make a trip to a restaurant,if the ice is really good,I always ask for a cup to take out. Thankfully my ice munching doesnt bother my b/f. I cant get enough.

I was using decaf ice tea before surgery and am sticking to that. I have to have a small cup of coffee in the morning with real sugar and milk.

There are still some things I can't tolerate after surgery... Apple juice, ice cream, kool aid, tacos, spaghetti or ranch dressing. Popcorn tastes different sometimes too. I am hoping at least some of these things I will be tolerate at some point.... Especially speghetti. I love ice too. Even though it made me throw up in the hospital, i still love it.

Well I hate to burst anyone's bubble here, but its been just over 2 years for me and ice cream still doesn't taste good, nor does popcorn. Heck I'm beginning to think I will never taste the real taste of food again :(

Well I hate to burst anyone's bubble here, but its been just over 2 years for me and ice cream still doesn't taste good, nor does popcorn. Heck I'm beginning to think I will never taste the real taste of food again :(

This, my friends, is the real tragedy of OHS right here...losing your taste for ice cream.
No more Buster Bars?!

In the ICU the morning after my Bentall surgery I was surprised when they made me move from the bed to a chair. Because of the condition I was in, and all the tubes and wires connected to me, I didn't exactly hop to it. It took me, my nurse and a male assistant there to catch me if I took a header. They kept me sitting up for a couple hours. I was even more surprised when they put a tray of breakfast in front of me and when I removed the lid from a cup the glorious aroma of coffee came over me. I took a sip and sure enough coffee! mmmmm... it tasted good. The thought occurred to me ? don't these people realize I just had OHS and shouldn't be sitting up drinking coffee?!! Although I only took a couple sips it told me that life was still out there. Unfortunately I no longer tolerate caffeine and can even feel the caffeine in de-caf. I feel better avoiding caffeine entirely with the exception of occasional chocolate.

Seth, I'm part of the chest thumping group too....no caffeine for me.
Occasionally a small piece of milk chocolate is a nice treat.
When I was a few weeks post op my daughter would bring some Iced Capuccinos for a treat. Just a few sips of that would get me thumping. It wasn't worth it.

In the ICU the morning after my Bentall surgery I was surprised when they made me move from the bed to a chair. Because of the condition I was in, and all the tubes and wires connected to me, I didn't exactly hop to it. It took me, my nurse and a male assistant there to catch me if I took a header. They kept me sitting up for a couple hours. I was even more surprised when they put a tray of breakfast in front of me and when I removed the lid from a cup the glorious aroma of coffee came over me. I took a sip and sure enough coffee! mmmmm... it tasted good. The thought occurred to me ? don't these people realize I just had OHS and shouldn't be sitting up drinking coffee?!! Although I only took a couple sips it told me that life was still out there. Unfortunately I no longer tolerate caffeine and can even feel the caffeine in de-caf. I feel better avoiding caffeine entirely with the exception of occasional chocolate.

Man I couldn't even think of any sort of food in the ICU the morning after my surgery. It was hard enough getting from the bed to the chair for the first time. .Also had 3 people helping me

Latest posts

Back