Graph Longevity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R&N Brown

I was just reviewing a few of the most recent posts by Bonzo Dog,
(I continue to wish him well with his 3rd surgery, last mention does not sound all that good.)
In one of his last posts here he made this statement;

Quote" This is a 3rd VR. The second was a post endocarditis, mech valve out, homograft root and valve in. The graft is now 11 years, heavily calcified and incompetent so it's time to say goodbye to it. Artificial root and mech valve to go in. Much as pic below, except my coronary arteries are fused onto the graft and calcified rigid at the root end, so they will be made up with Dacron for an inch or so and then sewn onto the new root. Quote"

Question; Is this the normal life cycle for an Aortic graph?

Rob

Good Question!

Note that it is an Aortic GRAFT (NOT graph).

Sorry, I have no idea how long they last
and don't recall reading much about that issue.

You could research that issue starting with a Search on VR.com for Keyword "Graft" or "Aortic Grapft" and then expand to Google or one of the more sophisticated search engines (ASK.com or one of the new ones - I have forgotten their names).

Good Luck!

You can see where my terminology is strong, thank you for the correction.

I will do a little research and post any findings here. I expect I will talk with my Cardio on Tuesday when I call my numbers in. We always talked about the durability of the
On-X valve not the Graft. As with Bonzo my coronary arteries are fused into my graft.

Any one else living with this same procedure?

Has anyone here on the board had conversation with their medical providers or experience with a graft, good or bad?

Again Al, thanks for the suggestions and proper terminology.

Rob

Are you talking about a dacron graft? quite a few members have a valve and graft. They should pretty much last forever. Bonzo had a homograft which is completely different, if that is your worry.

Hello Lyn,
Yes that was my worry, I have a Dacron graft, I see now in Bonzo's post the difference. Relief!

I chose a mechanical valve so as not to have to hopefully ever do this again.

Bad terminology first , missed details second. Back to the sidelines Rob!

Thank you both for your assistance.

Rob

Latest posts

Back