Going to the cardiologist for the first time..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok got some numbers. My Aortic Valve is at .69 and my Aorta is at 6. Cardiologist said if I wasnt scheduled for surgery next wednesday he would wheel me over to the hospital right now. I like this guy and I like my surgeon. I am completely at peace with my choices now. Asked him how long on average for breathing tube he told me two days. Aaack. My one thing I am not "looking forward too"

I would really ask your doc why. I don't know if there's other stuff going on with you to cause this or if it's a preference of his or what. That used to be the standard years ago, but now most are extubated within a few hours after surgery.

If you do end up with it being in that long, don't worry. You will be kept sedated and probably mostly unaware of your surroundings and what's going on.

That is my biggest fear! Is it like what they cram down your throat for general surgery?

Penny, this was one of my biggest fears, too. My experience of it was that it was no big deal at all. Yes, it's the same type of breathing tube used for any surgery when you're under general anesthesia.

When I woke up if it weren't for the taste of plastic in my mouth, I really wasn't aware of it. I didn't find it bothersome or annoying. Remember, when you wake up, it will not be anything like your present waking consciousness. You're still going to be quite out of it.

The tube was a big concern for me also. My surgeon said to just let it breath for me and to not worry about it. Well, he was right. At first when I started to wake up, I thought I was not getting enough air but I remembered my surgeons words and very very soon I was asleep again. I don't hardly remember the breathing tube except for when they told me they were ready to take it out. I thought, well now why would you go and do that? You see, the machine breathing for me had become my norm and I remember thinking it was nice having the machine do all the work. Near as I can recall the tube was in for 3 or 4 hours but I was sleeping for about 99% of those hours.

i hope im asleep 100% of the time for it. Im not looking forward to that or the foley cath coming out. The tubes in my side dont sound appealing either. Im going to feel like a borg from Star trek. But you know what they say .. Resistance is Futile.

Last edited:
i hope im asleep 100% of the time for it. Im not looking forward to that or the foley cath coming out. The tubes in my side dont sound appealing either. Im going to feel like a borg from Star trek. But you know what they say .. Resistance is Futile.

Oh, Robb, the Foley coming out is totally nothing! Going in is another story, but you'll be out like a light when they do that. The breathing tube coming out did not hurt either. As for the chest tubes, a minor annoyance now and then, but not painful or a big deal. I don't think I'm exaggerating one bit when I say that all the stuff about this surgery really does sound a whole lot worse than it actually is.

HEH!! Its easier for all of you guys to say. Youve drinking the Welcome To the other side Kool Aid. Me im looking at the packet still waiting to be able to open it up and add water sugar and stir. All joking aside. IM sure it wont be as bad as im acting but still..

Robb glad your happy with your new Doctor makes the experience so much better.
I was concerned about the tube too , after the surgery and seeing my family , I woke up a 2nd time and got a little anxious .The nurse told me take it easy need to sleep a little longer before we take the tube out and gave me a little more medication to relax . When I woke up the tube was then taken out. The tubes you get used to it's all part of you and yes you feel like a borg.

Robb & Penny hang on your almost there , before you know it you'll be drinking Kool Aid.

well if it is the same as from when I had surgery before then it will be a piece of cake. I don't even remember them taking it out. Did have a sore throat though...:) I feel so much better. thanks Luana

I don't even remember my throat being sore. I was thirsty after it came out and my nurse spoon-fed me ice chips. She also spoon-fed me my liquid dinner. I felt like a baby robin. She was exceptionally wonderful. :angel:

Latest posts

Back